What's The Deal With Skeptics?

MNskeptic

What keeps me interested is (a) what the evidence points to and ( b )  what the people pointing resolutely away from the evidence point to.  It is far far more interesting than anything psychological some scoffers are saying is going on here.  I mean, FAR more interesting.

But (a) is a lot more interesting than ( b ) by far, so what I am seeing in ( b ) is the opportunity to observe a modern shame in action.  I mean, a real shame.  I feel sorry for ( b ).  It's not only stagnating the dialogue, it's missing out on pretty much all the fun.

Edited by DWA

Says a lot about a person who gets on a forum about a creature they say doesn't exist.

How so? Can't someone be interested in a creature that they feel doesn't exist?

So, we should run off anyone that doesn't tow the proponent line? I don't think so.

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

About the BFF - Is it right for you?

The BFF is an independent forum dedicated to the discussion of the Bigfoot phenomenon. While the Forum is independent, it is owned and operated by the Centre for Fortean Zoology which is not a Bigfoot research organization and has no official ties to any Bigfoot organization.

The CFZ (including the BFF) has no official stance on any single aspect of the Bigfoot debate. The CFZ does not 'believe' that Bigfoot exists, or 'believe' that it does not exist, but that the evidence makes it worthy of discussion and further investigation. The members and Moderators may take a different view. That is entirely up to the individuals concerned. That being said, and while it is very difficult to pin any one opinion on a site with members as diverse as ours, there are some generalizations that can be made regarding the feeling of the board (assuming Bigfoot exists):

Bigfoot are probably flesh and blood animals, albeit very intelligent and stealthy ones. Bigfoot are unlikely to be inter-dimensional, of another world, shape shifting, can disappear, or have any other abilities that may be considered paranormal. If you feel they are any of these things, you're still very welcome to participate, but don't expect to find many in your camp.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. On the BFF we accept very little at face value. We may have a tendency to over-analyze claims and be more skeptical than some other forums dedicated to this topic, but we think that is preferable to the alternative.

Skeptics welcome! Assuming you don't come in with preconceived and immovable notions regarding Bigfoot and those who discuss the phenomenon, you'll find a spirited and thought-provoking debate waiting for you here. But keep in mind, this is a Bigfoot forum. You must accept the proponents point of view if you expect yours to be considered. This is by nature a “Bigfoot House†and is intended to foster intelligent discussion of the subject. This is not “The Anti-Bigfoot Forumâ€.

It seems to me that there's blame to go around from both sides. The proponents make some pretty outlandish claims without offering substantiating evidence, while the skeptics (hardline) are immovable in their stance.

It says right in our statement - On the BFF we accept very little at face value. We may have a tendency to over-analyze claims and be more skeptical than some other forums dedicated to this topic, but we think that is preferable to the alternative.

So, I find that the skeptical are an important way to keep the topic grounded, even if the proponents feel uncomfortable being questioned. Of course, the holy grail would be for evidence to be presented to shut up those that are hardline skeptics. Claims alone won't get it done.