Using Game Cams As An Excuse For No Existance

Painthorse

Painthorse, I have problems with my HD Bushnell doing like what you show in those two photos above. When the light level drops below a certain point, even though it is still daytime it switches to black and white infrared mode. That is probably an issue with where the light sensors are set in the factory software. Although that last picture almost looks like a special effects sepia pictures, with a combination of b & w and color.

I've never had problems with total white screens but have had problems with total blackouts. Usually if a flash doesn't fire, be it infrared or white you get something. But it's like either the shutter didn't trigger or something covered the lens completely, total blackness.

Edited by BigTreeWalker

BTW, Yup, the black outs also. I used to blame everything on low battery juice, then started being sure that I changed the batteries weekly, still had all of the above issues. It does make total sense about what you wrote about the pics I posted with the light being a factor!

http://woodape.org/index.php/about-bigfoot/articles/229-camera-test

Not for Reconyx HC600 according to this study.  I think the smell of the plastic is the interest to bears, metal bear boxes or not.  As for deer looking into the shutter at digital capture I say some kind of switching noises are at work but perhaps they are not ultrasound or infrasound.  This study infers there is nothing though with reconyx noise boxes. 

Good info.

"Results

On 19 February 2013, following the first round of tests, Dr. Lenhardt notified us that the two piezo sensors with wide frequency responses detected no ultrasound and added, “We are not picking up any very low frequencies either.â€

On 27 February 2013, Dr. Lenhardt relayed his final results after assessing the camera again. “There is no ultrasound. The camera operation is very low level. I can’t imagine sound is causing avoidance.â€

After measurements from testing indicating no detectable levels of either low frequency (infrasound) or high frequency (ultrasound) sound waves, we must conclude that sound frequencies that are undetectable to humans are not responsible for the seeming avoidance of our game cameras by any animal species, including the North American wood ape."

Painthorse, I have problems with my HD Bushnell doing like what you show in those two photos above. When the light level drops below a certain point, even though it is still daytime it switches to black and white infrared mode. That is probably an issue with where the light sensors are set in the factory software. Although that last picture almost looks like a special effects sepia pictures, with a combination of b & w and color.

I've never had problems with total white screens but have had problems with total blackouts. Usually if a flash doesn't fire, be it infrared or white you get something. But it's like either the shutter didn't trigger or something covered the lens completely, total blackness.

I also use Bushnell cameras that are less than 2 years old. I conducted an experiment to see if our two small dogs noticed when I turned the camera on indoors.  I wanted to see if noise from the camera would alert the dogs.  One dog woke up, the other slept through it.  The odd thing was the photos it took were almost completely white.  

I was standing in a hallway with little natural light pointing the camera into a room with light coming in from one east facing window that had a porch roof on the outside.  This was a little before 8:00 a.m.  I would say the light resembled conditions around sunset.   Based on this test, I would say the white photo is the camera trying to adjust to the low lighting.

post-18569-0-57471700-1436204840_thumb.j

On the Bushnells the IR flash is what is whiting out the pictures with available light also present. That can be adjusted to low, medium or high. The rub there is that when it is completely dark the flash doesn't light up the area very well if on low. If on high you get the whiteout problem when there is other light in the area.

Stealhcams have the same problem. If it's set up in an area with light and shadow in the mornings or evenings it will also whiteout occasionally.

As for animals noticing the cameras. I have lots of photos of them looking directly at the camera. And bears, they know the cameras are there even in the daylight. One of my most recent videos last month the camera tripped and started recording video. I could hear a snuffling noise. Then a bear walked around in front of the camera and away. That was in the late afternoon. So the bear was checking out the camera while it was idle and not doing anything.