Infrasound Event Preliminary Report

SWWASAS

BFF Patron

Here is the audio software trace of the infrasound event.      The lower trace channel shows it best.      Each tick represents the primary infrasound wave hitting and clinking something in the pack the recorder was mounted on.     At the left the ticks are further apart and the frequency lower to the right the ticks get closer indicating the infrasound blast is increasing in frequency.    By comparing the length of the ticks left to right compared to the timeline,  I was able to determine the blast lasted 5.22 seconds,  the frequency was initially 4.22 hz and increased to the end of the blast to 10.67 hz.   The average was 6.7 hz.   Click on the photo to get a larger picture to look at.  

post-23549-0-22017400-1395780010_thumb.j

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Further data:   Today I was looking at all the quiet flat line audio traces after the infrasound blast.     In three different places I found a trace that was two pings only, of higher amplitude than the infra blast but at about the same starting 4.3 hz frequency, well below human hearing capability.   Since I was standing still at that time for an extended period listening,  I was wondering if the pings were some sort of sonar blast put out by the BF to try to keep track of me.     Or it could possibly have been some sort of infrasound signal to other BF in the area.     Something similar to an infrasound version of a tree knock. 

Two hours after the primary event I returned to that location to get the GPS coordinates.  By this time I was wondering why I left in the first place.    After I got the coordinates and took a couple of pictures there was a weak but directional event that seemed more like chest slapping than the previous infrasound event.   I could hear it with my ears, and determine the direction.   I felt no vibrations in my body.     Either it was chest slapping or a distant attempt at infrasound that did not have the power of the initial event.    Certainly it did not have the fear component that the first event produced.   I can barely see it on the graphics trace so it has little value as data.  

I don't know much or anything about "infrasound" but you had me wondering. Were you near Mt St Helens? made me think of harmonic tremors. I remember Harmonic tremors preceding eruptions in the past. I know the Mountain has been quiet lately but just wondered if you were near by the mountain?

here is a blurb from wikipedia

A harmonic tremor is a sustained release of seismic and/or infrasonic energy typically associated with the underground movement of magma and/or venting of volcanic gases from magma. 

just curious good job on all your research.

BFF Patron

No where near Mt St Helens.       I would have felt such tremors in my feet too like you do for an earthquake.   But that was an excellent question. 

Admin

That's awesome SWWas,

Maybe I'm asking too much, but do you mind posting the audio?  :biggrin:  hopefully in uncompressed format...

Thanks!

Just curious if anyone knows how a large bowl of water would react to infrasound waves? It seems if there is a wave response, one might video the water surface with a source light, so ripples have a glare.

Any thoughts on running such an experiment?

Bill

Good thought Bill. Shades of Jurassic Park!

Thanks for sharing the detailed analysis SWW.

Edited by Airdale

Thank you, thank you for posting your incident!!!!!!!!  Some of us are reading this right now and shaking our heads in the affirmative.

I can only add one thing and this is strickly my opinion only and that is, I think* that if you are too close to a nursery, or you have disturbed a hunt, etc., you could get zapped.  

Hope to see more graphs..........

Thanks again!  :keeporder:

BFF Patron

Bill:   The bowl of water thing might work but it is not very portable.       Because of what happened to the objects in my pack I think a large aluminum disk, larger the better, with a couple of washers in contact with each other and the disk would be a low tech detector.    Just hang the metal disk on a tree branch.    The infrasound waves would make the washers rattle against each other and be audible.      Higher tech would be a very large permanent magnet speaker attached to a portable oscilloscope.      Oscilloscopes can display down to very low frequencies.     With any device you still have to somehow provoke the BF.     It occurred to me that with a means to detect infrasound, use of infrasound is a dead giveaway for BF.   No North American animal uses it that I am aware of.    Elephants, whales,  lions,  use infrasound.     I can think of many times in the field I have had the same feelings of fear, dread, and desire to flee but never had the full zap thing laid on me.    It could be that it takes the size and powerful lungs of an adult male to do that.    To make my innards noticeable vibrate at some yards distance, takes a great deal of power.      Another researcher who has experienced the zap thing is worried about my well being.   I seem to have pissed of the locals somehow because they do not use the zap thing that often.   In his situation they were trying to drive him out of an area.  

To release the audio I want to make a complete time line of the segment where the events happened.     That will take me some time.      The file is very large as it is a fairly high fidelity wav file.     So I will have to cut it down to something uploadable.      Right now I don't want to even take it out of my recorder until I have completed my analysis.       I was out in the field 4 hours that day and every second is recorded so I want to carefully analyze the whole thing before I mess with cutting up the files.     Quite frankly it is quite unremarkable to listen to because you cannot hear the event directly.     Without the graphics trace I never would have found it.    The part where I have been scared and start talking to the BF that did it, might be funny to some.     I just wanted them to stop.     R R

BFF Patron

It just occurred to me that the three two wave ping events I recorded could travel for miles.     If they were some sort of signal to other BF they might be detectable by other BF miles away.       They might either be able to hear them or feel them in their chest cavities.     I urge those who have made field recordings to review them with graphics software.     My graphics trace picture should be similar in appearance to any infra sound events you have on your recordings.      I use Transcribe which was recommended to me by Scott Nelson.      It is a shareware software program that is very inexpensive and downloadable.    You get free use of it for a month but I think it was only $28 to register and get free updates.      You can also slow things down should you ever capture BF samurai speech.   

The water bowl thing is something I may try myself in a few weeks, when I'm up in Washington with people who are having recurring incidents on their woodland property. So I'll be at a fixed location, can run camcorders on AC all day or night long. So I may give it a try.

Bill

Here is the audio software trace of the infrasound event.     

Is it possible that the sound that is shown on the software trace could have been caused by an electrical frequency?

I've noticed that they have a lot of electrical anomalies going on around them, & have recently had reason to believe that there is more to the zapping than just sound.

Sassy,

Thanks your comment reminded me of another issue.

Could the infrasound affect batteries or have you noticed?