Sw Wa Field Work

SWWASAS

Thanks for the word of warning. Never seen that construction method before. Usually it's the chip coat with the tar and gravel. Which gets stuck all over your car for a week or so after the construction. Don't plan on heading out that way though. Haven't really had time to get out at all. I have a construction project of my own at home right now that is keeping me pretty busy. Will be heading down to Hopsquatch this weekend though.

Interesting link on the skunk cabbage. I've seen where some animals have been eating it, elk if I remember right. I wonder what it does to their mouths? Maybe it was a one time try it but never again! ;-)

• 1 month later...
BFF Patron

In the field today since the weather got out of the 90s.    In State forest near Gifford Pinchot.      Had a bit of excitement when I seem to have flushed a deer in a thicket.     Did not see the deer but the noise was characteristic of a deer thrashing to get away.    They are not particularly bright in that if it just lay there and watched me walk by, I would have never known it was there.    Got some skunky smell but since it was near a small creek think it likely some ripe skunk cabbage.     Skeptics take note,  at least with some of us every sound and smell is not BF.    Conditions are so dry that it was difficult to even see hooved animal tracks on the game trails.   Will be glad when we get some rain and I can expect to find footprints again to know what is moving around.      Watched a hawk soaring along the ridge line.     It never had to move its wings and just cruised along using the air rising up the ridge to soar.     Made me wish I had some means to soar silently like that looking down.   

It would be great to soar and observe without the need for fuel or batteries. And not worry about the vagaries of the wind.

BFF Patron

One always has to worry about the vagaries of the wind when you fly in the mountains.       It is second nature to the raptors and large scavengers.    I did wish I had a drone to fly around the area and do some recon.   If I could only have seen what the hawk was seeing.    Wonder if you could train a hawk to find and fly over BF carrying a small camera? 

Well they do train hawks and falcons to hunt. But I don't know how you would train them to hunt BF. Unless you used someone in a Ghillie Suit to do so. :)

BFF Patron

I think we have discussed crow and ravine behavior before.    They seem to find me in the woods, fly in circles overhead, caw a few times, then fly off.    I don't know if they think I am some predator that is going to make a kill and leave some leftovers for them or if they have some kind of symbiotic relationship with BF or other predators to locate potential kills with the same end result.      I see that same behavior very frequently.     I just have the feeling they are locating me for something else.   

BFF Patron

Are you sure they are crows and not Ravens?   Both are very curious and will go out of their way to investigate sounds.   The two have a strange relationship too, I once had a Raven buzz the local crows at rooftop level circle the house and take off with a murder of crows in chase.  Very bizarre behavior and couldn't quite figure out what it was all about.  Had a witness to it as we were doing treework around the house.  

BFF Patron

I cannot tell them apart at an overflight distance.    So it could be either.      Quite frankly I enjoy their attitude and how they behave.    Have you heard about the little girl in Seattle that has a game going where they find and bring her trinkets in exchange for her feeding them?    They have brought her earrings and other lost items like jewelry that humans would be interested in.     That shows some intelligence for a bird.   Something with that kind of intelligence could very well have some sort of service rendered exchange relationship with predators including BF.       

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

I was up last week camping on Hood Canal. I watched a raven come into the area, he seemed to come in just to antagonize the crows. The chase was on, I've watched this many times. Check this video out on crow intelligence

• Upvote 2

As a hunter I know ravens keep track of what or who is in the woods. I've had them fly in, check me out and fly off, then do the same thing elsewhere. I'm always curious about what is at the other end of their flight, prey or another predator. Ravens are usually alone or in pairs in the fall. Whereas crows are in flocks, murders, as bipedalist mentioned.

BFF Patron

Notice how it pulled up the string to get the shorter stick and used its foot to hold the string and gradually bring up the stick?     When it was hopping around you could just see it trying to figure out the solution to the problems.    I wonder what the relative intelligence of crows and ravens are?    Anyone venture a guess?     Like I said they both seem to be birds with an attitude.    I enjoy it and have been known to caw back at them.   

BFF Patron

Visibility at my house is less than a mile due to forest fire smoke.    Nearest blaze I know about is near Mt Adams.    Strong East winds today.   The animals must be freaking out in the forest.