What Is Sasquatch?

norseman

I figure the confirmation of the animal will require us to redraw all kinds of definitions, especially what constitutes Homo, and what doesn't. My personal bet as to what defines our evolutionary trajectory, and contrasts with theirs, is the opposable thumb, or lack of it in their case. There is some suggestion in the sighting reports and other observations that they may not possess truly opposable thumbs that would allow them the fine, dexterous motor skills humans have. As an evolutionary determinant, the lack of that forecloses most tool use and fire would definitely be close to the top of the list. Flint napping would be up there as well.

Branco, have you any thoughts on this theory, based on your observations in the field?

Wow thanks Branco! There is a lot of good information there. So do you think then that the three types represent Neanderthal, Archaic African, and Asian?
Well basically it appears they may be the descendants of the offspring arising from the cross-breeding of the archaic hominids and early modern humans from various areas.

Interesting that your base information for dividing the three types seems to be the composition of the hair.
Since we have no (public available) DNA from the creatures; hair samples seem to be the only way to sort them. Hair exams are usually a pretty good means of determining species of animals and the lineage of humans, although it has proven to be unreliable in identifying individual humans or animals of the same the same lineage. It's about all we have to go on now as far as Bigfoot type creatures are concerned.

You didn't mention language use for any of the types except Big Red. Do the others seem to have a language at all?
There have been several documented cases of the black ones "talking gibberish" and monkey-like sounds, but nothing like any known human language. The family of people in the long-term encounters in Cullman County, Alabama I investigated and wrote about, told about the female "Black Thing" that on occasions closely approached the children - one time holding onto the particular girls shirt sleeve - while frantically speaking in gibberish to the girl. That creature was the odd-wad type with the banana-shaped, ape-like feet. (Would sure like to get a hair sample form one of those.

One more question - sorry I respect your time in the woods and observations and I want to pick your brain a little while I have you here.LOL You mentioned feet, hands, and foraging habits. How do these break down with the three groups?
There is much know and published about that info for the "Reds" (which are not always red). The black one that is short, stocky, more ape-like with short, curled hair does not have a wide foraging range and reportedly eats about anything. Many folks in the rural area they inhabit say they sometimes raid garbage cans, and often carry the cans into the nearby woods, dumping the contents and make a big mess going through the contents. They will at times steal chickens off the roost or rabbits from pens. Local residents say they never bother livestock, but will steal fruit from trees, sometimes climbing the trees to eat their fill, but don't carry off arm loads of the fruit like the Red ones do. People in several states say they have seen them sleeping or resting in trees, especially in holly trees.

The taller, slimmer black type with long straight hair is novel in it's habit of living and foraging in large streams. They have been seen numerous times catching live and dead fish, shell fish and frogs. They have been reported in most southern states, including TX and OK.. They too have a limited foraging area, and seldom stray far from specific area of big streams. They apparently relish corn in the "roasting ears" stage, and have been known to pull armloads of the stalks with the corn attached and carry it to the banks of "their" stream and pile it up to eat at will. There have been several hunters, fishermen and landowners who swear they have seen the animals run from the woods and jump into large holes of water and seemingly disappear. (There is much more to those accounts but I'm not yet convinced of the other info. I hope to be able to check that info out this spring,)

Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

You are welcome. (Disregard any typos; got to return a bunch of phone calls.) Edited by Branco
  • Upvote 1

Branco thanks for the link to Singh's observations of the feral girls..it is extremely interesting!  Basically the description of what I witnessed on more than one occasion and great to see that in our own biology!  Definitely will look for the original source on that.  Good stuff.  Outta plusses, darn.

Sorry. I guess you're wanting to keep everything "credible".

Correct, i wasn't looking for a discussion about werewolves roaming the hinterlands . Nor was I looking for a discussion about how many species of cryptid primates people think are roaming North America today.

I was looking for a discussion about what people thought were the origins of Sasquatch.

If that question is too vague for some of us? How bout we use patty as the example.

My picture of supposed human evolution demonstrates a great amount of divergence

as well as reemergence of species.  So given this scenario Sasquatch could be a combination

of something like Heidelbergensis and Gigantopithicus or any combination of the ape species

that existed before homo's came into being, or after they had begun to diverge.

I do not think it would be strictly any one ancestor involved, but a combination of ancestors.

This fits with the most recent findings demonstrating this reemergence of specie types

and hybridization with other specie types.  I think Branco is on the right track to suggest that

more than one set of physical traits and temperament exists, though entirely related.  Just as

we see with modern Homo Sapiens, who differ in some external physical traits and are yet

entirely one specie.  Some might argue we differ in temperament as well....which is not to

say one is better or worse, only different, as in biodiversity being different is a good thing and

ensures the survival of a specie.  So as with humans we tend to gravitate toward our kind

and this in turn leads to the development of individual cultures, so with Sasquatch preferring

their kind and developing their own distinctions of primitive culture. 

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Also Branco, do you have anything to share further regarding those encounters in N. Central AL? Many thanks. Keep it comin'!

WSA: In answer to your question about about opposable thumbs, I am nearly certain they do have them. Their hand prints on vehicles, greasy garbage containers and dust-covered farm equipment very clearly show the thumb, although it is lower on the side of the hand than that of a human's. Without having seen the hand prints, I would have to conclude they must have an opposable thumb because of their ability to so accurately throw large rocks and very small pebbles, acorns, hickory nuts, etc. Another piece convincing evidence is their ability to grasp, hold and twist off the upper sections of green trees using enough pressure to strip off the outer bark leaving the cambium layers exposed. 

Off track for second. I recently read a encounter report on one of the BF group's web site in which a witness watched a BF crush a hickory nut between his thumb and fingers and casually tossed the kernels of meat into its mouth. (I seem to remember this reportedly occurred in SE TX.) Don't think their thumbs are that opposable. 

All the reports from AL were removed from the Alabama Bigfoot web site after my friend Mike McLain passed away this year. Of course I have the original reports on my computer. The "Black Thing" report with foot print photos is several pages long. Don't think the Mod's would allow me to post it. It might even be too long for a PM. (I also saved the web site versions in a jumbled mess on a blog. I just have not had time to put reports into a respectable blog shape. If I opened it to the public it would win the "worst blog blog of the year" award.)

Edited by Branco

Branco,

Very interesting reading, thank you for posting it.  Do you have any thought as to why so many BF have a conical head?

You are welcome. No, don't have a clue. It's been a mystery to me for years. Must be related to their aging process. At least the 'teenager" and mature female I saw didn't have the conical head. I don't know what the top of the big male's head looked like. I was flat of my back looking nearly straight up at night. 

Ancient Conehead-like ‘Alien’ Skulls Unearthed in Mexico

The cone-shaped heads discovered in the Mexican state of Sonora are no "SNL" sketch

Cristina Garcia / INAH

At 300 m from the Mexican town of Onavas, archaeologists discovered a site with 25 human burials, 13 of which have deformation of the skull

Follow @timenewsfeed

Maybe

was a documentary?

An archaeological discovery of 13 Conehead-shaped skulls in Mexico has people recalling the famed Saturday Night Live sketch. The bones, which are about 1,000 years old, dating back to 945 A.D. to 1308 A.D., were discovered accidentally during a dig for an irrigation system in the northwest state of Sonora in Mexico. While it’s not unheard of for archaeological sites to be unearthed during modern excavations, the misshapen skulls discovered on the site are fairly uncommon, especially as far north as Sonora. “This was a Hispanic cemetery with 25 skulls, and 13 of them have deformed heads,” Cristina Garcia Moreno, who worked on the project with Arizona State University, told ABC News. “We don’t know why this population specifically deformed their heads.”

Read more: Ancient Conehead-like Skulls Unearthed in Mexico | TIME.com http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/25/ancient-conehead-like-alien-skulls-unearthed-in-mexico/#ixzz2n2M8JLt0

post-17666-0-66560900-1386644469.png

Guest crabshack

^ they didn't specifically deformed their heads

Look at the neck angle to skull depth. And no mention of the skeletons height.