Is The"defensive Freeze"....defensive?

hiflier

Branco,

Who moved first???

Well,  --------, uh ----, his whole body moved first------, the best I recollect-----, although  -----Ah, never mind.

Guest zenmonkey

I have a friend (used to post here back in the first forum) the guy is like my yoda for bigfooting. He told me about a time when he was with the BFRO I believe in the late 90s in maryland he had gotten a report called in about a ape in the area. Said he wasnt prepared to investigate but he was close to the area. Said he pulled off of the highway was walking to the trunk of his car looked to his right and frozen in basically open sight was a huge what he thought was a male bigfoot. He said he just looked at it for a while then he waved and started jumping up and down making noise at it trying to get it to move, it wouldn't  Then he slowly walked around the other side of his car what would of been closer to the animal and it unfroze and walked off. take it for what ya will but vision is based on movement his theory was it was going to play this "I'm a tree" game until it had a chance to flee.  BTW his impression of it was CREEPY!!        Zen

An animal freezes so it can see better,  it freezes so it can hear better.

An animal walking through snow or leaves can not hear as well as it can when it is perfectly still.  When an animal moves, things that are still look like they are moving, a predator would be harder to see if the animal is moving.

Guest zenmonkey

^^^^This sounds a lot like this one, my favorite MD report...only in this one the animal never moves and he finally just has to leave as it's too dark to see it...

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3214

awesome!! Ya I realize being here behind the safety of my mac book its easy to say but I couldn't just have a stare down. id "like" to think that id have to advance and make a step closer towards the animal try to approach it. I realize the potential danger but its the probably one and only chance you will ever get to get close to this animal.

^^^Well, I don't think I could just stand there either.  I tend to want to force the issue, make the animal do something...and get arrested by a ranger for harrassment.

KIDDING.  KIDDING.  I KID.

But not about the ...shoot, I couldn't stand there like a phone pole.  I'd have to see what it would do, ya know?

Evidence is on the side of "it would run."  So, even as I was sticking my head down there for the Goodbye Kiss, I'd be saying, don't worry, we'll...um....meet again...

Guest zenmonkey

^^^Well, I don't think I could just stand there either.  I tend to want to force the issue, make the animal do something...and get arrested by a ranger for harrassment.

KIDDING.  KIDDING.  I KID.

But not about the ...shoot, I couldn't stand there like a phone pole.  I'd have to see what it would do, ya know?

Evidence is on the side of "it would run."  So, even as I was sticking my head down there for the Goodbye Kiss, I'd be saying, don't worry, we'll...um....meet again...

Ya totally man risk vs reward and I think being the first person to get attacked by a bigfoot would be worth finding out lol

Male Bigfoot, in the South, begin cautiously moving from their bedding areas an hour or more before dark to begin foraging or to go for water. (Many time crows have tipped me off about these movements. Interesting but not pertinent to the thread.) From the time they start moving until dark, they spend much more time standing still, quietly watching and listening than they do moving. They have acute hearing at all times, but I believe they start moving before dark to give their eyes a chance to adjust to the diminishing light. I and many others, mostly hunters, have known about that habit and trait for several years.

Included below is a brief section of a report of an event that I investigated in Dallas County, AL near Benton in 2007. The incident occurred in 1993, and was written up in the Alabama Game and Fish magazine that year. That article was entitled "Stalked in Dallas County". I was alerted by the owners of a nearby commercial hunting lodge that there was more to the story than was published, so I contacted the witness and went back to the site with him, although he had refused to go back to the area since his experience. Here is the part of his report pertinent to this thread.

"Details of Encounter / Incident: During the early part of twilight Greg began to notice a very strong, musky animal smell. A short time later he heard the sound of crackling brush due south of his stand, but could see nothing moving for a few minutes. Then he noticed movement in the brush just the other side of an old fence that runs somewhat east and west and corners about 150 yards to his left. Within seconds he detected a large dark colored animal moving very slowly through the brush about 150 yards south of him. He could see the shape and size of the animal, and he immediately decided it was a large black bear -an animal somewhat uncommon in the area. The animal's movements were unusually slow and it stopped every few steps and remained perfectly still for ten or more minutes. The animal slowly moved, with long periods of remaining motionless, until it reached a small area of more open woods slightly to his left, and about 60 yards away. By that time Greg was not sure what he was seeing. In the more open area, the animal stopped and stood fully erect. At that time Greg could see that it was not a bear, and he began to become very alarmed.

As he watched carefully, the animal stretched out one arm and picked something off a nearby tree or bush and placed it in its mouth. It took another few steps while still on two feet, and again reached to pick something off a bush or tree and place it in his mouth. Greg could not comprehend what he was seeing. The creature was more man or ape-like than a bear, and its movements on two feet were totally man-like. He considered the possibility that what he was seeing was a deranged black person without clothes that was gathering berries or fruit to eat. He discounted that idea because there were no fruits or berries ripe at the elevations the animal had been reaching. He came to the shocking conclusion that whatever it was, it was eating leaves. During that period he could hear the animal making small "popping but muffled" sounds.

It seemed to Greg that the animal would never get past him. The animal was still in view and it was fast approaching total darkness. The animal continued it's slow progress to his left, continuing to stop to remain perfectly still for what Greg thought was an unbearably long time. Eventually it reached an old trail just past the land's corner post, and in a few minutes it was out of sight in a dense thicket on the other side of the trail."

The best parts of Greg's experience comes later, but don't relate to the thread's topic.

Edited by Branco

Guest lightheart

Branco   Interesting insights into pre-dusk behaviors. The Sasquatch pauses often, nibbles a few leaves, remains motionless for periods of ten minutes or more. Kind of reminds me of when i wake up in the morning. Do you think they spend the late morning and afternoons sleeping? Your idea of them needing a period of adjustment for their eyes also sounds plausible.

Hello lightheart,

Do you think they spend the late morning and afternoons sleeping?

Could depend on how many breakfast beers they had. Kidding aside, the season and weather could be a factor in that. I do so wish someone could take all this information and study it enough so that we could have a resident expert. Branco you're the closest I've seen to one and we're fortunate to have you around. I hope you're passing this stuff on as written text 'cause if you're not then I may have to start keeping your posts for future reference. As a compliment that may be as good a one as I can think of..

I line in central Arkansas. I first start trying to find and study the things in the Ouachita Mountains about 40 years ago after some friends and I heard one of them vocalize near our deer camp one cold December night. Never before heard any such loud and long unbroken human-like vocalizations. I quit hunting with a gun after that week. Had to know. Took me five years to find their tracks and one group's bedding area. Camped in that area every chance I got. Took two more years to entice one of the big male to walk up to the back of truck-camper at 2 AM. He was within two feet of me. The river bottoms of Arkansas, plus The Ozarks  Mountains were the primary locations that I learned, without a doubt, that the things existed, were not monster's, and that they would interact with people that posed no threat to them if given the chance. 

After that I started a business that would allow me to finance my hobby, and permit trips into twelve Southeastern states so that I could spend a lot of time in the counties had know populations of BF. I worked and learned more in the State of Alabama than any other place, although West Virginia, Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Missouri and Kentucky were the best other states in that order.

And I did learn a lot, but that was done by gaining the confidence of the older local residents that had learned A LOT MORE than I. Going into woods with someone who can show you evidence of the presence of them is an awesome way to learn. Enjoyed every minute of it.

I confine my field work to AR now. Can't make those 10 to 16 hour drives any more. 

• Like 1

The best parts of Greg's experience comes later, but don't relate to the thread's topic.

I appreciate you keeping the thread on topic, but now I'm really wanting to hear the best part of the story!

Branco, you really should start a thread about your experiences. I'm sure there are lots of folks here who would love to hear about them!