Waiting Out Sasquatch's Extinction?

hiflier

I just can't see extinction being a possibility for these animals. The only thing, I can think of, that would cause populations to dwindle, would be some kind of human disease, such as chicken pox. Otherwise, BF should be thriving.

I have never read or heard of a large extermination event having taken place on this continent. I suppose it's possible these creatures were extremely rare to begin with and, as a result, have found it difficult to find mates and reproduce. However, given the amount of sightings, coupled with the geographic diversity of sighting reports, as well as other non-anecdotal evidence, I think its safe to assume the population is stable and, in my opinion, rapidly expanding.

Of course, since Bigfoot have not been officially discovered and recognized, this is all conjecture. However, given the accepted beliefs and parameters of their existance, it stands to reason they are thriving and will continue to do so.

^^^

Good post Cisco! As some point I would like to create simple graph bar chart of the few thousand reports I read, from information taken from a spreadsheet illustrating what I see. When reviewing Bigfoot reports solely by year there is an obvious dramatic spike from early 1960s through 2000s. When comparing that present against the late 1800s its mind boggling. From the period of 1800s through the mid- 1920s the activity guided by reported encounters are little greater than a flat line minus a small jumps along the way.

If I should find some extra time to do this and compress it small enough to read I just my do that at some point. I think it would change some perspectives here on any question whether these animals are thriving or disappearing.

Edited by Gumshoeye

Guest mariner

Gumshoeye,

Given the data base BFRO must have AND the recent television shows looking for Bigfoot, I feel that there is a conflict of interest there somewhere. Choice news and reports would be to the BFRO advantage, no question. The television show is to make money, which I assume, is to support the BFRO in it's research and documentation.

Any time there are questions there are usually answers - not always the ones we would like to hear.

The above being said, I think that the BFRO has done a tremendous job and cannot blame them for the way that they generate income. My original comment was not a criticism, but more of a cynical observation - if that makes any sense. Most everyone else has to fund their research personally and usually without too many resources. I guess it is the "making money from it" that I find disturbing.

Hope that explains why I am a little cynical over some of what is happening.

As for Bigfoot - I am all ears. I am in no position to do much (age 70 with bad knees), so really cannot comment other than I thoroughly enjoy reading other peoples experiences - wish I was 30 years younger and knew what I know now. I lived for eighteen years, just 30 mins. drive from Harrison Hot Springs in BC and didn't know about the Bigfoot connection :o  Have also spent many weeks camping in and around Washington and Oregon states - again, totally oblivious to what has happened over the years.

Cheers

Gumshoeye,

Given the data base BFRO must have AND the recent television shows looking for Bigfoot, I feel that there is a conflict of interest there somewhere. Choice news and reports would be to the BFRO advantage, no question. The television show is to make money, which I assume, is to support the BFRO in it's research and documentation.

Any time there are questions there are usually answers - not always the ones we would like to hear.

The above being said, I think that the BFRO has done a tremendous job and cannot blame them for the way that they generate income. My original comment was not a criticism, but more of a cynical observation - if that makes any sense. Most everyone else has to fund their research personally and usually without too many resources. I guess it is the "making money from it" that I find disturbing.

Hope that explains why I am a little cynical over some of what is happening.

As for Bigfoot - I am all ears. I am in no position to do much (age 70 with bad knees), so really cannot comment other than I thoroughly enjoy reading other peoples experiences - wish I was 30 years younger and knew what I know now. I lived for eighteen years, just 30 mins. drive from Harrison Hot Springs in BC and didn't know about the Bigfoot connection :o  Have also spent many weeks camping in and around Washington and Oregon states - again, totally oblivious to what has happened over the years.

Cheers

Cheers right back at you Mariner! Don’t let age fool you; you’re 18, 25, 33, 40 or 50 anytime you close your eyes believe it. You grab a book and let your mind take you anywhere in or out of this world. I retired two years ago; I probably could have stayed longer but I ran with my retirement for a variety of reasons. Pick up a newspaper watch the news listen to the radio, those are the things I had to consider. Of course I think about the job, the people, and yes the money too, but that's in the past and this is now. The memories remain an inescapable part of me until I die.

You see … I’m not a betting man but sooner or later luck runs out, the dice rolls everywhere but where you expect it. It was taking a physical toll on my body already scarred and racked with mended bones. Before I retired, I sought out and spoke with retired guys and gals from the job, asking them what and how and they dealt with separation from something you’ve done all your adult life. Their answer to me was always unanimous, they always miss it. They miss their youth, the job and friends and most importantly some guys in their 80s told me they relive their lives somewhat in their dreams. For them it’s the best of both worlds and they couldn’t be happier. It’s funny because immersing myself in a book was how I dealt with feelings of loneliness and homesick when I was a kid overseas in the military.  

There are lot’s BFRO critics as you pointed out, but good or bad they continue to be a huge clearinghouse of Bigfoot happenings where people go for informational purposes. There are others but as not as large or well-known or even as organized as BFRO in my opinion.    

Edited by Gumshoeye

• 1 month later...
Guest OntarioSquatch

The assumption that they are low in numbers due to a lack of video and proof is a faulty one. There are credible reports of this animal coming from all across the continent. I'd imagine it would be listed as an endangered species though, if it were to be proven to exist.

It would be interesting to learn of their population dynamics and position in the ecology of pleistocene north america, when there were considerably more large predators as well as a variety of megafauna herbivores. If their numbers were limited due to greater competition for resources, and if they took over number of new niches as the majority of the megafauna perished, then one might presume their ability to adapt has been well honed, and that a shifting environment is not as great a threat as it is to some other species. Thanks to a lacking fossil record, we may never know this phase of their development, but it would seem a likely course for them to have followed. One might wonder if they practiced group hunting methods, as reported in modern accounts , with the large herbivores, collectively hunting prey animals much larger than themselves, just as we did back in the day?

In light of cognative adaptiblity(still havent caught one, supposedly) and the explosive rebounds of current viable prey species, there seems little reason to assume a population decline is occuring, especially when the populations of most other large predators are still greatly reduced as a result of our earlier eradication programs.

The assumption that they are low in numbers due to a lack of video and proof is a faulty one. There are credible reports of this animal coming from all across the continent. I'd imagine it would be listed as an endangered species though, if it were to be proven to exist.

I think they'd certainly be protected, but proven endangered would be another story. I do think certain groups of researchers can put themselves within a few hundred yards of one routinely, and this couldn't be done if these creatures were largely nomadic and rare. Of coarse, these researchers still have to confirm through sightings and evidence that they can do this without the hoax cloud forming overhead.

What is needed is a proven method of making contact with the species and that would later provide data on population estimates. If the populations were low, even a proven method would fail most of the time, and if the populations were high and the species was just too reclusive you might see similar results. I view them as secretive stealthy night stalkers that don't like to give themselves away too often, at least that's how they come off here in the south to me, but other groups seem to have more aggressive activity at times. Maybe that's in their methods but as long as that produces something it can be affirming to those involved.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron

^ I tend to agree with Southernyahoo.   There are some that are saying they communicate with sasquatch and are invited to a "calling to council"  and such where they see 18 sasquatch and one giving birth to twins so there must be some way to access the key to the numbers.  Has someone asked them at their roundezvous?