Welcome To Snow Country

Terry

Snow? Yes, we have snow. But here in MN, it gets COLD. Was 33 below on Sunday morning at my cabin in St. Louis County which is where the most BF reports have originated in this state per BFRO. Does anyone wonder how the creature can withstand those temps for such a long period of time? BF must have some of the same anatomical adaptations as snow monkeys? I just don't know. What I do know is that most skeptics scratch their thick skulls over questions like this.

MNSkeptic

Well MN, in the old days we'd have been talking about the natural reasons this could be.  I'm afraid that these days the answer is they just slip over to their other dimension where it's warm.

It's been shown that man, when acclimatized to severe cold conditions, can build tolerance.  Here, in the1920's, a "hermit" was seen running around for about 10 years in the bush. They caught him in the dead of winter and he was wearing very little clothing.  He was in good shape to.  If there were such a thing as bf, tolerance to the cold along with shelter in the extreme times may be enough.  Still, I think you're right about long periods.  It wouldn't happen.

t.

Edited by Terry

Hi MNskeptic.  We also have a cabin on a lake east of Ely on the border of St. Louis and Lake Counties.  I became interested in bf in northern MN when a relative mentioned there were sightings in the area.  Before he mentioned that, I had heard strange noises at night and on several occasions smelled a strong musty odor that was not skunk.  It could have been a bear as I've heard they have a strong odor but I never saw what caused it.  Since then I have put out a couple of wildlife cameras around the cabin and captured photos of a moose, a bear, wolf, fox and hundreds of deer photos.  So far no bf.  Can't wait for this weather to change so we can visit the cabin as we love going there in the winter.  I'm also anxious to see if I caught any good photos on the cameras before the cold weather knocked them out.  

As far as tracks, there may be a lot of snow up there but the winds cause the snow to drift and fill in tracks pretty quickly in the area around the cabin.  

If I wanted to find tracks in the snow, my 1st choice would be around an open water source, one that has very little if any human activity. My next choice would be along long. lonely stretches of railroad tracks bordered by forest, or power line clearings. Using a snowmobile, I would skirt the edges looking for tracks.

We were snowmobiling when I found a set of fresh tracks. I think we scared whatever it was off the RR tracks across a clearing. The bottoms of the tracks had melted snow and ice in them leading me to believe their body temp. is higher than ours. Some think they are not bothered by the cold as much as they are the heat. Also acclimation to the weather over time does help.

I talked to a First Nation elder that didn't mind sharing some of their folklore. He said before winter comes, some of the BF move across the St. Croix from Wisc. to Minn. due to the fact that the sandier soil in Minn. makes digging a den easier. He claimed that they were observed digging a den in a matter of minutes. 

Many times we see folks asking those that habituate why they don't have photos.  Some say because they're building trust, etc. which is understandable I suppose.  If one of those folks were sitting amongst their forest friends right after the recent storms, there would be lots of tracks of the whole family.  Taking photos of those tracks would be pretty interesting to the rest of us.  At least that's what I'd do.

t.

You BIG meany! Get away from your computer and get your own. They'll know. They'll just know. It's okay to record their sounds, but no pictures. It's the code of the habituator. You'll never understand.

Terry, are you talking about the Ridgerunner - William Mooreland? Interesting guy, who did live in the northern Idaho forests for over a decade alone.  Did not have his own cabin, although he 'borrowed' some from the Forest Service now and then.  Very rarely seen, yet he was out for so long that, if I remember right, he thought he had been out for 12 years, but it had actually been 13.  

It events like that, which are known to be true, that I think can help give us answers to some of these questions.  Or at least head us in the right direction.  I believe that is BF exist, they are a flesh and blood creature that must follow the same natural laws as every other known creature.  No hokey-pokey multi-dimensional crazy stuff.

Edited by Nod4Eight

Nod, I was talking about freshly fallen snow in habituator's areas so I'm not sure how you came up with the Ridgerunner subject?  In any case, I agree with you 100% regarding flesh and blood.  As the stories of outdoorsman/women encountering possible bf animals get old and worn out, it seems we've inherited new ones from a crowd of folks who have taken the whole subject into space, the final frontier!  And who knows, maybe they're right!?!  lol  Merry Christmas!

t.

Edited by Terry

Snow? Yes, we have snow. But here in MN, it gets COLD. Was 33 below on Sunday morning at my cabin in St. Louis County which is where the most BF reports have originated in this state per BFRO. Does anyone wonder how the creature can withstand those temps for such a long period of time? BF must have some of the same anatomical adaptations as snow monkeys? I just don't know. What I do know is that most skeptics scratch their thick skulls over questions like this.

MNSkeptic

One might well ask how wolves do it, or deer, or moose.  When we find out, it won't be much of a surprise, I predict.

One might well ask how wolves do it, or deer, or moose.  When we find out, it won't be much of a surprise, I predict.

I suppose it depends on, if they exist, whether they are apes or humans.  Snow monkeys can handle the snow and cold, Eskimos need clothing.

t.

Well MN, in the old days we'd have been talking about the natural reasons this could be.  I'm afraid that these days the answer is they just slip over to their other dimension where it's warm.

It's been shown that man, when acclimatized to severe cold conditions, can build tolerance.  Here, in the1920's, a "hermit" was seen running around for about 10 years in the bush. They caught him in the dead of winter and he was wearing very little clothing.  He was in good shape to.  If there were such a thing as bf, tolerance to the cold along with shelter in the extreme times may be enough.  Still, I think you're right about long periods.  It wouldn't happen.

t.

Nod, I was talking about freshly fallen snow in habituator's areas so I'm not sure how you came up with the Ridgerunner subject?  In any case, I agree with you 100% regarding flesh and blood.  As the stories of outdoorsman/women encountering possible bf animals get old and worn out, it seems we've inherited new ones from a crowd of folks who have taken the whole subject into space, the final frontier!  And who knows, maybe they're right!?!  lol  Merry Christmas!

t.

See the bolded in the two referenced posts.