Moon Phases

BobbyO

Slightly off topic, there is a widely police reported increase in the hyper/violent activity of people, predominantly drinkers, on nights with a full moon. So much so that they will put extra officers on shift if it coincides with a Friday or Saturday night.

Leftover hunter gatherer trait from pre/post hunting hyperactivity?

Just spit-balling.......I have way too much time to think.....

CC

SSR Team

Haha Trog, not hunting in that way, well kind of, sort of, but not really, I meant surveillance.

Chris it's all cool and very relevant, I've read up a lot this week past week in order to gain a better understanding of the moon and think I am getting somewhere.

And there is undoubtedly relevance to what you wrote.

Trog I've found some really interesting stuff over these past few days, I'll either put it on non email or PM you..

Edited by BobbyO

Hello BobbyO,

After reading NDT's post I think you could be onto something here. At least it an aspect I've not seen discussed before. Could have some bearing on future adventures. Lets face it, the more tools in the planning box the better. Wonder if the NAWAC folks have considered this particular tact.  

Not so fast mister!..LOL

I hunt almost exclusively at night.

Feral hogs.

What I can say is this.

Hogs that are in close proximity to people where there is pressure put on them will only move around on the darkest nights.  in areas where i go to kill them because they are tearing up yards, golf courses and homes.. I only go during new moon.. full moon and you will not see a single hog.

This pattern carries out into the "sticks" for a bit as well.. but for the most part they will just move at night. in those areas i have also seen them move during the day as well under all conditions. When they are close to human population early afternoon into evening is best. nothing happens under a full moon with hogs though.. that I know.

Hello Rex,

Good to know (pretty nice of me hey?). And here I thought "hogs is hogs" no matter when LOL. What did I know, eh? I here the bacon in the South is a bit sweeter too because of the slightly more alkaline soil the plants grow in. Is that true?

Not so fast mister!..LOL

I hunt almost exclusively at night..... I only go during new moon.. full moon and you will not see a single hog.

Rex, does this hold whether its a waning crescent moon or a waxing new moon?  Just curious

Hello Rex,

Good to know (pretty nice of me hey?). And here I thought "hogs is hogs" no matter when LOL. What did I know, eh? I here the bacon in the South is a bit sweeter too because of the slightly more alkaline soil the plants grow in. Is that true?

Feral hogs don't get fat enough to provide bacon...  sorry buddy.. and the ribs arent wrth going after. I take the backstraps and hams.. the rest feeds the buzzards..

Also they definitely take on the flavor of the food they eat..  last one had a "tarragon" flavor to the meat. not horrible but it was there. have no idea what plants caused it.

As for the waning crescent moon or a waxing new moon the latter seems to have more activity here until a waxing gibbous is clearly apparent... then they begin to get scarce.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone use moon phases when hunting game ?

I ask because I like to look at moon phases and see if there's any correlation with regards to Sasquatch sightings but threes a few things I'm uncertain on.

I know that there is becoming more emphasis with Deer hunters these days and I wondered if anyone had any experience with it ?

My main questions are would any particular favourite specific moon phase to hunt be valid in the day time hours as well as the night time or is it considered that better moon phases to hunt in would only be considered for night time hours ?

And does the moon phases affect things due to lighting or do you think it's only because of things like mating and an animals PMT system and subsequent activity from that ?

What's the main emphasis on certain moon phases that are deemed better than others and why ?

I appreciate any responses, I haven't got much experience at all with hunting animals, only people.

Relative to moon phase effect on people, some of studies imply there is no discernible relation between moon phases according so peer reviewed studies, but tell that anyone working with people in law enforcement, emergency room and psychiatric wards and they’ll probably say that’s a bunch of bull waste …. Nevertheless, when it comes to animals there are some studies that suggest at least in part that animals become more aggressive during times of moon phases. (British Medical Journal in 2001) and (Colorado State University Veterinary Medical Center)

SSR Team

For WA State where the SSR is concerned, in general, I'm finding that we are favouring a 60-40 approximate advantage where reports are concerned and the darker moon phases.

That is in general, on average, approximate and isn't a calculated figure, it's just one that after looking into it now for as long as I have, I'm giving you Guys as a rough idea.

I'll give some accurate numbers over the course of the week.

When we break things down though and look at things that logically we'd think would be communication like knock and vocalisation reports, the number rises where darker moon phases are concerned.

This remains consistent across the whole state except for one area, the Northern WA Cascades from the I-90 up to the Canadian border, where all of a sudden the "Full Moon" phase far outweighs any other.

Weird but true.

This is based on analysis of number sets of 100 plus at all times.

Sounds good and I am waiting to hear more about it myself. I would like to hear some additional explanation for the 60/40 figure, and how it applies and what can be interpreted. My understanding is the work and numbers you derived are drawn from the great state of Washington, but would that model necessarily differ in any value what other states can apply or follow or why not?

Edited by Gumshoeye

SSR Team

We don't really have enough data for other States ( like we have with WA with over 540 reports ) to get what I believe would be a sufficient number set to analyse and play with, yet.

But with the fantastic work that redbone is doing in inputting data, the day that we do have it won't be far away.

There is no doubt in my mind that with every passing day now and with every report added to our database, it benefits Sasquatch research more and more and is the most progressive anything that is going on within the subject today, no doubt at all.

The analysis at the end is the easy part, trust me.

Edited by BobbyO
  • Upvote 1

SSR Team

Just a quick one whilst I have a spare 10 mins.

This is darker moon phases % > lighter moon phases % and just random States

IL : 54-46

MI : 59-41

MN: 50-50

WI : 38-62

GA : 67-33 ( low number set )

WA : 55-45

The above are overall and total numbers for each State.

The below is for knock reports ( possible communication )

IL : 58:42

MI : 55-45

MN 57:42

WI : 60-40 ( look at the swing from overall reports above )

WA : 62-38

The below is for vocals ( possible communication )

IL : 59-41

MI : 54-46

MN : 26-74

WI : 50-50 ( look at the swing from overall reports above )

WA : 57-43

Edited by BobbyO

Well Bobby O, I am very excited to see this play out some more. Quickly if you can for all those who may ask, can you explain just briefly what the figures on left represent as opposed to those of the right? Good work, can’t wait to see some more.

Edited by Gumshoeye

SSR Team

The figures on the left are those from the darker four moon phases when the moon emits the least amount of light and the figures on the right are from the lighter moon phases when the moon emits the most light.

The reason I look into knocks and vocals are because we know that prey animals are more likely to move around in the moon phases when the moon emits the least amount of light.

Prey animals feel more secure in darker moon phases and therefore are more active, as therefore are the predators who are looking to hunt them.

If we are to agree that Sasquatch is not a vegetarian then it's highly likely that they would know this and therefore, like other predators, use these times and utilise them to hunt as it heightens their chances, like other predators, in being successful.

If we then agree that knocking and vocalisations would be forms of communications, and then tie up with the above, it then makes sense that 100% of the random State knock reports I listed above would be in the darker moon phases and 80% of the vocalizations reports I listed above would too be in the darker moon phases.

That obviously averages to x 2 forms of potential communication being in the darker moon phases, which favour predators when hunting, 90% of the time, from four random States.

It is thought that in WA there may be different gangs or whatever the plural term is for Sasquatches throughout the State and because of that I broke the estate down in different geographical zones and environments.

When breaking those down, and using the South Cascades from the I-90 to the Columbia River, and the I-5 to the edge of the GP/Wenatchee Forest and the Desert as an example, the average % for both vocals and knock reports in the darker moon phases goes up to 71-29 which I find to be pretty interesting given the size of the number set that we can work with in that area which is over 100 reports.

I hope I've explained that enough to make sense to you and anyone else who is interested.

This to me is the type of thing that we are working towards, getting this type of information and attempting to look at patterns within numbers and attempting to see how they relate to what we already know about the natural world and attempt to apply that possibly to potential Sasquatch behaviour.

This is the way forward where Sasquatch research is concerned and I'll say that until the day I die.. ;)

Edited by salubrious

SSR Team

I ran out of edit time and it wouldn't let me add this in the above post.

Of course in a perfect world we'd have a bigger number set to play with but that's why we've spent the last 3 years uploading data day after day in to the database and will continue to do so, so we can give ourselves the chance to analyse more numbers which will in turn hopefully allow us to relay more accurate numbers to you Guys where patterns of behaviour and movement are concerned.

Edited by salubrious