Is It Implausible For Bigfoot To Survive In This Cold?

gigantor

Admin

It cold!  really, really cold!

If Bigfoot were to exist, how could it survive these temperatures without clothing, shelter or fire?

Not plausible IMO.

That's one of the reasons why I'm surprised to find the existence of a southern skunk ape more plausible than a northern sasquatch.

What do you think?  Do you have a plausible hypothesis that explains how Bigfoot survives extreme weather?

Edited by gigantor

Admin

I think they could stash food for the winter, even squirrels do it. The cold though, there's no way to avoid the issue without fire, clothing or some kind of shelter.

Edited by gigantor

Admin

If Bigfoot were to hibernate, we'd found some for sure. There is no evidence that they do.

Edited by gigantor

If Bigfoot were to hibernate, we'd found some for sure. There is no evidence that they do.

That is a fair point. I'm not sure how Bigfoot would survive. I'm less than 20 miles from Whitehall NY where there have been a fair number of sightings. One of the sightings in Castleton VT was a daytime winter sighting. We've had -20 below a few nights and in the wild it's colder than that. So that is a good question

Admin

Lots of animals have adapted to cold weather with growing thicker fur in the winter. It seems reasonable that Squatches have also adapted this trait. I would think finding food in the winter would be difficult, or they could migrate to warmer and better feeding grounds in the winter.  

"G" -

Quite plausible I think.   Hair covering.  Higher metabolism.   Roughly our shape, so their larger size should conserve heat better ... better volume to surface area .. basically Bergmann's Rule.  

Study up on other types of critters' adaptations like "counter-flow" blood circulation in sled dog feet.

If they are what I think they are ... a human megafauna left over from ice age times ... they're exceptionally adapted to dealing with cold.  I suspect summer heat is a greater problem. 

Food?  Anywhere deer and elk migrate for winter, there's an amazing food supply for an omnivore.

Just my working hypotheses, though.  No way to be sure.

MIB

Edited by MIB

The deer should be icicles.  They're making it.

How are bears different?

I never let evidence be discounted by assumptions.  There are too many winter reports, too many snow trackways.

I'd rather confirm the animal, then find out how it happens.

Admin

I hear you, but the means of survival are a big mystery if the animal exists.

Bears hibernate and have shelter (dens) which we find all the time, even occupied. Not bigfoot....

Hello gigantor,

Not a surprising question considering the winter weather the country has been experiencing the past couple of weeks. John Green's book "Sasquatch, The Apes Among Us" didn't address the concept of a cave-dwelling Sasquatch but I think it was because the subject may have been an obscure one at best. For myself I tend to think that if caves are used they provide a temporary shelter only. There are fewer Spring time reports but even so, one would think that winter tracks would be all over the place. They're not.

Is this a hibernation indicator? Most believe hibernation is not a Sasquatch characteristic. Even if it is, the reports that do have the animal walking around in winter say that a few do get out and around. I think any use of caves are a matter of necessity if they are used at all. The other day I saw an Eagle flying out over the ocean in Maine when it was 15 degrees outside. Tough bird.....HUNGRY bird! It was probably looking for fish because everything else was probably holed up somewhere.

A small cave with several members of a Sasquatch group in it would be warmer than a large cave one would think so looking for the creature in large caves is more than likely a waste of time. Bats might make a tasty snack if nothing else was out and about because of deep snows. Some caves have water available in some fashion and can even be obscured accesses to aquifer systems. I think it's possible the Fouke Monster utilzed such a system.

Something the NAWAC team might consider?

Edited by hiflier

Admin

Good question. How do the squirrels, birds and a few local deer in my back yard survive this extreme weather?

squirrels make nests and so do birds, deer are not primates and have evolved to deal with cold weather...

The big problem is that bigfoot is supposed to be a primate, I can't think of any primate that survives in such cold without shelter, fire or clothing.

Edited by gigantor

There are alot of animals that don't hibernate in the winter time and they survive. So I think it's plausible a bigfoot would weather the storm too.

I think they would have an even better advantage, being that they are more intelligent than the average bear. ( jellystone anyone? lol )

Can you imagine two bigfoot huddled  up to keep warm? 1000 lbs of hairy warmth!