What Do Friends/ Family Think About You& Bf ?

Doc Holliday

Until we found a trackway while on vacation in Colorado a few years ago, my family thought it was an odd interest but didn't really care, all changed when my little sister and my Dad saw the trackway.

Wife knows about the trackway and has seen the video of it, but is not really interested in the subject.

I have carefully brought it up with a few friends and they have been open minded for the most part, a few even offered up their own 'not sure what it was' type stories from hiking/camping trips over the years.

My stance on this topic is a source of amusement among my family and friends. They all seem to think I am fabricating some story. The only one who doesn't think that is my brother who was with me when it happened. In some ways, I wish I had not seen it. Then I would not have these doubts and have to live with them, and with the realization that everyone I love thinks I have a screw loose. For the life of me, I just cannot think of anything else it could have been. I was with my boy scout troop in Oregon when it happened. I was about 13 or 14 years old and all of us saw it standing in alongside an old logging road when we were hiking in Oregon. Whenever it comes up around my dad (not often, because I see him so rarely) he just rolls his eyes. If it weren't for my brother being there with me when it happened, I think I would have talked myself out of it by now, rationalized into something it wasn't. For you scoffers and skeptics; I understand your position, it is just not possible to maintain that position when you see something like that.

J. Roy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tracker

Only a select few know of my interest in Sasq. My wife is on the fence, kids believe and a buddy is coming around? The trick is to take it slow at first with what you know and have seen. Let them get their feet wet before you completely drown them with your kidnapping story or whatever?

If they warm up to the idea then take them on an expedition, if not leave them in the dark. Better for you, better for them. I say that because people who can't come to terms with Sasq are usually the first to panic and run. That would really suck if it was their turn to drive or they wanted to cancel the rest of the trip. Then when you get back home they say to others it was only a bear. And so even friends and family can still abandon you in this way.

I don't give away my trust, it has to be earned so choose wisely who you open up to.

Edited by tracker

Vincent said: i kmow this is an older post but..., WOW.. your friends and family actually got together for a bigfoot intervention?

what did this entail? how can you intervene in a bigfoot beluef? what caused it? post if you like but its also personal sounding so i wont be dissapointed in you didnt reply.."

Sorry Vincent, I just saw this question and being the "World's Greatest Bigfoot Hunter" I am very busy. :D

What happened regarding the "Bigfoot intervention" was my little brothers invited me to meet them for lunch at Chili's. When I arrived, there were also 3 of my good friends there. After I sat down and we ordered the food, the Bigfoot interrogation began. I was given ultimatums like "I needed to stop being involved with these "crazy people". I was bombarded with questions and accusations. Things like, " you are lying and you only want attention". Or my favorite, "if it were true, then why did you never tell us about what happened you"? My answer being " because when I try to tell people what happened to me, they tend to pull stupid s@#t like this". Then I stood up and walked out.

The same thing happened at a Christmas party last December when the topic was brought up by my ex-girlfriend. It was not planned but i think that one hurt my feelings even more. I am not a coward, but It feels so pointless to try to defend yourself to a room of 20 laughing people. I felt I had no other choice but to again walk out and leave.

I am not speaking about this for sympathy, just discussing the types of things I experienced.

Guest Vincent

Vincent said: i kmow this is an older post but..., WOW.. your friends and family actually got together for a bigfoot intervention?

what did this entail? how can you intervene in a bigfoot beluef? what caused it? post if you like but its also personal sounding so i wont be dissapointed in you didnt reply.."

Sorry Vincent, I just saw this question and being the "World's Greatest Bigfoot Hunter" I am very busy. :D

What happened regarding the "Bigfoot intervention" was my little brothers invited me to meet them for lunch at Chili's. When I arrived, there were also 3 of my good friends there. After I sat down and we ordered the food, the Bigfoot interrogation began. I was given ultimatums like "I needed to stop being involved with these "crazy people". I was bombarded with questions and accusations. Things like, " you are lying and you only want attention". Or my favorite, "if it were true, then why did you never tell us about what happened you"? My answer being " because when I try to tell people what happened to me, they tend to pull stupid s@#t like this". Then I stood up and walked out.

The same thing happened at a Christmas party last December when the topic was brought up by my ex-girlfriend. It was not planned but i think that one hurt my feelings even more. I am not a coward, but It feels so pointless to try to defend yourself to a room of 20 laughing people. I felt I had no other choice but to again walk out and leave.

I am not speaking about this for sympathy, just discussing the types of things I experienced.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, i know your not looking for sympathy but sheesh, i do feel bad for you...i know that if i ever legitamately thought i saw a bigfoot(or a ufo, ghost etc) i believe my family and friends might not believe i saw what i thought i saw, but they would believe i saw something and i dont think they would laugh or make fun of me or try to intervene....and theres absolutely no need for a bigfoot intervention imho... Im on the fence about the issue, but hanging out in bigfoot circles sounds about as harmful as hanging out in bowling circles or book circles, i.e not at all.

If your friends treat you like that you may want to get some new ones.

Best wishes

V

I think my friends and family generally have a fairly open mind but; they aren't very close to me in believing in the strange things which exist that we don't know too much about. I believe in Bigfoot, Ghosts, UFOs, Aliens, Multiple Dimensions and Government Secrets. These things have been widely and reliably reported for centuries and even though Scientific wonder, exploration and experimentation are driving forces; the truth is often difficult to obtain. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tsul kalu

After trial and error, I have found the best attitude is a lighthearted, straightforward one. Laugh along eith the jokes, and after dignity and confidence wins over people start asking more serious questions. We all already have the answers. Started a new job last April, and everyone knows I'm into sasquatchery. No one has given me any grief. I got this from listening to Scott Herriot on The Bigfoot Show, thought it was pretty wise.

My family and friends are about at the national average. 95% of them think I'm wacko about my interest in BF. Only if they bring it up do I talk about it anymore.

Of course it's best if we don't talk about religion or politics either.

My family and friends are about at the national average. 95% of them think I'm wacko about my interest in BF. Only if they bring it up do I talk about it anymore.

Of course it's best if we don't talk about religion or politics either.

I would agree with the 95%. I have made it clear to my friends and family that I will discuss Bigfoot with them, but if it turns derogatory the conversation is over.

Out of 5 siblings, 4 of us have had experiences with the shadowfolk. My parents did too and my son, however he was very young and I didn't say anything to scare him and we didn't include him in the discussions, just too young.

My friends know and don't care....they love me anyway, I guess. I have never gotten any negative responses from them.

:)

Guest D B Cooper

Lesmore wrote

"I don't mention it to my friends. My circle of friends for the most part are from the professional ranks and university educated."

So, you're saying that they wouldn't be believers because they're University Educated? I don't have a College Education, but I have a much higher than average IQ. I would think that a formally educated person would be more open minded.

My wife thinks it's okay for me to believe. She and my Daughter razz me about it once in a while, but no ridicule. I think my Daughter is open to the possibility. My hunting partner is cynical and flipped me crap about it until we were Elk hunting in a very remote part of the Coast Range of the Cascades west of Lorane last year.

He had gone off into some very dark timber surrounding a very marshy area, prime Elk country. I was skirting the marsh about 1/4 mile away from him, when four very loud, resonating and evenly spaced wood knocks came from behind the marsh, back in the old growth. After we met up again, he asked if I had heard them? I said yes I did, and they sure as hell weren't Elk playing Bongos. He's toned down his skepticism since then.

Guest vilnoori

Most of my family and friends are unbelievers and are not university educated. The one who does consider and entertain the notion (not a believer but definitely open-minded) is my dad, a retired doctor. I also am university educated (Biology). Still a fence-sitter, though, but very interested and intrigued.

Guest squatchrider

I tend to approach the subject as a skeptical believer. I think this has helped me in dealing with my friends and family when talking about the subject. At first some of my friends/family will laugh at me when I start talking about the subject but once they realize that I am serious they will quit laughing and at least respect me enough to not truly mock me about the issue. I think some of them think I am nuts for believing in Bigfoot but I respect their interests and beliefs even if I don't agree with them so they respect mine. My brother loves to give me a bad time about Bigfoot but at the same time will DVR Bigfoot/Sasquatch shows for me if he knows I am going to be visiting sometime soon.

kind of funny how some will laugh/scorn BF interests when in a crowd (trying to fit in with the "cool kids"?) then, later when one on one, they actually show an interest or at least concede the possibility it may exist....... B)

• masterbarber locked this topic