Unknown Primate Dna

dmaker

Disotell said all along he got no DNA, it was either too degraded, or didn't contain any.

Then Nelson retests it with primers, and gets a human DNA, the storyline of the TV show gets edited so it sounds like it's not human.  But 1 or 2 differences is still human.

But they allude that it is not human.

Disotell says it was probably contamination, that is why they got human DNA.

No response from Nelson, but Meldrum seems to agree with Disotell's version that it was too degraded.

The 'contaminated' is referring to Nelson's find of Human DNA after he removed the galvanizing agent.

Edited by Drew

Guest Urkelbot

Disotell said there was one differentiated base pair in the 300bp sequence. That was more or less normal between any two human beings.

I think the degradation issues are why only 300bp were sequenced. If he had what he believed was primate DNA more should have been sequenced.

Of interest might also be the gene or portion of DNA being sequenced, what exact base pair was different, whether that changed the amino acid coded, and if that amino acid then changes the tertiary structure of the protein.

Edited by Urkelbot

Urkelbot,

Good point. It still amazes me that after all this time and all these eyewitnessed events that this is all anyone publicly has. It doesn't make sense. Dmaker is going to love me saying that I just know it LOL. It's still nonetheless diffiult to rectify the situation in light of those in the past who were credentialed in the field like Grover Krantz. In my estimation either they do not exist, even though I think they do or......I'm going to be soon labeled a conspiracy theorist- which I HATE. I'm seriously struggling to see a middle road.

I'm bordering on a new thread for discussing the "undiscussible".

Edited by hiflier

Actually, we've long been there.  I do have problems with somebody who laughs at folks who saw one thing when they saw...something else...

My laughter/disdain is for he that proclaims himself a scientist. Hey, I'm an astronaut. I just need a rocket.

Hello Incorrigible1,

And I think Sasquatch exists. I just need Sasqua........oh, nevermind!

Edited by hiflier

Disotell said there was one differentiated base pair in the 300bp sequence. That was more or less normal between any two human beings.

I think the degradation issues are why only 300bp were sequenced. If he had what he believed was primate DNA more should have been sequenced.

Of interest might also be the gene or portion of DNA being sequenced, what exact base pair was different, whether that changed the amino acid coded, and if that amino acid then changes the tertiary structure of the protein.

Urkelbot, I think it is typical to sequence a few hundred bp when doing species ID on certain mitochondrial genes like CO1. But, like you, I would want more for better resolution. Cytochrome b gene is popular too. It would be helpful if there were some benchmark deviations to distinguish between different members of the same species and different species. Scientists must have this data somewhere to do species ID in this manner at all.

Bhutan, Snelgrove

Destination truth, "The Bhutan Yeti,"  4 Nov 2009  
Josh Gates in Bhutan, Himalayas, on another hunt for the Yeti. Hair samples 
gathered during the investigation revealed DNA from an unknown primate.

The analysis: Josh Gates 2009 with Dr. Melba Ketchum  

"Unknown primate DNA" on Google : needle in a haystack. I'm looking for those 
with some credibility -- usually, I only reference Dr. Ketchum in my signature. 

I did watch the show found thru Norseman's post #17, Snelgrove Lake with Curt 
Nelson & Jeff Meldrum. Monster Quest - Sasquatch Attack, Nov 2007.  Apparently,
all of you have seen it. 

I watched the whole thing. I was hopeful about the findings of Drs Nelson and 
Rogers. However, Drs Meldrum & Disotell were not encouraging with nothing to 
see there. 

Curt Nelson tested the DNA, said yes, Human dna, it had one nucleotide polymorphism
 ... that nucleotide that was different, it was one shared with chimpanzees. 

Hair morphology, Dr. Lynn Rogers, Wildlife Research Institute, visual examination 
of hair: "It looked human to me," but no medulla, uncut tapered tip. "Almost like 
it came from a wild human ... I'll be really interested to see what the DNA shows."  

Disotell: I didn't get DNA; there is no result (scroll to 39:25).
Meldrum: Samples were too degraded. 

Has the Snelgrove cabin been revisited since 2007?

These searches are time consuming. Not sure I'll keep looking. 
  • Upvote 1

So how could Nelson be so wrong?

We don't know that Nelson was wrong.

That could have been creative editing on the part of the producers.

They might have said "Dr. Nelson what could one difference mean with regard to Chimps?"

And he said 'Well Chimps are one point of difference from humans, but this looks like a human DNA sample, maybe from contamination'

And the editors did this:

'Well Chimps are one point of difference from humans, but this looks like a human DNA sample, maybe from contamination'

I don't trust professional Bigfooters too much.

Two things I trust less than professional Bigfooters? Reality Show Producers, and Politicians

My laughter/disdain is for he that proclaims himself a scientist. Hey, I'm an astronaut. I just need a rocket.

Gotta know how science works to be one.  Otherwise, you're just an accomplished techie in a corner of the field, and you aren't interesting me in what you think.

Bhutan, Snelgrove

Destination truth, "The Bhutan Yeti,"  4 Nov 2009  
Josh Gates in Bhutan, Himalayas, on another hunt for the Yeti. Hair samples 
gathered during the investigation revealed DNA from an unknown primate.

The analysis: Josh Gates 2009 with Dr. Melba Ketchum  

"Unknown primate DNA" on Google : needle in a haystack. I'm looking for those 
with some credibility -- usually, I only reference Dr. Ketchum in my signature. 

I did watch the show found thru Norseman's post #17, Snelgrove Lake with Curt 
Nelson & Jeff Meldrum. Monster Quest - Sasquatch Attack, Nov 2007.  Apparently,
all of you have seen it. 

I watched the whole thing. I was hopeful about the findings of Drs Nelson and 
Rogers. However, Drs Meldrum & Disotell were not encouraging with nothing to 
see there. 

Curt Nelson tested the DNA, said yes, Human dna, it had one nucleotide polymorphism
 ... that nucleotide that was different, it was one shared with chimpanzees. 

Hair morphology, Dr. Lynn Rogers, Wildlife Research Institute, visual examination 
of hair: "It looked human to me," but no medulla, uncut tapered tip. "Almost like 
it came from a wild human ... I'll be really interested to see what the DNA shows."  

Disotell: I didn't get DNA; there is no result (scroll to 39:25).
Meldrum: Samples were too degraded. 

Has the Snelgrove cabin been revisited since 2007?

These searches are time consuming. Not sure I'll keep looking. 

You did a good job there Oonjerah, Plussed.

Dr. Rogers' analysis of the hair is consistent with many from Fahrenbach and I expect some of his efforts with DNA extraction.

I see Meldrum siding with any interpretation that doesn't suggest BF is human. So around and round we go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by southernyahoo

Guest Darrell

I don't trust professional Bigfooters too much.

Two things I trust less than professional Bigfooters? Reality Show Producers, and Politicians

True Dat!!