Is It Implausible For Bigfoot To Survive In This Cold?

gigantor

Admin

Can you name a primate that lives in the cold of Alaska?

There are alot of animals that don't hibernate in the winter time and they survive. So I think it's plausible a bigfoot would weather the storm too.

I think they would have an even better advantage, being that they are more intelligent than the average bear. ( jellystone anyone? lol )

Can you imagine two bigfoot huddled  up to keep warm? 1000 lbs of hairy warmth!

I'm actually just testing the quote function :biggrin:

It's working fine...

Edited by gigantor

I'd agree that not finding hibernating sasquatch might appear somewhat problematical, but we started finding hibernating animals when we started wondering where they disappeared to in the winter and followed it up.  Which of course required accepting the existence of those animals in the first place.

Keeping in mind that, on a strictly statistical basis, no one is looking for sasquatch (I'm borrowing bipto's line, and he's with the org that's doing the most looking), we also have to note that winter is a **** hard time to look for something you're not even sure exists.  Almost all saslooking is warmer-weather for a good reason:  it's easier to cover ground and stay warm doing it. 

To find hibernating animals one has to nail down basic travel patterns.  I simply don't think the basic research time has been put in yet to expect payoff from searching for wintering sasquatch.

And ask me how I know?  Well...again, there's all this evidence I can't just set aside.

No, I can't but I can name a primate who does live in cold weather. The snow monkey of Japan.

http://www.snowjapan.com/the-snow-monkeys-of-jigokudani-nagano

We have to also remember we can't compare every characteristic of a bigfoot to a primate, we don't know with certainty that is what they are.

They could be a primate hybrid of some type. Without DNA testing we don't know.

Deer and other northern mammals have fur, not hair like humans. Deer also gow a thicker coat in winter and have hollow hair shafts for insulation. Bears go into hibernation. If the Patterson footage shows a real sasquatch, it's hair seems to be quite sparce in spots. It doesn't look equiped for sub zero temperatures. I can buy that they could survive winters in the Pacific NW "rainforests" where the winters are relatively mild, but upstate NY or Manitoba?, I find that hard to believe.

Count on this, you'd almost have to:  Just like caribou; just like polar bears; just like penguins...sasquatch are likely to have cold-weather adaptations found in no other primate.

Exceptions, with animals, really are the rule.  They're what delineate species.

Admin

... (I'm borrowing bipto's line, and he's with the org that's doing the most looking),...

Down it Texas and Oklahoma, so like I said, I find a southern skunk ape type creature more plausible...

the quoting feature seems to be working now. :lol:

Barncat:  The guy who shot one in Manitoba in 1941 said basically that Patty would freeze to death in Manitoba.  The one he shot had hair he compared to a musk ox's.

This is why I'd rather push to resolve the issue of existence.  We're gonna fiind out stuff we simply don't know for sure now.

Admin

No, I can't but I can name a primate who does live in cold weather. The snow monkey of Japan.

http://www.snowjapan.com/the-snow-monkeys-of-jigokudani-nagano

snow-monkeys-official.jpg

yeah, but they live near hot springs, as you can see in them bathing in the hot water.

There seem to variations of the big guy all over the world, most likely adapting and evolving to survive their geographical location.

There are differences in the grass man type bigfoot of Ohio, the Skunk Ape type in Florida and the Bigger Bigfoot of the Upper NW.

Hey now, there are hot springs in washington state if a bigfoot was so inclined. There are also hot springs in Alaska.

hot-resorts-hotels-washington-state-1.1-

Edited by WV FOOTER
edit image from previous post.

Snow monkeys, remember, are not always in the springs; they have to leave them sooner or later (ever leave a hot tub in Vermont?  BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)...

...and Yunnan snub-nose monkeys, which live at higher altitudes than any other primate but us, with frost 280 days a year and snow over a meter, don't have hot tubs.

Edited by DWA

Admin

ok then, :lol:  

at least the quote function works...

...and I'm thinking, these are monkeys, which don't have the body mass that Bergmann's rule says makes cold weather easier to weather.

Hey hiflier, I'm not sure about the snub noses, but I don't think they're a cold-weather adaptation as there's more than one species of them, and a couple live in warmer climes although no, not major equatorial tropical. 

(It's theorized that the bigger noses of Neandertals were a cold-weather adaptation, allowing warming of inhaled air.)

And I also have to add that golden snub-nosed monkeys make many vocalizations, according to Arkive.org, "without making any facial movements, in the manner of a ventriloquist."

I mean, this just seemed like a cool place to toss in a random fact that says:  never underestimate a primate, man.