Wood Knocking

Guest zenmonkey

Guest zenmonkey

If you guys wood knock what do you use? Any good sized log laying around or do you have a "special stick".    

Edited by zenmonkey

I like just a good special stick I find when out in the field but honestly it more about what kind off of tree you strike and how hard , also I have held flat short pieces of 2x4 or and smacked them together flat to flat and got some nice loud knocks so you don't have to find the perfect tree to hit. A good opportunity to place audio recorder when you go out and hear yourself leave and listen for a "all clear" knock after your vehicle pulls off too.

Guest zenmonkey

Thanks gear. Ya I've been using a ax handle. It just doesn't sound natural enough. Think I'm gonna drill some holes in it little more of an echo.

Guest keninsc

Well, in order to get the right sound for the area then you need to use what a Bigfoot would use. Odds are he doesn't run down to the local Lowes and get 2x4's, a saw and a couple hinges to make his own slap boards. I could be wrong since i have seen some people who could pass for a Bigfoot there, but I think it best to use whatever is available in a given area. It's going to sound like what a Bigfoot is use to hearing.

I typically do not wood knock with wood deliberately, most of the time I bust up firewood without a hatchet to make noise and burn off a few calories LOL. That being said we have done knocks every once and a while but more common in our camp is to beat this metal washtub with stick repeatedly.  I really believe this for some reason gets somethings attention, this technique has been used on three trips and has seemingly brought on some form of odd activity on just about every trip to the location.  It sounds completely nuts I know but it seems to stir up something.

I would be VERY interested to have some others doing field work try this in their study areas and report their results.

Well at the risk of being redundant I have included the incidence recorded in

my backyard marsh where I believe a Squatch, probably a Juvenile or adolescent,

is setting off the yotes by woodknocking(3 am ish).  My impression is of a very strong forceful blow with a good

sized log against a solid tree....that is actually fairly hard to imitate do to the force

needed.  You will have to really muscle up on that thing and hope you don't catch

a buzzer, ooh that hurts....found out a few times last fall......also I have another

that is similar but is responded to by a moaning howl. (again I am convinced that

the knocking here is not originating from a human origin, it is actually taking place

along the wood line of my marsh in the wee hours of the night 2am-4am ish)  The

cars driving along my road illustrate the sub-urban/Rural nature of my property...

sirens coyotes tree knocks.mp3

Banging Moan Howl.mp3

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Generally now a days we really try to refrain from doing any knocks since we use so much audio on group outings as well as refrain from doing manual vocals as they distort over distant and get picked up by our own recorders. Doing knocks for myself has gotten to be something while out solo or in a very small group away from other  areas that others may be if you know the lay of the land around you and all the roads etc. When not on a plnned expedition and just an impromtu knock for fun every now and then shure especially if in a new spot for the forst time. Maybe do just one loud one

Edited by GEARMAN

Guest zenmonkey

I typically do not wood knock with wood deliberately, most of the time I bust up firewood without a hatchet to make noise and burn off a few calories LOL. That being said we have done knocks every once and a while but more common in our camp is to beat this metal washtub with stick repeatedly.  I really believe this for some reason gets somethings attention, this technique has been used on three trips and has seemingly brought on some form of odd activity on just about every trip to the location.  It sounds completely nuts I know but it seems to stir up something.

I would be VERY interested to have some others doing field work try this in their study areas and report their results.

Ive heard many people say that tapping or banging on metal is getting some strange responses. Ya I realize you should use what they would use. Just something laying around but I wanted to find some consistency 

Old spade shovel handle. It's Hickory and about 4 feet long. The business end is about 5 quarters thick and the part I hold is about 1" thick. Perfect for my hands. It's also long enough to have some spring so it doesn't hurt my hands. Works great but I typically don't knock anymore cuz I don't really know what the heck I'm implying?? Could be an arm wrestling challenge for all I know??!!

The one knock I heard that was crazy sounding, and very loud, from an uninhabited by humans area in my back yard, sounded like a baseball bat hitting a homerun out of the park.  So maybe a baseball bat would work well against a tree.

I agree with you kearnsy - why knock and say something when you don't know what you are saying.  I don't knock or call them. 

I don't need to because about once a month, including winter time, something happens.  So I have no lack for action here. 

I don't, but the knocks I've hear them make sound as if they're using a axe to make an occasional chop (on pine).  If I were to do any knocking, I'd probably choose an axe handle.

I'd swing it one handed from as far away from the tree as I could and still hit it solidly.  I'd make sure I got a full 180 degree arc into the swing, swing it as hard as I could, and hold it just tight enough so that it doesn't go flying out of my hand when it bounces off of the tree.  This would replicate the quality of sound I've heard.

Edited by JDL

Cervelo . I have heard knocking like that but it is mostly discounted because it is to distant to tell if it wood on wood or gun shot.    

Some the stuff I have heard was up close withing 50 yards and was certainly wood on wood , one time I heard the knocking stick or branch break upon the impact and the piece fly into leaf litter.

The knocks I heard across from my house sounded like baseball bats or even gun shots at times. 

I must add this too....that at the time I was rebuilding a horse stall in the barn.  My son was very young and couldn't do much hammering of nails at that age but for a girl I had a fairly good swing and did most of the repairs around there.  The hairy guys might have thought I was sending them messages lol???  Who knows???

And it was not hunting season, I checked with the warden.