Bigfoot For Dummies

Guest andy1867

Guest andy1867

Its great reading everything on the forum, really interesting but a little intimidating for a newbie.

The information on here is vast, every argument or enquiry seems to have been dealt with somewhere on the forum.

Any chance we could keep this thread for simple dumbass questions?

Ive got hundreds .

It must be annoying for folk who have been on here ages, and know the subject inside out when someone like me asks about  the blindingly obvious.

I'm simply trying to take it all bit by bit, but its easy to get sidetracked, 

I started off with the PGF , thats the first thing I can remember, as a kid watching that grainy footage.

So I spent an hour or so watching stuff on you tube about a recent search for the original filming site, but then in the middle of all that suddenly saw a you tube link to "Finding Bigfoot"...So started watching some of them, but after a few "Did you hear that!!!!! s",... realised i couldn't "hear that" and ended up watching the Freeman thingy...

What I'm sorta saying is...thats how you get dragged about on the subject, no matter how hard you concentrate.

So if you don't mind, and by all means feel free to tell me to bugger off, or the more polite, simply point me in the right direction..

What would you lads consider the best book to buy on the subject..or maybe the best documentary to watch?

Thanks for your time

Andy

I think a "Complete idiot's thread on BF" is a great idea.  There are some people here who are extremely versed in various aspects, from the DNA stuff to PGF to sightings reports, to various other famous videos and everything in between.  There have been more than a few times where I've seen a question asked, only to be told to search for it an learn it on your own type of responses - which is sad imo.  I think a place to ask any question you want without the "holier than thou" posters, who may tire of answering the same questions over and over, simply don't have to click on it. 

Guest andy1867

I think a "Complete idiot's thread on BF" is a great idea.  There are some people here who are extremely versed in various aspects, from the DNA stuff to PGF to sightings reports, to various other famous videos and everything in between.  There have been more than a few times where I've seen a question asked, only to be told to search for it an learn it on your own type of responses - which is sad imo.  I think a place to ask any question you want without the "holier than thou" posters, who may tire of answering the same questions over and over, simply don't have to click on it. 

THats more or less it Nod...Its fair enough folk not wanting the groundhog same, old same old stuff, I can fully understand it, but somewhere to simply start for someone like myself would be very helpful...where you would not sorta feel like an idiot if you asked a dumb question

SSR Team

Books - Raincoast Sasquatch and Paulides two books, Tribal Bigfoot and The Hoopa Project are all very good books if you like reading about sightings and encounters.

Documentaries - Here's a good start ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYb2TgsPrmc

Although I am quite firmly in the far right of the skeptical camp let's say, I can recommend a book or two that I found to be a good read during my Bigfoot studies. 

My first recommendation would be The Discovery of the Sasquatch (2010) Bindernagel.  It has to be ordered from a small press company and it retails for about $50, but it's a pretty good read. 

I would recommend reading the many hundreds of stories in our SIGHTINGS section! We could actually organize a very good book just of the members here and their observations and experiences!

KB

SSR Team

Although I am quite firmly in the far right of the skeptical camp let's say, I can recommend a book or two that I found to be a good read during my Bigfoot studies. 

My first recommendation would be The Discovery of the Sasquatch (2010) Bindernagel.  It has to be ordered from a small press company and it retails for about $50, but it's a pretty good read. 

It's nowhere near worth that money though ( yes i have it ).

You're much better off getting two or even three of the ones i mentioned for that same money.

There is a certain amount of heavy lifting involved here, if one wants to avoid sounding like the knee-jerkers who do, indeed, ask the same stuff over and over...and never listen to the answers.

Here is my reading list, and I consider this minimum for anyone who wants to be decently informed on this topic:

• Meldrum's Sasquatch:  Legend Meets Science;
  • Bindernagel's North America's Great Ape and The Discovery of the Sasquatch;
  • Alley's Raincoast Sasquatch;

...and, finally, and I know I'll hear about this:

• All of the reports on the BFRO; NAWAC; and John Green databases.  Right.  All of them.

IMO The most annoying assertions on here over and over (and over and over), saying:  oh, you can explain all the sightings by

[pick one of the following eyewitness maladies:  nuttiness; plaincraziness; or eyewitness testimony is bad evidence.]

Every explanation the skeptics toss at the wall can be handily circ-filed by anyone who has read those reports.  Anyone who is telling me that all of them add up to a false positive needs to give me an explanation for that stance that won't make me laugh.  No one has done that yet.

So maybe what I'm saying is:  if you haven't read those reports...keep your opinion of the eyewitness testimony to yourself and we will get along fine.

Maybe you can tell I have had a rough day.

Edited by DWA
to bring to compliance

" So maybe what I'm saying is:  if you haven't read those reports...keep your opinion of the eyewitness testimony to yourself and we will get along fine" -DWA

My bold.

Sorry, but I thought this was an open forum where all opinions were welcomed, not just those that agree with DWA? 

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

^^^ Hey,now. I wasn't saying anything about proof or evidence :)

Sorry, but skeptics have a right to post their opinion whether or not DWA likes or if it will help one get along with any single poster. The statement rankles. 

Edited by dmaker

The books listed above are very good, but the best book for someone who is trying to learn about this is probably Legend Meets Science by Jeff Meldrum. It's much more than relating stories and really explains in laymen terms the reasons why this could be a very real animal and a very good book to start with. My personal favorite is Raincoast Sasquatch, but it doesn't go into as much depth as LMS as far as other areas of evidence.

It would also be a good idea to read up not only on all of the sightings, but also some of the skeptical arguments. I have found some of these arguments to be with merit, but many others that really fall short. Somewhere in all you learn will be the truth, but you will have to weed through a bunch of garbage to get there. Good luck Andy. UPs