Whatcha Think About This?

So me and some of my friends frequent this strip of swampy forest called bloodroot valley in Staten Island's (NYC) greenbelt, we go there to look at herps and birds, but we've heard some strange things there at night. Some of these things we can explain as Barn Owls and Red Foxes, (although those can still be pretty unnerving when you're in the woods at night) but there is one that always bothered me.

We were laying across the trails at night, and we heard this distant, but obviously very loud, bellowing scream from one side of the valley, and then another answering back from the opposite side of the valley... then we heard the first one call again. Needless to say, we left quite quickly.

The thing is that there hasnt been a Bigfoot sighting on the island since 2002, and there hasnt been a credible Bigfoot sighting on the island since 1975. Since then, the island has very quickly and dramatically developed (although the greenbelt is probably the most untouched, vast, and productive woodland on the island).

Although, since then, the White-Tail Deer on the island, formerly extirpated, have returned, and in some places, they've just found Bobcats, Red Foxes, Coyotes, Otters, and Mink, none of which were ever known to the island before. Just goes to show that nature always packs some surprises if you look hard enough.

So... do you think it's possible? I almost dont even wanna saw the words, Bigfoot on Staten Island. It seems so ridiculous. But I cant explain what we heard that night. 

If anyone has Google Earth, an approximate coordinate for where we heard the sound is lat 40°34'55.71"N and long 74° 8'26.62"W. If not, here's a screencap of the area, we were probably standing at about where the red X is.

(Sorry for all the waypoints, we go there a lot. I'm trusting you guys not to go there and pillage the area, hahahaha.)

post-21930-0-05719300-1390783602_thumb.p

Edited by ForestTone

Def not a Coyote, and def not a Screech Owl. We heard Screech Owls there too, they make a high pitched trill.

This thing literally sounded like Bobo. xD

That's definitely thickly forested but the population density surrounding the area is so high it's hard to imagine a creature the size of Bigfoot working all the way in there. The trees appear to be primarily deciduous, so when the leaves fall there wouldn't be  a lot of cover. I do recall reading a thread last year however that suggested a presence on Long Island. As Sas says, stranger things have happened. Good luck with your investigations.

I doubt what you heard was a Bigfoot. The population density is just too high for one of them to slip in and out unnoticed, and the area is far too small for one to live there unnoticed. I don't know what you heard, but I think its safe to say that it was not a Bigfoot.

I have to agree with Sasfooty and Airdale.  It's possible, but I'd sure look hard for other critters before I'd lay it on BF.  Any chance it could have been some kind of water or shore bird like a Great Blue Heron?  They make calls at night that are quite loud, very startling and other-worldly sounding.  How about a seal or something like that?  I know it's rather far inland.  My wife has cousins that have a home towards the east end of Long Island and they've talked about the continued weird things that go on out there.  There are more areas of boonies on those two islands than most folks would realize without actually being there.

I do know this: BF are terrifically strong swimmers and can cover a startling distance underwater.  We learned this literally chasing one in/on Lake Texoma quite a few years ago.  So, it might be possible that they are getting there by swimming.  And the deer, bobcats, and other critters are getting there somehow.

Edited by Coonbo

It was definitely not a Heron. I've been a bird nerd since I was eight, hahahaha. I certainly dont know everything, but know it was not a bird of any kind. I have heard Night Herons make some crazy sounds at night, too.

Absolutely no chance it was a Seal.

Idk if it was a Bigfoot either. I'm hesitant to say that Bigfoot exists, let alone within New York City.

But I have no explanation for what we heard, we discuss is quite often and we hit a wall every time.

We've also seen/heard some large objects come crashing through the trees and foliage, but that's another story...

Edited by ForestTone

We've also seen/heard some large objects come crashing through the trees and foliage, but that's another story...

Well, you've started now so why not tell us...

Well, you've started now so why not tell us...

Better phrasing on my part would have been "that's the whole story" xD

in theory it could have fallen out of a large tree, but it seemed to have some trajectory to it.

Someone hearing your howls, and returning them?

We werent the source of either howls, we heard one calling from one side of the valley and a response from the other side, then the first one again.

I was recently reading about the Montauk Project in the 1940's, which took place on Long Island, (not far from Staten Island). Seems that they were researching "invisibility".

"At the eastern most end of Long Island sits Montauk Point, known to most New Yorkers for its scenic beauty and landmark lighthouse. To the immediate west of the lighthouse, there is a mysterious and derelict Air Force base on the grounds of old Fort Hero. Although it was officially decommissioned and abandoned by the U.S. Air Force in 1969, it was subsequently reopened and continued to operate without 'official' sanction from the U.S. Government." .........

Anyway, there were several pictures of the openings to the old underground facility that is there. All the openings were closed except one, but that "one" that was open was very interesting.

Montauk_zps216d2ef2.jpg

The population there is just far to dense and imposing in on the forest that it would be nearly impossible for a sasquatch to live in that area.

I would be inclined to believe you heard a person or a known species living in the area.