What Is It?

SWWASAS

BFF Patron

There is a bit of a pressure ridge behind the toes on the May 29 photo which would suggest mid tarsal break.    The mud there is pretty good clay and I looked very carefully through the area hoping to find a nice full footprint.     I think this is the third print I have found in a half mile area near a creek over the years.     This print found on March 22 (attached photos) was found within yards of the one posted above and headed the same direction towards the creek bottoms.      They cross the human trail headed out of the creek bottoms to the North or in this case were headed down into the creek bottoms from the high ground to the South and West towards the creek bottoms to the North.   The taper to the rear made me initially think this one might be bear but because of the incline in the direction of the toes (right in the photo) it could be a partial BF print where the heel never really was planted fully.    Additionally it is 12 or 13 inches long (the tape is inches)  which is too long for a black bear.    A bear would have made several other prints in the immediate area too.   I am standing on the left margin of the human trail.      The width of this print is consistent with the print of the May 29 print.   Could be the same individual.   The pictures are not very good but this was just after I got zapped and I was still a bit shook up from the experience.       The makers seem to step over the human trail to avoid leaving tracks in the nearly constant mud through the area.   By planting the toes for traction and lunging to the right to cross the trail, I can see where only a partial heel imprint of the side of the heel might be left.   That would explain the very tapered heel area in the attached picture.     When I find an imprint in this area it is on one trail margin and on the opposite side of the trail, I usually find disturbed soil suggesting that what made it stepped across either to avoid getting muddy feet or leaving a print or both.    In every case great effort seems to be made to avoid leaving footprints in the mud.    The width of the human trail is such that I normally cannot step across it as this individual did.     Human traffic trying to avoid stepping in the mud is making the trail wider all the time.       I think I need to get a game camera hidden in that area as there seems to be a lot of traffic.      Randy R

post-23549-0-94870000-1401894858_thumb.j

post-23549-0-09182500-1401896846_thumb.j

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron

I recorded a vocalization during my Jun 11 field work.    It was very distant and faint and I did not know if my recorder would pick it up.    It is similar to canine in pitch and timber but unlike coyotes and dogs.     Wolves are just moving into the area so I have no experience with them.   Will extract a clip from the long audio file and post it when I get a chance and let those in wolf country listen.    I have no idea what a lone wolf howl sounds like.       Randy 

That is strange.  I cannot get quotes to work and with that last post Quote pops up when I did not want it to. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

BFF Patron

I thought I had a BF peeker on camera yesterday when I was doing field work and sat in a day use area picnic table to eat my lunch before starting to hike.    I saw something that looked like a BF peeker across the creek and got my camera out and on behind a little cooler as cover.    Eating a sandwich with one hand I got the camera off of my pack, turned it on, and set it on the cooler while making a big show of drinking a soda.   I put it on video record and just let it run sitting on the cooler without holding it.     I thought I saw movement a couple of times so figured the camera would catch that because it was absolutely still on the cooler.    I let it run 5 minutes and decided to spook whatever it was, so I walked towards it near the creek with the camera recording video.     Still could not tell what it was so figured because it did not move away was just an interesting stump.   Turned off the camera, packed up, and hiked the rest of the afternoon.   When I got home the full screen video on a big screen looked even better with two black eyes and what looked like a lighter nose,  but did not move at all or even blink when I got up and moved towards it.   .     Some would get a red marker and show it to you as a BF but I had hiked a mile to the other side of the creek and located the stump just to make sure what it was.   

The moral to this story is nystagmus is a property of the eyes that when you stare at an object your eyes have a natural movement that makes stationary objects look like they are moving.    Some UFO reports are people staring at Jupiter or Saturn and thinking they see it move around in circles.    I had never thought of just turning the camera on record and walking away from it like that.    If BF have any understanding of what a camera is, that would probably make them think the camera was off or not recording video and I had left it behind on the cooler.    I might try that the next time I feel like I am being watched or followed.   Any movement in the field of view of a dead still video camera will show.   I might just turn on the camera set it down and walk away when I think I am being followed.  Probably the worst thing that could happen would be that the BF throws it at me.    Randy