Bigfooting With Your Pup

Guest zenmonkey

Guest zenmonkey

So Ive got a 6mo yr old beagle pup "Bella" She's basically a nose with legs. Now do you think or does anyone have any experience with taking their dog along with them out in the woods. Im thinking about taking her out on my next weekend camping trip down south east OK. Wondering if shed be more harm than good.

Guest mariner

She (puppy) could be food for some of the bigger critters out there in the wild. Beagles aren't big when fully grown so she might just be a liability for you and little help. I am sure other would chime in and offer their comments. To be safe I would think something at least the size of a German Shepard would be preferable - or bigger. My dog is a Great Pyrenees and he sees off large black bears with no problems (weighs in at 135 lbs or so).

Bobo takes 'Monkey' around and she's just a little thing. 'She goes nuts when foot's are around..'  I'd get a zap-collar just in case she tries to run off though.

Admin

Dogs can sense things before humans, so it could never hurt taking your best buddy with you.

Usually hounds won't stay around and there's a good chance it will take off on you unless you keep it tied all of the time.  I've never owned a hound that could be trusted to stay put without being tied.  Have fun with your pup!

t.

Zen, JMO keep her on a leash line, the yotees have been a major issue lately in these parts.

I have 2 lab x's, I'll take one with me every now and then when I walk. They will let me know when somethings lurking with their keen sense of smell and hearing. "But" I always have them on a leash line or they'll run the scent and go deaf, lol. Learned the hard way.

Guest zenmonkey

Thanks guys. We'll ya she wouldn't leave my side. She'd be on a leash and harness the whole time and ya she'd sleep I'm sure in my bed in the camper lol

My BF hunter companion is currently a 6 year old Husky with a 1 year old German Shepherd in the wings.  The Husky is basically a pain in the butt as he cannot be trusted off a leash and drags me all over the place and couldn't follow a trail if his life depended on it.  However, he is a beast in a fight and nothing short of the big guy would probably take us (no big bears in my part of NC).  Been working on the Shepherd but she keeps scaring the hell out of other hikers as she is completely paranoid and while not too big has the bark of a very big dog.  My best BF hunting companion was a female husky of 80 poiunds that died at 8 due to cancer.  She would bound off chasing deer, come back whenever called, sweat to all other people, and quickly dispatch prey not to her liking.  We miss her dearly.

Chase tied to a tree by a strange tree fall:

post-21854-0-38968100-1388379969_thumb.j

SSR Team

Taking a Dog into the woods is one of the best things you can do as a Dog owner, of course it is. The vast, vast, vast majority of the time, Sasquatch will have absolutely no bearing on why/when/how you do that whatsoever and there are many more things you should worry about in the woods before Sasquatches, Coyote's for example.

Admin

I have had the privilege of Hunting with some excellent Dogs. It was a great time. The dogs were running loose and were enjoying hunting. Yes, it's a Great Day.

Guest zenmonkey

NCBRR sorry about your loss.I grew up with a yellow lab you died a few years back hard ting to get past. Well guys thanks for the replies but while I was gone at work my wife sold her........so nvm  :unsure: guess she peed on the new mattress ( she was just about potty trained) but I guess she had enough. Im gonna miss her

Read about Bigtex's adventures with his wolf, ridgeback, and little terrier in the Need Help in Central Texas thread in the In the Field section of the forum. Lot's of pics of the dogs and interesting finds and comments on BF.

Bigtex would be a good resource to discuss taking your dog out to research BF.

If we are lucky Coonbo might weigh in on this.  He had a shepherd named Bo who he took with out in the bush all the time.  Bo was legendary in ability to detect monkees and central to a number of incidents Coonbo encountered.  Bo didn't didn't like monkees one bit and made sure folks knew it when they were around.  We used to say "Bo knows boogers"...

Back in the mid 90s Coonbo took me under his wing and on an incredible week of monkee chasing in Ala and Miss.  The first night out he got me screamed at by something which a guy didn't need to speak Monkeese to understand.  Getting towards dawn we all packed into his 5th wheel to get a few hours sleep.  Everyone fell asleep quickly but me.  Sleep was impossible as I tried to wrap my head around that gawdawful loud & angry primate screaming.   Maybe 30 or so minutes after everyone was sleeping, Bo's head came up.  He went from dead asleep to full alert in a heartbeat.  I laid there in the dark and watched as Bo's head swivelled around & around, growling low in his throat the entire time.  I couldn't hear anything but clearly Bo had detected something nearby and was using his hearing to keep track of it as it circled the camper.  After about 20 minutes Bo quit and as quick as he had gone on point, he went back to sleep.   I couldn't help but think "Bo knows boogers"...