When Existence Is Proven, Then What?

TedSallis

Enthusiasts cannot go out and start a Grizzly study. It will be the same with the Sasquatch. However, those with experience and knowledge will be recruited to get the new studies on track. Any "cause" will make it profitable to kill them. It will takes years of study to understand and estimate populations. Hopefully there will be a moratorium on "causes" in the meantime.

BFF Patron

The BF population density thing will be a tough one.      When you have a fairly intelligent creature that does not want to be found you have a challenge.       I wish I could take you all for a ride over Skamania County Washington in my airplane.    You would see how easy it would be to hide thousands of BF there without detection.   From the ground you have no idea how  inaccessible  by road, logging road, trail or whatever means of human travel territory there is.   From ground on the roads you get a false sense of access and expect the next road to be just over the ridge from you.   Not the case.      From the air you can see hundreds of square miles of forest unbroken by any sign of man.   Even the most ardent hiker can just nibble at the edges of that wilderness but not have real access.    I would think there are places where us European emigrants have never set foot just because we have not been on this continent long enough to explore them.       I think the limit to BF population there is food supply, not cover.   Randy  

From the air you can see hundreds of square miles of forest unbroken by any sign of man.

OK, your task is to show me one spot 200 square miles in Skamania county, unbroken by man.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Skamania+County/@45.8348746,-121.8810707,164909m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x5496f44e93dbcd33:0xbfe1a82df5165678

Edited by Drew

My biggest quandary would be what to say to the bigfoot skeptics.  More than anything else, they're the reason we don't know yet.

I would say that those who claim to have proof but refuse to share it are the reason we don't know yet.  Also, I think you meant to say scoftics - skepticism is a good thing. 

There is nothing to apologize for. You've never seen one and anecdotal evidence doesn't do it for you......I get it, I have many friends like you.

With that said with a discovery? We would all get left in the dust........the amateurs would get shoved aside, and scientists would flock to the subject.

Most amateurs would get shoved aside, until Dr So-n-so couldn't find hide nor hair of a BF and brings in the amateurs as consultants. 

It would be pretty cool.  But the evidence has pretty much convinced me, so it wouldn't necessarily rock my world.

My biggest quandary would be what to say to the bigfoot skeptics.  More than anything else, they're the reason we don't know yet.

I had no idea I was so powerful

BFF Patron

Drew:   Did I say that was continuous or that I was talking only about Skamania County?    I did not.    I feel sorry for someone that needs Google earth to explore the world.     

• Upvote 2

Um, yes you did.

I wish I could take you all for a ride over Skamania County Washington in my airplane.    You would see how easy it would be to hide thousands of BF there without detection.   From the ground you have no idea how  inaccessible  by road, logging road, trail or whatever means of human travel territory there is.   From ground on the roads you get a false sense of access and expect the next road to be just over the ridge from you.   Not the case.      From the air you can see hundreds of square miles of forest unbroken by any sign of man.

Not in Washington, but an interesting article.

http://www.listosaur.com/travel/top-10-remote-areas-in-the-contiguous-united-states/

"Total, utter desolation can be found in many spots around the world: Antarctica, many deserts, Siberia, Pacific islands. Yet even in the United States, you can find some very remote spots, far from the gas stations, Walmarts, and interstate highways that dot the landscape. Here are the top 10 most remote places in the contiguous United States, based on U.S. Census reports, anecdotal evidence, published reports, maps and my own personal travels. While it would be almost impossible to pick the exact GPS coordinates of the most remote spot within these areas, these general regions provide plenty of opportunity to get away from it all. You can visit all of these no-man’s lands, but be forewarned — if something goes wrong, you are on your own, with help hours or even days away."

Guest Darrell

Don't hold your breath. Been waiting 40 yrs for that to happen and it hasn't yet. I have no doubt bigfoot will never be found.

and this:

http://www.davickservices.com/america's_100_lonliest_counties.htm

Isolated, secluded, steeped in history and rich in tradition --  these counties are the least populated and most isolated places in America. The people who live in these remote, isolated places enjoy a lifestyle and individual freedoms that many thought vanished in the United States long ago.

@Darrel and Drew - 

Just b/c a road cuts through a wilderness area doesn't mean that it is teeming with people.

I'm curious, have either of you been out to the PNW at all?

I mean, really out, backcountry n'all.

If not, perhaps you need to get grounded on the vastness of the wilderness out there.

Unless of course you feel that every BLM road teems with lines and lines of tourists, camera at the ready, and tromping up and down the poison oak infested hillsides.  (please correct me if I'm wrong)

It would be over for me, I could finally move on to something else.

It would be awesome going to the zoo to see it. I'm sure our National zoo in DC would be the first to get one. Can't wait!

I'd think that they would wither and die in a zoo..

not to mention i wouldn't go to DC for anything.

Another thing that would almost certainly happen would be a certain amount of panic in the general public, now armed with the knowledge that there is definitely a huge, incredibly strong, fast (and probably smart) hominid prowling the woods in which they hike, hunt and explore.  I don't think any of us can underestimate the sense of dread that would accompany the discovery, alongside all the attendant wonder.

I have seen people totally lose it here on the beach when I would reel in a 6 foot shark..

I mean go completely off the chain.. I watched a woman drop her camcorder in the ocean and run out into the surf to grab her kid by the head and drag him out of the water...

Then when she could speak...   asked in a shocked monotone...  "there are sharks here?"  I said..  "It is the ocean lady"

I'm thinking a new skit on SNL would be coming out.. something akin to "Landshark".. LOL

I'm responding, Squatchy McSquatch, so I'm in on the PMP as soon as one is proven. I'm doing my bit to get that proof, here in SW British Columbia, in fact I'll be out looking tomorrow. It's a great way to enjoy one of the greatest places on this planet, and if I'm quick enough this time around, I might even collect your proof, as well as your bet.

South Florida checking in...

If you've ever had a good night's sleep on the ground in grizzly country, this should not be a problem for you. Even less so than that.  Really, much less.

Had many..  closest I came to being killed in grizzly country was when an Elk stumbled into my tent at 0-dark thirty..

Yeah there were several..  moving at night.. down a trail.

strange but it happened..  along the bear creek outside Libby Montana.