When Existence Is Proven, Then What?

TedSallis

Guest keninsc

I'm responding, Squatchy McSquatch, so I'm in on the PMP as soon as one is proven. I'm doing my bit to get that proof, here in SW British Columbia, in fact I'll be out looking tomorrow. It's a great way to enjoy one of the greatest places on this planet, and if I'm quick enough this time around, I might even collect your proof, as well as your bet.

Good for you!

keninsc:  is that 'Wow, I never thought of that' or 'Wow, I really don't know how to think about this'?

All I'm telling you is what experience tells me is GONNA happen in the scientific community when this animal is confirmed.

But of course anyone who thinks Bigfoot TV and bigfoot discussion will immediately stop once the animal is confirmed doesn't know how to think about this.

One-word answers are a bigfoot-skeptic stock in trade.  They kind of telegraph one's [lack of] punch.

Gotta Know = knows how to think about this

Squatchy McRug = cracked crystal ball

BFF Patron

Somehow I think Squatchy will slink away and never be heard from again when BF existence is proven now that he has put money on the line.   Or he could be like one of the flat earther's and never believe it.     If  he seems so confident at ignoring evidence suggesting there is some probability of existence that he will bet, then he will probably never accept proof.    There are people that claim we never landed on the moon either.  

• Upvote 3

Prove One and I will:

-Eat collective crow on the forum and apologize for my stance.

-Donate $1000 US to the BFF in member donations.

- I will pay for the PMP premium of every Proponent Member who responds to this thread.

This is my word.

All you have to do is Prove One.

Just One.

But you can't though.

It can't be an errant circus ape. It has to be absolutely unclassified of its own bipedalness. Unkown to both scientists and Carnies alike.

It should look and move like the PGF and it has to be Very Squatchy.

That day that OP speaks of won't happen though.

There is nothing to apologize for. You've never seen one and anecdotal evidence doesn't do it for you......I get it, I have many friends like you.

With that said with a discovery? We would all get left in the dust........the amateurs would get shoved aside, and scientists would flock to the subject.

• Upvote 1

Guest lightheart

I am concerned that if they were to be "discovered" a lot of the state and federal land would become off limits to the public for a period of time. I really value my time spent in nature and would not be one bit happy about that.

There is no doubt in my mind that they already know what they are and general areas where they can be found. Actually I have come to think that "discovery" may not be the great thing everyone is hoping for. Not good for them or for us. If they can be managed for the most part with behavioral conditioning such as consequences when an interaction is reported then just let things go on as they are. 

I would like to know exactly what they are though.

For me, personally, directly, "official discovery" is a non-event.    As a knower, I ... know.   I don't have an agenda of proof.  I don't have a list of people to call and say "I told you so."    So in the OP's scenario, I guess I'd finish breakfast and go to work same as any other day.

I reckon there'd be some talk at the water cooler.   I reckon the "bleebers" would be talkin' "told ya so" and the scoftics (yep, we have them, too) would be sayin' "hoax" ... and nothing would have changed.   I'm sure a few people would come to me to ask what I thought and I'd have to tell them "yep, they're real, but I'm not sure about that particular piece of evidence, it can stand or fall without affecting the truth."   Hopes have been raised and dashed too many times.  Nobody but the greenest noob is going to hang their personal belief on the legitimacy of one piece of evidence and ignore all others.  In some matter of weeks - months - years, then I suspect it'd be just matter of fact.  The scoffers might have even forgot they'd scoffed (and hoped everyone else had, too).  

Public .. I reckon will be interested, at least 'til something else newsworthy comes along.  The news-watching public has the attention span of a gnat.   The bigger impacts will come from the lunatic fringe of various religions (both pro and con), political groups who want to adopt the big guys as their poster child for whatever the cause of the moment is, and so on. 

I don't know what they are.  I'm not CERTAIN of what's best so far as protection.   I do have some ideas, but that's all they are, ideas.  I suspect the very best that could come out of "proof" is if in that moment of shock we change course.   I don't think most of the harm we do comes from malice, it comes from ignorance, "not my problem", and "don't give a ****."   Perhaps their discovery could motivate us, inspire us to do the things we should be doing anyway.   As it is, we can't look past our immediate gratification to consider that's in our own long term best interest and do something about it.  If anything good comes from "discover" of the big guys, that would be the best. 

Maybe we could learn respect.   Gotta respect yourself before you can respect others.   Look for bigfoot, find yourself.   Dare we look in the mirror they show us?

MIB

• Upvote 2

While I think it's possible an undocumented upright, bipedal (probably primate) creature exists, I sure wouldn't recommend making too many plans for satisfying oneupmanship if/when the creature is proven. If it exists, it is certainly a worthy, elusive creature. Not one whose existence is easily brought to light. If and when one is proven, it's doubtful another will soon be dragged into a laboratory.

If and when one is certifiably brought to bear, I will ask Mr. Squatchy and Mr. Dmaker to enjoy a fine repast of freshly-prepared crow, and include me into their dinners.

I'll anxiously await studies proving their wooness, their abilities acclaimed by the habituators upon this forum of oddness, up to and including telepathy, dimension-jumping, projecting infrasound, projecting sounds at a distance, mimicry the likes of which no other creature in recorded history is capable of, and general providing "believers" with warm, puppy-squeezing satisfaction.

I expect to provide substantial crow-fodder for denialist and habituator to make for a merry go-round.

• Upvote 1

MIB:  I can go with that one.

Most people simply aren't that invested in the natural world.  For many of them it might be "I'll be danged" and back to business.

The scientific community, however, will be getting busier than it's ever gotten, because for them the fun will only have just begun...including the explanations why they took so long to get interested in this.

Edited by DWA

^^Haha. So true.

Sadly, that's already been a reality for me. Ignorance was bliss; so many hiking trips in the N. Cascades decades ago with nary a care in the world except for (at the time) black bears. Now my head is on a swivel when I'm outdoors. Not fear-based exactly, but just knowledge based. That we are not alone. We're being watched. Probably in a non-aggressive way at most times, but still--we're not alone.

Yeah, one of the implications will be its effect on the camping/hiking/RV world. But maybe a positive one? Primate tourism, as it were?

All I can say is:

The evidence persuades me; WSA and I heard what may well have been a woodknock on our April backpack in AL;...and we both slept pretty soundly.

There's risks in the woods, always will be.  They're probably less than those on the highway or a city street.

If you've ever had a good night's sleep on the ground in grizzly country, this should not be a problem for you. Even less so than that.  Really, much less.

I am concerned that if they were to be "discovered" a lot of the state and federal land would become off limits to the public for a period of time. I really value my time spent in nature and would not be one bit happy about that.

There is no doubt in my mind that they already know what they are and general areas where they can be found. Actually I have come to think that "discovery" may not be the great thing everyone is hoping for. Not good for them or for us. If they can be managed for the most part with behavioral conditioning such as consequences when an interaction is reported then just let things go on as they are. 

I would like to know exactly what they are though.

Your last sentence is why I think the specimen being sought by NAWAC is ...well, a guilty pleasure.  Then we'd be on the way to knowing (and I don't think most people understand how far away we will be, even with a specimen in hand).  And I want to know too.

The problem, of course, is that double-edged sword:  what authorities armed with the knowledge might do with it, some of which we might be upset with if they did.

But this is where I think a solid acquaintance with the evidence comes in most handy:  you aren't waiting for someone to satisfy you.  It would be cool, but it isn't necessary for me.  I know within broad parameters what this is (a new bipedal member - at least one - of the order Primates); so no conclusions in that regard can shock me.  Everywhere I go that a sighting seems possible, I'm on the alert, just the way I am, in appropriate habitat, for bear, coyote, bobcat or whatever else.  I'm not likely at all to mistake any common animal for a sasquatch; when I see one, I'll know, and if it's not one, I'll know.  

That everyone that I have heard from thinks what I think who seems to have paid as much attention as me - including several uniquely qualified scientists - is telling.

So I don't need anyone to kill one.  I don't have any unwavering ideas impervious to facts or speculation.  And that an animal like this lives in North America is just plain cool.

That the evidence not only backs that up but makes any other conclusion unlikely in the far extreme is, well, it's fun, folks.  Try it.

Edited by DWA

Guest JiggyPotamus

I would watch carefully to see who would be willing to admit they were wrong. Not necessarily those who were not convinced, but those who made it a point to parrot the belief that there is no way the animal could exist. Nay-sayers I guess is what I mean. I have pondered this question before, and I think that many things within the community would remain the same. Once existence is proven, there might be a scientific rush to gather more evidence, but that evidence will be very slowly in coming.

Just think of all the researchers in the field right now, and the difficulty they've had in capturing evidence. Just because proper scientists get involved does not mean it will suddenly become easier. It will take them quite a while to learn what the research community has already learned, which is that one cannot study bigfoot like they would any other wild animal. Sasquatch are too intelligent, aware of their surroundings, and are able to process information unlike any other primate, aside from humans. Of course they would not have a clue as to what to do in a city, but in the woods, their environment, they will best us nine times out of every ten.

But I do not wish to underestimate the persistence of science, of course once they know something is there. So if they know the animal is out there, so many resources will be spent that they will accomplish what amateur researchers have not been able to up to this point. But it will not be immediate is my point. And even after discovery there will be tons of things to learn. I think the sasquatch community will really take off after that. There will be an influx of new members to sites like this, at least initially, although it is likely to taper off rather quickly as well. It is hard to know the future of bigfoot with any certainty, but I think these hypotheses are likely to proven at least partially accurate.