The Oldest Dna Evidence Yet Of Humans With An Interesting Twist

NathanFooter

Well, I did note the pulling off topic, and as I said, done with it here.

The scientific mainstream gives me little to be confident about.  Would you, after you correctly placed the third piece of a 1,000-piece jigsaw puzzle, triumphantly yell "SOLVED!"

They do it, every time.  With a much, much bigger puzzle to which they have a smaller percentage of the pieces.  While conveniently ignoring piles of consistent, intriguing evidence growing right in front of their faces.

Sounds like a conspiracy to me Larry. 

"Well, I did note the pulling off topic, and as I said, done with it here." DWA

I was just responding to your comment about myth, but duly noted. My apologies for assisting with off topic discussion.  I'll stay on topic.

Edited by dmaker

Sounds like a conspiracy to me Larry. 

Baffling 400,000-Year-Old Clue to Human Origins sounds conspiratorial to you?

^^ Don't forget conspiracies WSA. They get tossed into the hat too with every discussion.

And for the record it was a legitimate question in response to a theory posted that creatures of lore ( wildmen) are found in myth and legends because we once shared time and space with them. I was curious if the same theory applies to other common legends.

Edited by dmaker

So...back on topic.

The article was interesting. Could someone explain the Bigfoot connection? As far as I can tell we're talking about extinct populations:

It is possible, for example, that there are many extinct human populations that scientists have yet to discover.

How does that get to undocumented giant ape-men in North America?

So, along with Larry, your main interest in this topic is so you can say, look science got something wrong?  Therefore Bigfoot....?

One of the pillars of skeptical BF argument is the lack of a fossil record. The last few years have shown that our understanding of the fossil record is an on going pursuit. We don't know yet if there is no room in there for BF.

Edited by indiefoot

I agree. Fossil discoveries that support the claim for Bigfoot would be exciting. Uncovering evidence of previously unknown extinct human population is also extremely exciting. It is not terribly Bigfooty, but it's hugely important otherwise. 

Edited by dmaker

One of the pillars of skeptical BF argument is the lack of a fossil record. The last few years have shown that our understanding of the fossil record is an on going pursuit. We don't know yet if there is no room in there for BF.

Well, not so much a lack, really.

We may lack the living animal (although there is more evidence for its presence than we have for virtually anything extinct, and much of what we've confirmed). But there are several possible fossil candidates for sasquatch predecessors already in custody.  We may not have found the fossils in NA yet, but we keep finding out that we aren't near fairly started in finding fossils.

Edited by DWA

I see the signifigance as just the latest example of how varied and weird the human family tree is.

Secondarily, yes, it points out the perils of ever saying we've got things sussed correctly on that front, and on many others.  If you keep your eye on these developments, and others, you come to accept that the idea of BF ain't much of a stretch. At all. This planet and its occupants are seriously bizarre. Ain't it grand?

Lastly,  It just shows to go you that it pays to stay curious. I applaud those folks doing work in the field who are open to possibilties like this. They make all of us smarter.