Bigfoot Nests W/terrible Smells

Foxfire

I've been reading some posts on BFRO about people finding "nests" with smells so terrible that they would gag. For some reason, urine was being discarded (pretty much) as the source, and several other bodily functions considered as sources and possible reasons for such action. I'm not a member of that site, but since I am here, I thought I would bring the subject up.

To me it would seem highly probable that urine WOULD be the source, since animals use this as their attractant during mating seasons. Deer certainly *scrape out clean areas and urinate in them to attract does, and will even leave a *track purposefully placed inside. Cats definitely leave their "markers" all over the place-- horrible smell. <g>

So, why not Bigfoot?

AND-- if bigfoot does use this practice as well, does it mean that they have "seasons", as opposed to our human habits?

AND-- as with deer, bear, etc., could their seasons coincide with roadside sightings/crossings?

I've not been researching bigfoot for very long at all, but I wondered if the (near)road sightings could have a time pattern to them, and if they could have anything to do with males choosing or being forced to expand their territory like other animals. Heaven forbid hearing or witnessing a bigfoot fight!

But then, after thinking these thoughts, I remember the "bigfoot *families" that people witness that seem to have both adult females and males in the bunch, along with the younger ones. That would not seem likely.

Maybe their mating habits fall somewhere in between those of humans and animals... ???

Most likely this has been discussed on here before... any links? 

--Foxfire

I'd say "check your assumptions at the door."    What bearing would your belief on something being probable or likely have on it being reality?   I mean, really.  Seems like you have it backwards.   You should be studying what is rather than trying to pick and choose what "facts" you'll consider in a way that best supports your foregone conclusion.

What I smelled is NOTHING like what you presume I smelled.  Deal with it or ignore it, it's your choice.

MIB

• Upvote 1

There is the stench that bigfoot are able to fire off, presumably voluntarily, or involuntarily (as gorillas are able to do).

Then there is the odor that they pick up from being unwashed and by absorption from nearby things.

If you perform a search for the word midden you will find that I've already proposed a theory that explains this.

Many animals have middens in their dens.  The middens hold refuse, urine, and fecal matter (containing bacteria).  The refuse also includes the uneaten remains of prey (bearing yet more bacteria.  Now, this refuse, if mixed with vegetable matter, such as decaying leaves and other vegetation, begins to decay by the same natural bacterial process as a compost pile, generating heat.

I hypothesize that bigfoot actually mix vegetation into their middens to create the same effect as gained from a compost pile to generate heat for their dens. Midden heating would generate the odor of rotting vegetation, rotting flesh, fermenting fecal matter, and concentrated urine.  A bigfoot spending time in a den with such a midden used for heating would pick up these odors as they absorb into their hair.  Leaving the den, the bigfoot will eventually air out over time.  So if you smell one that is particularly fragrant, you're likely close to its den.

I've found some dismantled shelters in the past, that had middens positioned at the back where the den was built up against a slope.  The remains of the midden contained the mix I've described above.

Also, a while back, the BFRO was posting pictures of decomposed stumps that were essentially breaking down into fiber and dust.  These could have been used as the starter material for middens, with shelters constructed around them.  The stump, already beginning to decay, would be the perfect foundation for a midden pile built around it.  Later, after the shelter has been deconstructed, the remains of the stump would exhibit accelerated decay, with the softer components completely eaten away by bacteria and only the most fibrous material remaining, but also breaking down.

Reptiles and birds also use rotting vegetative matter to heat their nests and their eggs.

I'd say "check your assumptions at the door."    What bearing would your belief on something being probable or likely have on it being reality?   I mean, really.  Seems like you have it backwards.   You should be studying what is rather than trying to pick and choose what "facts" you'll consider in a way that best supports your foregone conclusion.

What I smelled is NOTHING like what you presume I smelled.  Deal with it or ignore it, it's your choice.

MIB

MIB, apparently *you are assuming that I have read, and am responding to, a post that you have made/experience that you had.

NO.

I don't know WHAT you smelled, haven't READ about what you smelled, so where and when did I PRESUME that you smelled what?????

Take note that my post was full of "ifs", "coulds", and "wonderings."

Didn't state any facts or realities... VERY FEW people on these sites can state actual realities about bigfoot, but I sure appreciate the ones who can.

Not presuming anything about anybody or anything. Not denying anything anyone has posted, if you're gonna accuse me of that as well.

Came to absolutely NO conclusions.

Saw a post ON ANOTHER SITE, by someone who had an experience and HE said it smelled just like urine.

People were having a very friendly sounding conversation on the *possibilities.

I am really curious about why your mind jumped with the responses/conclusions that it did.

So, sincerely, I do want to try and find the post of the experience you had... I'm really curious, of course, and I guarantee you I won't be presuming anything negative about it.~

--Foxfire

Welcome aboard Foxfire, 

I imagine that it is possible someone has found a valid and current bedding area.  

Just comparing Humans and Gorillas,we both have scent glands in our arm pits, aprocine?    

I can see the possibility that something similar exist for the squatch.

There is the stench that bigfoot are able to fire off, presumably voluntarily, or involuntarily (as gorillas are able to do).

Then there is the odor that they pick up from being unwashed and by absorption from nearby things.

If you perform a search for the word midden you will find that I've already proposed a theory that explains this.

Many animals have middens in their dens.  The middens hold refuse, urine, and fecal matter (containing bacteria).  The refuse also includes the uneaten remains of prey (bearing yet more bacteria.  Now, this refuse, if mixed with vegetable matter, such as decaying leaves and other vegetation, begins to decay by the same natural bacterial process as a compost pile, generating heat.

I hypothesize that bigfoot actually mix vegetation into their middens to create the same effect as gained from a compost pile to generate heat for their dens. Midden heating would generate the odor of rotting vegetation, rotting flesh, fermenting fecal matter, and concentrated urine.  A bigfoot spending time in a den with such a midden used for heating would pick up these odors as they absorb into their hair.  Leaving the den, the bigfoot will eventually air out over time.  So if you smell one that is particularly fragrant, you're likely close to its den.

I've found some dismantled shelters in the past, that had middens positioned at the back where the den was built up against a slope.  The remains of the midden contained the mix I've described above.

Also, a while back, the BFRO was posting pictures of decomposed stumps that were essentially breaking down into fiber and dust.  These could have been used as the starter material for middens, with shelters constructed around them.  The stump, already beginning to decay, would be the perfect foundation for a midden pile built around it.  Later, after the shelter has been deconstructed, the remains of the stump would exhibit accelerated decay, with the softer components completely eaten away by bacteria and only the most fibrous material remaining, but also breaking down.

Reptiles and birds also use rotting vegetative matter to heat their nests and their eggs.

JDL, this is VERY interesting and helpful to someone like myself, very new to searching out information on Bigfoot.

It also sounds like a major possibility as to what the original poster I spoke of had witnessed, since it literally made him gag.

(For what it's worth, he was hoping for other people's opinions)

Would I be allowed to post the topic title here?

--Foxfire

Guest JiggyPotamus

I would think that your average person could potentially pick up on the smell of urine, as long as it is not too different from that of cats, dogs, or other domestic animals. I HATE the smell of cat urine, and imo it is the worst-smelling that I've ever encountered. I have been keeping my brother's cat because he is living in our camper while he is buying a house, and because he never had her fixed, she got out once or twice and got pregnant. Anyway, she had two kittens, and one died, while the other is a few months old now...and she refuses to use the litter box. At least now she has started using the bathtub, lol, which trust me, is better than the floor. And I hate the smell. Off topic, but I'm keeping his dog as well, and he doesn't get along with my dog. They got in a fight Sunday, which woke me up, and I jumped up and tried to separate them, and got bit on the foot. I went to the doctor today because the 4 bite marks on my foot are infected. So I've got cellulitis in my foot and can't walk. Just hoping neither had rabies, as we don't know if the dog that bit me has been vaccinated. Taking a chance with that, as being a probability-minded person, I think I'm probably good.

ANYWAY...If sasquatch urine doesn't smell like traditional domestic animal urine, or something that your average person might be familiar with, then perhaps the smell would not be attributed to such a substance. Or, if the urine is so overpowering that it doesn't smell like urine, it could perhaps be overlooked as such, if that is possible. OR, perhaps sasquatch produce some pungent pheromones or something, or just have a special gland that secretes a foul-smelling substance for some purpose. One thing to remember however is that this pungent odor has also been reported during a sighting, in the complete absence of a possible sasquatch structure. Because of this I am thinking that the odor is emanating from the animal itself, or is coming from a substance that has attached itself to the animal.

There is a small amount of evidence suggesting that sasquatch pursue skunks as a food source, and if this is a widespread trait among the sasquatch population, it is at least plausible that they get sprayed rather frequently, at least when compared with humans. Humans generally don't pursue skunks, although it doesn't necessarily take pursuit of the animal for it to spray you. But seeking them out definitely is a way to get stinky. So maybe that is a possibility. I suppose that if the smell doesn't bother the sasquatch, then skunks are just another food source to them. Some have proposed they use "skunk gas" in a purposeful manner. Personally I don't think skunks are the most plausible answer to the question of sasquatch odor.

I think that although some describe the odor as being somewhat like a skunk, it is inherently different as well, which could mean that it is something else entirely. I've never smelled it, but I envision more of a "rotten eggs" type of smell, or something like that. But either not all sasquatch have this smell, or can produce this smell, or they don't all have it all the time. Hard to say really. I suppose that it is possible for a sasquatch to always smell this way, but witnesses may not pick up on the smell because of the direction of the wind, the distance of the sighting, or some other factor.

I think that the reason the nest smells, if that is what these structures actually are, is because the sasquatch was inside. The smell just kind of stuck to the structure, because of the overpowering nature the smell has. Your idea of the smell being an attractant for females is interesting, and definitely a possibility in my opinion.

I cannot recall whether any witnesses reported this odor in association with an obvious female sasquatch. One would think that if skunks were responsible, then the distribution of stinky males and stinky females would be roughly the same, IF the female hunts as much as the male of course. But if the smell seems only to be associated with male sasquatch, then perhaps you are on to something with the idea of an attractant. Perhaps the smell, after it is produced, just hangs around for a while. However, I never really thought that sasquatch had a mating season like other wild animals do, but I could be wrong. Their similarity to humans in so many instances, as well as eyewitness testimony, has led me to believe they form family units, as you said, and if this is true, is an attractant for females actually necessary?

It could be, although I would think that most male animals attract females, mate with them, and then move on, rather than attracting an actual mate for life. But perhaps there are examples of this very thing in the animal kingdom that I am not aware of. In fact, the more I think about it, human males often do the same thing. They attempt to attract a female for a long-term relationship, although the short-term relationships are also sought. So perhaps sasquatch exhibit similar behavior. Given their "undeveloped" or "wild" nature as compared with humans, maybe we should expect them to have more instinctual drives. So would they have an instinctual drive that urged them to mate with one partner for life? It is possible. Humans have a culture that sometimes clashes with instinctual desires, but I don't think sasquatch possess such a thing, therefore I just feel they will have a single instinctual drive when it comes to selecting a partner and mating, and I think what evidence is available suggests that they mate for life.

Of course it would make more sense that they behaved like other animals, with males attempting to attract different females, mating with as many as possible, or a different individual in every instance where they have the urge to procreate, but I cannot rectify this seemingly more obvious possibility with the evidence that suggests they form family units. Either way, it is a highly intriguing question, and arguments could be made for both sides with the absence of hard data that constantly plagues the community.

So perhaps only "single" males would produce such an attractant. If the population is relatively small and dispersed throughout North America, then perhaps there was necessity for an attractant that could travel vast distances. But how far would such a smell actually carry? Maybe sasquatch do have a very heightened sense of smell, thus they are able to detect an odor this pungent over vast distances. Just another possibility in a sea of possibilities.

I forgot that you addressed the possibility of "markers" being left by sasquatch. To this I would again draw attention to the fact the witnesses report the smell as emanating from the animal itself, which suggests to me that it is probably not something they are purposefully leaving all over the place, although perhaps they could rub it off on trees or something, possibly even purposefully.

As far as increased roadside sightings during mating season, I also find it possible, but considering the sheer number of roads that run through sasquatch territory, I would think it would be hard to determine such a thing. If they were on the move more during a specific mating season, then perhaps the idea would be more plausible, as the more they are on the move, the greater the chance that they will encounter a road that needs to be crossed. My personal opinion is that they are migratory animals in general, and that they do not stay in a particular area for more than 3 months or so. That is on a larger level. Getting down to a smaller level, where they are in the same general area or region, would they sleep in the same place every night for months at a time, or do they remain in the area yet still move around to a lesser degree? I don't really know, but have always suspected that they just sleep "wherever." This contradicts the idea of sasquatch building shelters though.

I think that they MUST sleep out in the open some of the time. If every single sasquatch, who is migratory to some degree, needed a shelter for every single night, I would think people might find them more often. But perhaps this is wishful thinking, considering that the shelters may not be very sturdy, and could be dispersed easily by the wind. Or perhaps many shelters are built deep in the woods, making it less probable that they would ever be found before they've naturally been destroyed. Maybe it is hard to see a shelter that is made of wood and leaves or whatever in the woods, especially if one is not looking for it. Or perhaps the majority of people who encounter such shelters, or remnants or shelters, simply write them off as having been done by humans. For someone who doesn't give sasquatch a second thought this is definitely plausible, as they would not attribute something like that to a sasquatch.

I will close by repeating that this is a very interesting topic in general. Like many other areas in this field there is going to be much speculation, and not everyone will agree with my opinions, nor I with theirs, but that is a good thing. The larger the variety of ideas floating about, the more possible explanations are being covered. I think that anyone interested in sasquatch should just think about all of the possibilities, and weigh them against what they have read in sighting reports, or witnessed for themselves, and then they should share their conclusions on the forums, or among the community in some other manner. I know for a fact that there are a variety of opinions on all things sasquatch-related, and aside from the disagreements over the existence of these animals, I think all opinions and debates are actually helpful, and promote a more healthy community.

In my opinion MIB was a bit boorish and hope you stay with us. Welcome to the forum.

JDL, your analysis sounds good to me and so does Foxfire's theory. Is it possible that BF is a super animal like a deer, bear, or cougar, and uses urine to smell better during breeding season? 

Does BF have many human traits except for smelling good since it lays in a stinky nest?

Do bigfoot rolls in dead animal meat to cover their scent while hunting?

Are their nest stinky or do they cover the heat generating compost with moss or cedar bark?

Do they smell good except for the time understress when they eminate a pungent ordor as a type of BO. Human males produce a stinky BO odor when under stress and after not bathing for some time.

We simply can only theorize, since so far very few have studied them in the wild.

Have we ever heard of someone living with the bigfoots for an extended period of time that can answer these questions?

Edited by georgerm

There's a member here who had a canoe accident as a Boy Scout.  According to him, he lost consciousness and, according to his friend, he was taken by a bigfoot.  He says he regained consciousness briefly and was laying on a hard packed dirt floor in a warm current of air that stank.  He says he saw something walk by that was hairy from the ankles down, before he lost consciousness again.  A short time later the scoutmasters found him along the river near where his canoe had capsized.  When he returned to camp, everybody complained about the stench he carried.

Yes, JiggyPottamus-- you totally understood what I was getting at/wondering about concerning the possible mating habits of Bigfoot. :)

I knew I had read about witnesses seeing them as "families" (which I totally believe), and that this scenario would not seem to fit with the notion of them having a typical *season where the females would come in heat, the males would respond like crazy to all possible partners, as would the females, and then the females would raise the young on their own, usually running the males off. (Uhhhh... yeah.)

More reading...

--Foxfire

Georgerm-- Thank you, and YES, I am here to stay, as long as I don't kicked off. I came here to learn, whether it be about bigfoot's habits, traits, or the experiences people have had with him. Misunderstandings and nasty responses are part of most forums, even those about cats, bluegrass music, fishing, etc... ;)

--Foxfire

There's a member here who had a canoe accident as a Boy Scout.  According to him, he lost consciousness and, according to his friend, he was taken by a bigfoot.  He says he regained consciousness briefly and was laying on a hard packed dirt floor in a warm current of air that stank.  He says he saw something walk by that was hairy from the ankles down, before he lost consciousness again.  A short time later the scoutmasters found him along the river near where his canoe had capsized.  When he returned to camp, everybody complained about the stench he carried.

I've read a few posts about people's animals being possibly exposed to bigfoot, and returning with this awful smell, and now I read your post.

This keeps bringing to mind a situation with one of the local cats that was very friendly, but she would take off and stay gone for a few days to a week, coming back smelling like she had been rolling around in a dead animal. For most of last year, this was the case. I had to keep her from rubbing against me, and it was hard to be around her. At the end of the summer, she disappeared and I haven't seen her since. Just so happens, about 10 years ago or so, reports of an orangutan/skunk ape being in the neighboring county (?) was in the newspaper and on TV. It was seen *killing dogs, but carrying off people's kittens.

Maybe my local cat had found a dead cow that she enjoyed rolling around in for days, but my mind IS gonna wonder about that smell, now.

--Foxfire

MIB, apparently *you are assuming that I have read, and am responding to, a post that you have made/experience that you had.

NO.

I don't know WHAT you smelled, haven't READ about what you smelled, so where and when did I PRESUME that you smelled what?????

I was irked over something else elsewhere, mistook your meaning, and reacted too strongly.  Bad timing, bad self restraint on my part.  I most certainly do not want you leaving on account of me chewing on my foot.  I hope you will accept my apology.

What I've been "chasing" on the mountain above town the last 10 years is nothing at all like urine.    It seems fecal only ... sharper.  There is something going on there I don't understand.  The smell is only present seasonally, only at a certain time of day, it comes from VERY close because I can take a step or two across the direction of the wind and be out of it, a step or two back and be in it, yet the wind comes from different directions.  

MIB

Edited by MIB

Guest keninsc

To smell or not to smell? A sasquatch by any other name and all that. I have never found a smelly nest, I have encountered a nasty smell once I couldn't identify, but I would sure remember it if I smelled it again. It's sort of like smelling a florescent tube ballast going out, it's just a smell like no other, I can't accurately describe it to you but once you smell it you never forget it.

Jiggy, really fine and perceptive post. Didn't know about BF hunting skunks.

MIB nice return post and really cool. Does this always happen in the same area? If it was a dead animal, you would surley find it. I searched all over for a bad smell that at the time was BF until I finally found the dead animal!  

MIB do you think it's a BF staying under cover? 

Is this around the Eugene area?

Edited by georgerm