Want To Take Pictures On Our National Forests?

SWWASAS

Wilderness designation is just one classifications of public land. here is a link to how a wilderness area is designated.

http://www.wilderness.net/nwps/designation

I will continue to post pictures on forums I have taken as a recreational user of our public land, I am not  worried about getting a permit for photography of the wilderness area. I doubt if the national wilderness police will come knocking on my door if I do. LOL!

Sunflower I understand what you say about the trash. In our area there is a very large and ecologically diverse granite outcrop, with a, or what once was a beautiful stream that ran over it. This area was/is on some sort of national list because of certain plants/little creatures that only lived in a few places this being one, and because from the top of the rock intrusion to the bottom were/are habitats ranging from desert to temperature forest and even others. It was always a popular spot for children splashing in the clean cold waters in summer, picnics, church services in a natural kinda amphitheater and sliding down the slick water covered rocks for families, and a popular spot for teenagers to hangout and drink beer and be teenagers on weekends. It also was on some Science trail list where students from near and far,and geologist from around the world would come study the rocks and ecology. In college, we as a Ecology class set up stations ourselves and hosted and taught children from many local schools as part of our course study. The area is privately owned, but the owners allowed all this activity out of the goodness of their hearts and their appreciation of nature as well. All was good, until the 1980's.  Apparently something changed in the universe that caused the teenagers and other people to become incapable of using the area without leaving trash, glass broken bottles everywhere, birth control measures, hypodermic needles, and all manner of human waste lying on the bare rocks and in the stream. The areas accessed easily by the public were completely trashed, over and over again, the cross at the amp was torn down,and partially burnt I think, and no one even knows how the delicate biomass on the rocks fared. The owner was forced to put fences gates and a little local treasure was ruined for everyone. The last time I drove through I saw dirty pampers in the stream. I have very low opinion of the generation that grew to pseudo-adulthood in the early eighties, at least those around there, who were somehow incapable of doing what previous teenagers and people had managed to do for over a hundred years prior, myself included, who had been able to enjoy, use, even raise a little 'heck' on the rocks without trashing it, polluting it, or poisioning it. On a different tangent, I am amazed at how different modern people can be than all the others who have come before them, and not in a good way, so maybe the new rules are made for a new generation?  I don't think so. I think it may be just the desire to control things moreso. My argument would be the people that may be affected are probably the group that already supports the environment through their activities and taxes and permits and licenses fees. Like you and I and those who run outdoor services who support and love our outdoors and put our money where our mouth monetarily when we can, and those who volunteer to clean up our rivers, lake, stream and woods. I think the government should leave things pretty much as they are,, and if a problem of commercial interests trashing our outdoors arises, to punish those offenders under existing laws and regulations.

BFF Patron

Hairyman there are 44 biosphere reserves that I know of. All of our national forests are part of this under UNESCO. The UN controls what we can and cannot do with our forests.

Some national parks may be biosphere reserves and maybe wilderness within national forests or parks but I DOUBT significant parts of most national forests (US anyway) are so designated with UNESCO.  If you can document otherwise please inform. National Parks in the U.S. (Dept. of Interior; 30 of 47 sites in the Biospheres reserve in the US fall under this dept.) and U.S. National Forests (USDA Forest Service; 17 of 47 or less at most)  are two different animals regulated by differing cabinet level Departments in most instances.  I see that some Preserves, National Monuments, Recreation Areas and Seashores are included in the Biospheres program here in the U.S. though.  There are many patchwork quilts of reserves that are conglomerations of state, federal management and even some private reserves such as Grandfather Mtn. Inc. in NC.  

Edited by bipedalist

Sharing some personal photos with others on a forum is not a commercial venture surely?

Who knew that growing a few acres of wheat for your own consumption was considered Interstate Commerce because it could in theory impact the global price of wheat......

BFF Patron

I think I know why they do not teach Jefferson in school any more.    We are past the point where Jefferson thought that the populous would rise up against the government.    Permits to take a picture?  He and other founders of this country are likely spinning in their graves.     The word sheeple comes to mind.  "Heavy Sigh!   Fade to black." 

• Upvote 1

The National Parks within the U.S. that are Biosphere Reserves are:

Big Bend,  Channel Islands,  Congaree,  Denali, Dry Tortuga,  El Yunque,  Everglades,  Glacier Bay,  Glacier,  Great Smoky Mountains,  Isle Royale,  Kings Canyon,

Land Between the Lakes,  Mammoth Cave,  Olympic,  Rocky Mountain,  Sequoia,  Virgin Islands and Yellowstone...19 Nat'l Parks if I counted correctly.  I don't know how much of each Bio-Resv. are considered the "core" portion - the most protected.