Ape Canyon Cabin Found?

Guest crabshack

BFF Patron

Dogs have a receptive vocabulary, moot point.  https://www.thedodo.com/worlds-smartest-dog-chaser-752002926.html

It is when they start talking back that is the gotcha.  But now BF can already do that, naturally. 

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

Now you got me.   I have admitted on this forum that I talk to BF.   They have yet to say anything intelligent in return.  

Four of us just got back from 3 days on the Mountain with the Fall AC field work. Got the perimeter of the cabin much better defined. Metal detector found a bunch of metal in a tree near the cabin (=/- 55" Douglas Fir). The metal was deeply buried, so who knows what it is. The signals were somewhat at the base of the tree and more about 7 feet above ground. Strange.

The mine location was investigated. I feel that we may have it pinned down, although there is no opening in the rock wall, except for a small 8" diameter hole, that seems to blow, indicating a void behind it. I'm thinking that the mine collapsed on its own or with earthquakes from the eruption. There is no opening this up, even if it were legal. The rocks are bigger than a volkwagen. I have an interview planned next month with a man who visited the mine in the early 1970's. Hopefully he can verify the mine location for us

marc

• Upvote 1

Marc,

Thanks for joining the BF forum and posting your thoughtful comments here.

Is the location of the cabin site secret?  Are you going to reveal that in upcoming book or DVD?

Forgive me if it has been posted already, but I don't recall seen exact location posted before.

If the location is not secret, can you post the GPS coordinates so that we can have an idea of where it is relative to AC Trail and Ape Canyon?

If you don't want to reveal exact location, can you just post a map of the Mt. St. Helens area with a generic rounded/shaded area showing the relevant area and its relationship to Spirit Lake, AC Trail, and Ape Canyon.

Thanks,

Explorer

Thanks Explorer,

I so sorry, but the cabin and mine area are is pretty sensitive archaeologically and just plain dangerous to get to so that I can't reveal its location in a broadcast format. The area would get run over and, frankly, I think someone would get really hurt. All I can say is that it is, in fact, in Ape Canyon.

I say that because there was one piece of documentation that pointed to the idea that the cabin was actually in the next canyon to the South. However, it was a small lead and proved to not be the case.

marc

• Upvote 1

Four of us just got back from 3 days on the Mountain with the Fall AC field work. Got the perimeter of the cabin much better defined. Metal detector found a bunch of metal in a tree near the cabin (=/- 55" Douglas Fir). The metal was deeply buried, so who knows what it is. The signals were somewhat at the base of the tree and more about 7 feet above ground. Strange.

The mine location was investigated. I feel that we may have it pinned down, although there is no opening in the rock wall, except for a small 8" diameter hole, that seems to blow, indicating a void behind it. I'm thinking that the mine collapsed on its own or with earthquakes from the eruption. There is no opening this up, even if it were legal. The rocks are bigger than a volkwagen. I have an interview planned next month with a man who visited the mine in the early 1970's. Hopefully he can verify the mine location for us

marc

Nice going Marc!

t.

Thanks T. Have one more "work" trip up there, probably in spring as snows are about to hit. Still need to survey the site to produce a map of cabin, mine, spring, etc. locations. Probably 3 to 4 day project. More as it comes.

marc

Marc,

Thanks for letting us know that the cabin was actually in Ape Canyon.

That is what was more important for me to know rather than exact coordinates.

Does the original story provide details on how the BF's got to the location? Did the Bigfoots have to free climb that canyon or did they just come from above?

Given the climbing report posted above, it is hard to imagine humans or BF free climbing that canyon.

When the BF lefts the scene, which way did they go? Up or down AC?

here are a couple google earth pictures of ape canyon, it shows how narrow the canyon is at the top. The last picture shows the narrow canyon opening up, still very rugged.

Thanks again Marc! for your search.

post-3060-0-02478900-1413160711_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-62176500-1413160769_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-27347400-1413160880_thumb.jp

Let me preface this by saying that I;m married to the best woman in the world. I free-climbed my search down to the cabin the first 3 or 4 times. This last trip I was doing some stupid stuff as well. Each time that I come home and start in on some parts of the trip, Kathryn says, "I don't want to hear about it". She's great.

That said, the Google Earth images give an almost surrealistic impression of how dangerous this area is. It's weird, in that the photos make it look more steep than it is, but it feels more dangerous than the photos can convey.

Nonetheless, EXPLORER brings up an excellent question that I really never did consider before. From what direction did they come?

The initial encounter was just before the 4th of July. This is the famous part of the story where Marion Smith and Fred Beck were going to the spring and saw the creature across the draw. Fred took 3 shots, skinning the bark off the cedar tree, behind which the creature was peaking out. Immediately after, they went to the shot location, found no creature, nor blood, nor hair. They looked up and saw the creature receding from them up the hill.

I'm going to put this together with the current site recon. The cabin is to the South of the spring. Smith and Beck were going North from the cabin, when the encountered the creature. This means that the creature spied them from the North and then headed North after being shot at.

The two encounters that Leroy Smith had indicated that he was approaching the cabin from the spring, the creature appeared, the creature was loaded with lead and then receded back into the bushes.The narrative indicated that from West to East it was cabin, Leroy, big Mountain Devil. The creature receding back in to the bush shows that it was headed East. 

The BIG attack of Thursday night, July 10th, I have no idea. The miners could only give an account of what they saw out of their tiny "look-out" hole, being the log chinking that was knocked out of the cabin wall. I'm not sure, but I think that this was that North side of the cabin that they were looking out of. The only photo of this hole is from the Oregonian photo. Presuming that this photo was not "reversed", the background indicated that we are looking South. Not sure. Anyway, the narrative of the Thursday attack gives no indication of what direction the creatures came from or where they went to. However, the narrative of the following Friday morning tells us where the miners headed. That was outta there and never looking back!

BFF Patron

The whole area changed with the 1980 eruption.    The lahar and treeless areas to the South of Ape Canyon did not exist in it's present form.   They were covered by forest.   Actually it is not in the same form than it was right after the 1980 eruption.   There was not any vegetation on the whole thing then.   Now it is rapidly growing back.    In 10 years it will be mostly hidden by regrowth especially at the lower elevations.    On the other side of the Ape Canyon road (East side) below the trail parking lot, it is regrowing even more rapidly because of less snow load in the winter.    Evidence of the lahar flow there is rapidly being covered by vegetation.      Before the eruption the tree line extended much further up the mountain and forested areas covered most of the bare areas in the picture both North and South of Ape Canyon.    The ridge above and West of Ape Canyon, the forested area was spared from the lahar flow by topography so the top portions of that that are still forested and are reflective of the forest cover and tree line before the 1980 eruption.    So BF could have approached the cabin from any direction prior to 1980 since other than the stream beds it was forested in every direction at that time.     SInce I have found footprint evidence South of the canyon in the lahar, I think habit and tradition are still at play and some evidence exists of movements or migrations from the lower elevations to the South.    That makes sense because of the snow cover in the Ape Canyon area in the winter.    If BF are in the area much, they probably move South in the winter, to avoid some of the snow at higher elevations.     In the summer I think they like the higher elevations because it is cooler.   If I wore a fur suit year round I would hang out where it was cooler in the summer.    

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Looks like this coming Sundays Sasquatch Chronicles / Bigfoot Hotspot radio show is on this subject

9fc4474f-79c0-4f03-8a15-bd8d2866d208_157
SC EP:54 Ape Canyon Sasquatch Attacks!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bigfoothotspot/2014/10/13/sc-ep54-ape-canyon-sasquatch-attacks

Listened to it today, Wes does a great job telling stories, I don't think it was as detailed as other accounts, but it is cool that the story lives on, 90 years later...!

Yes! I caught it too. It feels good. Honestly, when I started on this project, the Ape Canyon story was just on the threshold of being canned in to the circular file of "tall-tale" and "legend", I think; perhaps to the point where some even questioned if there actually was a cabin, or a mine, much less an historic event. I was asked 2 or 3 years ago why I was doing this. Somewhat defensive, I asked why were we Americans preserving Monticello, or Italians preserving Pompeli? I know it's a little over the top, but these physical artifacts connect us with very real events. Without this physical connection, we humans tend to forget our heritage. In this case, it was a very real event that occurred involving very real humans only 90 years ago. The descendants of the miners still live with the repercussions today in one way or another.

marc