Skeptics: Define Your Success For Us, Please.

WSA

Guest Stan Norton

I'm married to a lawyer. I know a game of LawyerBall when I see one.

This thread is an open invitation to play LawyerBall.

I don't set personal success goals for myself wrt Bigfoot.

But I do find it very amusing each and every time Bigfootery fails to deliver the goods.

2013 was a great example.

I thought you avoided contact with the wife by drinking beer in the garage whilst building things and stitching some old monkey rug costume together!?

What is my success in coming to this site?  I think that was kind of the original purpose to this thread.

1.  To learn more about the topic of bigfoot and hopefully get some information on personal accounts from those who have seen one.

2.  To take all of the information from believers and skeptics and form my own opinion as to whether or not bigfoot is real.  I am not one to believe or disbelieve something because someone tells me to.

I tend to think in terms of statistical analysis.  To me the null hypothesis is that bigfoot is not real, therefore the hypothesis is that he is real.  I am not quite ready to reject the null hypothesis, but the evidence and believeable accounts are pointing that way. 

Of couse, the ultimate proof for me would be to see one and by putting myself in areas where that is most likely to happen is my goal for this coming year.

From a truly objective perspective this is a Schroedinger's cat situation.  In a certain place at a certain time there is and is not a bigfoot (the most null hypothesis, since a skeptic can't prove bigfoot does not exist and I can not prove to a skeptic that I have stood face to face with one - to state that bigfoot do not exist as the perceived null hypothesis reveals a foundational bias).  The truth isn't known until you put eyes on the spot to determine if there is or is not a bigfoot there at that time.  Even then you only know the truth at that spot at that time.  Change the location or change the time and you've got to check all over again.

Beware those who claim to see everything, yet observe nothing.  They reveal the difference between capability and competency.

Nice way to put it you guys....thanks for contributing.

Yes, the old "look but not see" contradiction. I put a lot of faith in what trained observers tell me, always have. I like to pretend sometimes I am one of those, but in honesty, I'm a piker compared to some people's skill in that area.

I think that "bigfoot does not exist" being the null hypothesis simply reflects societal bias.  But it's the hypothesis that it does that badly needs testing.

Another purpose for my being here is to jockey folks away from complacency and into proper review of evidence.  Some will take that up and some won't.

[crickets]

I still don't get it.

The skeptical crowd here = me on a UFO site, day and night, saying 'nuh uuh!  nuh uuh!'

And I don't.

Skeptics:  define success for me, please.

The thread has run course enough to turn it around. What would be "success" for a proponent? Physical evidence from a bigfoot body? Hmm, none substantiated. Personal observation/sighting? Personally gratifying, but again, unsubstantial. Sightings and $5 will get you a beer in most bars. Footprints? Interesting, but no cigar.

What would provide "success" for a bf proponent?

[crickets]

I still don't get it.

The skeptical crowd here = me on a UFO site, day and night, saying 'nuh uuh!  nuh uuh!'

And I don't.

Skeptics:  define success for me, please.

Actually a number of us did it. Read on up there.

I'm not much interested in proving bigfoot to anyone.  I am interested in learning more about bigfoot than I have experienced from others who have had direct experience.