Trouble In Grassman's Paradise

hiflier

Hello All,

Let me start this off by saying I am a proponebt for Sasquatch;s existence. But being a propenet has responsibilities as I think the burden of proof resides squarely in the propenents camp. In this current atmosphere there has been mush said and debated about DNA testing along with it's hopes and failures in proving an extant North American hominid's reality. That idea is only where this story begins.

In reading through reports in John Green's Sasquatch database which, thanks to See-Teh-Cah, is now pinned in the "In The Field" board under the "Applied Scientific Methods" title I ran across this li'l tid bit:

Report ID # 992565:

"Monthly Bigfoot Report, Aug. 1996, Don Keating quoting Jeramiah, Canonsburg, PA, and family."

"Jeremiah and family had several unusual sasquatch encounters. Jeremiah interviewed on video about sighting in late summer, 1991. He also had a cast of a 14-inch footprint and gave Don Keating some coarse black hairs collected off the top strand of a 4-foot barbed wire fence."

What was it about this particular report you might ask. Like I said- DNA. Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum in a 2011 interview article put out a general request for footprints casts. In 2014 he put out a general request for hair samples. It was a good opportunity for the "coarse black hairs" in the report to perhaps get analysed? Why this set of hairs and not others I ran across? Because of who had them. Don Keating. So got to work to running down those hair samples.

For twenty years Don Keating organized and ran the well known and well attended Ohio Bigfoot Conference. Everyone who was anyone knew him. He was a pretty heavy hitter. He was also a long time Bigfoot investigator; longer than he ran the Conference. If anyone could be relied on for information and possible data regarding a Sasquatch like Creature in the Eastern Ohio are it would be him. His high profile and connections would assure that those hair samples got to the head of the line and coming from him personally could almost guarantee the chain of custody on the samples. His status within the Community was undeniable. So I looked him up.

I found out that he had had a web site that issued monthly newsletters as the database report had said. But it was no longer on line. After further research I discovered his history with the Conference and that in 2012 he had turned the conference over to a successor handpicked by himself: Marc DeWerth. So I emailed Don Keating. This was on May 27, 1014:

"Hello Mr. Keating,

I'm interested in a report I read a while back. It concerns several encounters that a family had with a Sasquatch in Canonsburg, Washington County, PA around 1991. After much searching I've not found anything relating to this report which went on to say that the family involved was subsequently interviewed on video by you.....

Now in the 1990's you had a web site which posted monthly Bigfoot updates but the 1996 report year was not present when I went there and there's no other information of this event on the web. The report however was listed in John Green's database. The report mentioned that there was a 14 inch footprint cast taken from the encounters and some black hairs were given to you that apparently had been retrieved from a four foot tall barbed wire fence. I've been curious about what had happened to the hair sample and cast and was wondering if this would be something you may be able to shed some light on........Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated."

I did get a response..........a month later on June 26, 2014:

"I'm sorry but at this time I can not locate my notes on that case. Moving a good bit does that for ya. Thank you for writing.

Don Keating"

For me the red flags were flying high at this point. I ask you: How does a 25+ year field investigator who may have found some footprints during his tenure, maybe heard some things, and investigated hundreds of reports forget a videotaped interview, recieving casts, AND an actual hair sample from a family who had NUMEROUS unusual encounters not remember such a thing without "notes"?

Mind you there is nothing on the internet anywhere on this. The prestigious Pennsylvania Bigfoot Society never heard of this incident and has nothing on it. They suggested I email the Eastern Ohio Bigfoot Investigation Center, ie, Don Keating's website. There's nothing on the BFRO either. It's only on John Green's database which got it from the only source- Don Keating's now-missing monthly newsletter. For me it started out as a simple inquiry. Not any more. I dug deeper.

I'm going to stop this here to let it sink in some. Because there's more.......

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Dude, you can't do that!

What's on yer mind hiflier?  I appreciate the lengths you go digging into topics like this.

Edited by Cotter

Hello All,

First I need to back some things. Find the Aug 1996 newsletter the listed as the source mentioned JG report ID# 992565:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/ohiosasquatch/ohsi.html

Next, covering some tracks?

http://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2011/04/this-week-on-beyond-edge-radio-bigfoot.html

That listed a radio station Don Keating was going to be on. Find and listen to the segment. Hint, you can't. WHY? It's not there. Even his picture is gone.

On September 15th, 1985 Mr. Keating had his own personal encounter. He saw a light colored creature he estimated to be around 9' tall at only 35 yards away....and under the light of the Full Moon. Look in any Moon Phase database for that date and see what the Moon phase was.

No folks, sorry, it wasn't Full on that night. It was just barely coming off of it's New Moon Phase which means it had set soon after Sun went down. Hours before the "encounter". He went with a group but wasn't with the group when the event occurred. He has another sighting in 1992. Another light colored Sasquatch. When you get time you can go through this:

http://sasquatchsearch.tripod.com/bfvideoanalysis.htm

Edited by hiflier

According to my quick lookup, the moon phase was 3/4....not full...but not a sliver either....

A small point....but a point.

moon21.jpg

Hello All,

A little something to back up the Full Moon thing back in Sept 1985:

https://thebigfooteryenquirer.wordpress.com/tag/don-keating/

I don't make this stuff up folks. Remember this started with a simple report in the JWG database followed by an email inquiry about some hair samples. Little did I know at the time......

You will note though that the date of the above article is April 10th, 2010. It's been 4 1/2 yeqrs since it came out. I've never seen it mentioned on this Forum. There has been some serious digging here too I can assure you. However, I digress.....

So in 2012 Mr. Keating stepped down from being the mover and shaker of the Ohio Bigfoot Conference. He chose a hand picked replacement in Marc DeWerth. Mr. DeWerth is a ling time colleague and fellow field investigator and he and Don did many follow up investigations in and around Newcomerstown, OH and beyond. In fact Mr. DeWerth had his OWN sighting while out on one of those trips. In 1997.

There may actually be a point to all of this, so I'm willing to wait and see. So far all I've got is that you, a previously unknown (am I right?) person to this researcher contacts him, unsolicited, wanting him to explain to you a report/collected evidence from 25 years ago? And the fact that he is not automatically forthcoming is, what, exactly? I'll hang with you man, but I'm seriously out in left field so far. Help me. 

Yes, according the USNO (and why go anywhere else for this information?) it was waxing towards the first quarter only on 9-15-1985...just off the new moon, as you say. The full moon was on the 29th. And, so?     

On September 15th, 1985 Mr. Keating had his own personal encounter. He saw a light colored creature he estimated to be around 9' tall at only 35 yards away....and under the light of the Full Moon. Look in any Moon Phase database for that date and see what the Moon phase was.

Edited by Bonehead74

Hello WSA,

And so....he lied.

In the last 4 1/2 years since it was exposed that the night of his Sept 15, 1985 "sighting" from "35 feet away" under a Full Moon was in fact in error I've not seen one blip of him coming to his own defense. Nor have I seen anyone else, big name or not, come to his defense either. He's on record (on radio) stating the Moon was Full as recently as 2008. Why not? His successor, Marc DeWerth, a long time associate? Nope, not him either. No one stepping forward to talk about his integrity or anything.

He could have just as easily said the hair samples got lost, or were determined to be a bear. Or that he chose to keep the data confidential to protect the family involved. He didn't say he had forgotten about the incident. He said instead that he couldn't "locate my notes on that case".

Edited by hiflier

The extreme lack of information on this one in the Green database had me setting it aside when I first read about on another thread last night.

Of course this is posted in hindsight...

But now its kinda sounding like Keating may have been a hoaxer?? Whatever the outcome, good sleuthing hiflier!

Hello All and especially you WSA,

Here's where it get dicey. 20 years running a conference. Mainstream TV, radio, internet. High profile speaking engagements, boy Scouts, libraries, other venues. All the Speakers we know who presented talks, sold books, all the vendors, Everyone knew him and he knew everyone in return.

My question? Where all this is going? Even if only for the last 4 1/2 years since the "outing"?

WHO ELSE KNEW......and never said squat about it. and why. Hundreds if not thousands over the years have trusted this man. His position and status was commendable. What gives?

One little report. See that DWA? Sure I played the carrot card on the "Proponents" thread. What would you have done? Nevermind, I know the answer already: read the report, if you did, and just move on to the next.

This.....investigation of mine could be a nasty can opener. For that reason I will stop here. I could start in with the famous and not so famous of those who spoke at the OBF Conference over the years but we know who they are. They speak at all of the venues. I'll stop here.

Hello salubrious,

Thank you for the kind words. I tip my hat to you for saying what I have been afraid to say. Yes, he sure looks like a hoaxer. Of all people!!! Not someone we don't know out of nowhere. Don Keating himself. You have to know when I got on this in the beginning I was nervous as all get out. But as the story unfolded I was nearly aghast. Why hasn't this been common knowledge? I have a sense that this goes deeper.

Edited by hiflier