Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

Guest lightheart

IMHO it is not a cough. The syllables I suggested were not to represent the possible sound just the rhythm/cadence. Sunflower I think your take on it more closely approximates the actual sounds. There seems to be an a sound like the a in hat. Can't make out anything else .

LCB I think they sometimes eat egrets and other water birds in my area so I don't think think geese are out of the question.

Well I finished going through that nights recording the one with the 5 knocks and whatever else that was, and

I also captured some stranger sounding coyote or possible wolf/coyote hybrid sounds.  I am really not sure what

the vocalization was and I will attempt to clear up the recording somehow.  Thanks for all the input.  I am not suggesting

the first recording below to be anything unusual, but the second has a different feel, although is most likely coyote.

What is odd is that coyotes in my marsh usually respond to a call with the pack answering or going off, very rare to

have these lone sounds with no response.  I amplified the first recording so what out for your ears....

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

The more I listen to the "not your average coyote" I get the sense that it is not coming from a canid, especially because of the little

weird inflection at the end.  I am suspecting this one to be the juvenile trying to get a reaction from the coyotes, and would explain

the wood knocking earlier to come from the juvenile as well.  It all fits into the behavior I have recorded in the past.

Thats no coyote.wav

Yah it does have a weird kind of loonish inflection with the break in the middle and rise and pitch, hmmm... but it still has that raspy texture and

howl to it.  I have not heard anything that I knew was coyote sound like that, although they can always surprise :0  Just got through the tough part

of the golf season and may be able to focus more attention toward both recording and gathering evidence.

My wife was listening back to a Stan Courtney interview on Coast to Coast and when they played what he recorded and called the "Illinois Howl", I realized the similarity to my possible wolf recording.  I sent both of the latest vocalizations to Stan and he thought they sounded odd but were most likely coyote, and passed them on to others to review.  DWA shared the link to the below report, which adds to the continued reports of Bipedal Creatures in Northern Illinois.  See the BFRO webpage for the map which is illustrative of the possibilities near urban areas for Sasquatch.

Report # 45830 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Friday, July 11, 2014.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motorist has possible nighttime sighting in the Forest Preserves outside Chicago
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2014

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: July

DATE: 11

STATE: Illinois

COUNTY: Cook County

LOCATION DETAILS: On 95th Street west of LaGrange Road in Country Lane Woods which is part of Forest Preserves of Cook County.

NEAREST TOWN: Willow Springs

NEAREST ROAD: 95th and LaGrange

OBSERVED: I was driving home from my shift at UPS at about 4 a.m. last night. Traveling east on 95th street, most likely before Lagrange road, but I am not certain of which main cross street I was near, because I normally don't take 95th home. I was still in a heavily wooded area.

As we were driving something darted out in front of me, perhaps a block or so ahead, it ran across the street from left (north) to right. I thought it could have been a person, but it ran across the street really fast, like someone with those fancy prosthetic legs. As I approached the area, I slowed down to see if there was someone there, but no person was in sight.

Like I said, it was tall, thin, and ran fast, like it only had to take a few steps to cross both lanes.

OTHER WITNESSES: no

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 4 a.m. clear night, large moon

ENVIRONMENT: heavily wooded

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:

I spoke with the witness in phone.

In summary:

• The animal was estimated at 6 feet tall.
• The animal was thinly built.
• The hair was solid dark in coloring.
• The witness was about 200 feet from the animal when it darted across the road.
• The animal was easily seen in the headlights of the vehicle.
• Although the area is heavily wooded the moon was full and had not set yet. The moon set at 4:38 a.m. a little over a half hour after the sighting.

The Forest Preserves of Cook County manages more than 69,000 acres of public land—about 11 percent of Cook County. The ecosystems within the Forest Preserves of Cook County consist of prairies, woodlands and wetlands.

Stan sent the previous recording to some colleagues in order to vet them for possible unknown origin

and they concluded them to be coyote, and I would have to agree that is the most likely origin.  The fact

remains that the only thing that I have recorded that is really in question is the origin of the tree knocks.

That remains a mystery, perhaps I will one day solve.  I do not have to defend their honesty although I

know that would be quite easy to hoax, hopefully you realize that I am in no way interested in hoaxing

anything, and that what I present for debate is simply what I have recorded and that is untainted.  I am

certainly capable of being wrong on all accounts, I may discover on of my neighbors is stick knocking

perhaps for the same reason I might, to see if there is a response, but that would only indicate the neighbor having

experienced something for themselves in the past, although not willing to discuss it with me... possible....

I will continue searching...

It's pretty easy for somebody that may have never heard the coyote/BF mixture right in their back yard, or seen them walking around together in the moonlight, to say "all coyotes". How can they know? And why believe their guess instead of relying on your own experiences to tell you what is going on in those recordings?

Seems that some people think if they deny it enough, it will all go away.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Sasfooty. There's no substitute for your own ear and your own judgment. Nobody knows better than you do what you heard. You're the one who understands the context of whatever it was you heard. You're the one who has been in that same place over time and knows what's "normal" for that space, and what is not. 

We teach ourselves about the origins of different sounds, by listening to our own recordings over and over (if you're a person who makes recordings), and by placing ourselves in the field (or our own backyards) over and over and over, and finding out what happens there. The learning you do that way is more valuable than anything any "expert" could ever tell you. 

I don't know much about the woods, but I know a lot about learning, because I've been doing it every day since the day I was born, just like every human being has. Each of us has inside us that special machinery that allows us to learn whatever we want to. All we have to do is decide what it is we want to learn about, and then focus our attention there. Through that focus, learning happens.

As I say, when I started going to the woods to learn about the people who live there, I didn't know anything about the woods. But I listen to the sounds as closely as my bad hearing allows, and I can detect patterns and note variations and compare things, just like the "experts" do, and I do that by using the standard-issue equipment we all have: our ears and our brains.

One evening, while sitting in one spot in the woods, I heard a sound that seemed completely natural and unremarkable, so I completely disregarded it, and my mind wandered to other things. After a while, I became aware that the sound was recurring. It was a "natural" sound, but its frequency (and loudness) started to seem a little odd. Then I started singing, and I noticed that the sounds would stop while I was singing, and start up again when I stopped singing. Finally, I began talking directly to my invisible audience. When I finished singing, I said out loud, "Well, that's it for the night; I've really enjoyed singing for you." The instant I stopped talking, I heard a thunderous "whack": The sound of wood on wood.

In that moment, I finally understood all the sounds I'd been hearing for the previous hour or so. Those "natural sounds" I'd been hearing had been coming from a hairy person (or persons?) who were trying to make contact in a gradual, non-threatening, non-scary way. But I was completely oblivious at first. It was only over time that I started to recognize the significance of what I was hearing. I taught myself, over time, what those sounds meant, simply by staying in one place, listening, and staying alert.  

Please notice that I said I disregarded the "natural sound" when I first heard it. Even though I had had interactions with BF before this point, I didn't leap to a conclusion about what I was hearing, the instant I heard it. I had to learn what I was hearing. I went through a learning process in that half hour or hour I spent in the woods that day. 

Of course, some learning requires a lot more time than that particular piece of learning did. But learning always follows the same basic trajectory. We start at zero (or close to it), have some experiences, and then through those experiences, acquire wisdom. Trust that process, and trust yourself, and trust both those things above the words of others. 

• Upvote 2

Well the previous posts were awesome, thanks Leaftalker and Sasfooty,  I still did believe that the second recording, not your average coyote was

something unusual, and the recording I have from last year with the siren, coyotes, and wood knocks, I believe the very beginning of that is coyote

imitation,  the skeptics will always argue, and I too argue at times in my own mind.  Sometimes belief wins over doubt, and sometimes the larger context

of the recording makes that a lot easier, say in the case of the other night when the wood knocks occurred first, then the strange vocalizations.  Of course

it is far more likely that coyotes account for unusual howls, but until I see one tree knocking....

Yes, I agree. Context is sooooo important. I'm so glad you know that, and know how to trust it. 

I also want to say, just by the by, that I've seen your diplomatic handling of people who know far less than you do, and have very much admired that. I also know how strong-minded you are, and how able you are to accept yourself as the true authority in your own life (as we all need to do). It's pretty cool, and I'm glad you're here, showing us your process, and showing us what integrity looks like.   :)

Edited by LeafTalker
  • Upvote 1

Well as far as being here, I really do not have a choice.  I need this thread to remain sane!

The outlet and feedback it provides is invaluable, as are all of you guys.  I would not be able

to cope with the subject without this forum, well at least not nearly as well.

I know what you mean... There's always an exchange going on -- an exchange of gifts, I mean... Sometimes it's hard to see what the gift is, but I think it's always there.... 

• Upvote 1

Guest lightheart

LCB. It is good to have others with similar experiences to be able to talk these things over with. Sometimes it can be a bit unsettling....

I sometimes just take a week off from my tromps in the woods if it becomes too much which it has a few times.. It helps to turn your focus to other things to get re grounded and comfortable. I go back when I feel that sense of balance once again. If I feel off in any way, less than joyous I make it a point not to go. My thought is that if I am feeling positive when I go it is much more likely that they will sense that and any interaction will do no harm to either. That is my stance to do no harm.