Skeptics: Define Your Success For Us, Please.

WSA

^^ Technically speaking that is a true statement if one places emphasis on "could". I have never said that all reports are the result, directly or indirectly, of a hoax. 

I should have qualified my riddle to say subjective skeptics.  Objective skeptics, Like Incorrigible1, do live in the real world.

Incorrigible1.  Not saying you haven't.  Just asking to place where you're coming from.  Have you spoken to many witnesses outside of the forum?

No. One class two witness is the only personal types I've spoken with. Not a wealth of sightings in eastern NE.

Well, you've posted on the forum over 2000 times now and, I assume from the way that you worded the above, have still not achieved your goal.

I agree with you that some people who think that they have genuinely seen a Sasquatch are mistaken.

Where do you think you have gone wrong thus far in not managing to convince a single person that they merely experienced an everyday hallucination and have been deluding themselves ever since?

How do you know I haven't convinced someone who came on here and said, "Oh no duh, that is exactly what happened to me, I did NOT see a giant hairy apeman running around the outskirts of Toledo, I had a sleep hallucination."?  

^^^I think the point is that it would be irrelevant to the overall question if you had.

(And harmful if, in fact, it wasnt' a hallucination.)

How do you know I haven't convinced someone who came on here and said, "Oh no duh, that is exactly what happened to me, I did NOT see a giant hairy apeman running around the outskirts of Toledo, I had a sleep hallucination."?

Well I am naturally skeptical since I haven't seen any evidence. Do you have some?

• Upvote 1

Drew is suggesting that something may have happened. I am saying that I would not be willing to accept that it happened unless I saw some convincing evidence to suggest that it did.

In the same way that some people suggest that they have seen bigfoot and Drew saying that he would not be willing to accept that it happened unless he saw some convincing evidence to suggest that it did.

Edited by the parkie

^Nobody here ever "suggests" that they've seen a Bigfoot- a suggestion is only an idea and open to other possibilities.

If people were actually open to other possibilities then this wouldn't even be an issue.

Edited by roguefooter
  • Upvote 1

I don't think "open to other possibilities" is always a healthy option, or at least a serious one.

I'm at my desk typing this.  While I might be open to the possibility that I am in fact on the Fifth Stone from XPmnc'^%!%$, presenting my case for GLSMPELG to The Imperator, I'm not accepting it as my reality.

"Suggesting" that everyone that's seen a bigfoot be "open to other possibilities," and considering that one's excuse to deep-six all the evidence, doesn't strike me as what a scientist - the ultimate realist, I always thought but I might be wrong - would do.

I could also say that it sounds more than vaguely like an insult to people who, if the skeptics are right, are doing something I am quite confident I could never do in my life except in the grip of severe mental illness.  But that is, of course, just me.

Edited by DWA

Drew is suggesting that something may have happened. I am saying that I would not be willing to accept that it happened unless I saw some convincing evidence to suggest that it did.

In the same way that some people suggest that they have seen bigfoot and Drew saying that he would not be willing to accept that it happened unless he saw some convincing evidence to suggest that it did.

Wrong.  I was countering YOUR CLAIM, that I had not convinced anyone.  You said: 

Where do you think you have gone wrong thus far in not managing to convince a single person that they merely experienced an everyday hallucination and have been deluding themselves ever since?

I am simply saying, how would I know that I haven't convinced anyone.  I was asking you to support your claim that I had not convinced anyone.