Trouble In Grassman's Paradise

hiflier

Hello All,

Who knows anything about Marc DeWerth? HIS sighting in 1997 occurred while he was with a group investing a report. Don Keating was part of that group as well. Somehow Mr. DeWerth was separated from the group and while separated said he saw a Bigfoot from 75 yards. He had a camcorder at the time but for some "mysterious reason" it malfunctioned.........twice. When Don Keating had his sighting in 1985 he somehow became separated from his group at the time as well. In his 1992 sighting he said he had a camera around his neck and never thought to take a picture. In truth though that is something I think we have all discussed and can all relate to. No harm no foul.

Marc Dewerth, hand picked as successor to the OBF Conference by Mr. Keating, has stated upon his newly appointed position that the OBF Conference would become bigger, with more vendors etc......while IMO never providing so far any answers to the Sasquatch phenom. Just like his predecessor. It's hard to not be sore at these two.

Edited by hiflier

The most powerful human motivator is to look good.

Failing that, the 2nd most powerful motivator is to not look bad.

Seeing a BF? Maybe in some circles that might make you look good, especially if you are at the center of attention already. I 've never heard of Keating before today. But we can be pretty sure that whatever the truth is, simple motivations are behind it.

OK,

I was going to let this ride, but as an active bigfoot enthusiast/amateur investigator in western PA from the mid 1980's til about the mid 2000's, I always considered Mr. Keating less-than reliable, either through designs of his own, or over-enthusiasm, based on claims he made about evidence he had collected. This feeling was shared by a number of my friends and associates, but wasn't something anyone went around talking about. Because of his prominence in the field, and his organizing efforts for the area's bigfooting groups, I think many just let it slide. This is not to said to bash Mr. Keating (I feel everyone is entitled to have their evidence evaluated without bias, and also, that anyone evaluating evidence be free to draw their own conclusions), but to make it known that the scrutiny that hiflier is focusing upon this investigator is not without precedent, and should not be a surprise to bigfooters with any experience with his claims.

ea818c47f87d1cc618a08e527aa40f123611b77a

• Upvote 1

Well yeah, very good detective work. Sure, I realize it is more probable than not that his credibility is not of the highest level. As for greater implications? Not sure there are any for me, I have to say.

I'm not a big follower of Bigfoot "Personalities", like this guy. I can't say I even had read a single word he'd written or heard a single word he's spoken before now. My BS meter spikes when I see somebody with funny headgear, weird hairstyle or quirky clothing making claims and pitching their latest investment/membership opportunities or book, much like He Who Can't Be Mentioned Here. 

Nobody who wants to keep their credibility around here need say ALL BF sighting reports are 100% legit. I sure wouldn't say that. What seems to throw many out of kilter is the idea that because they CAN be fabricated, they ALL are fabricated, and NONE are worthy of belief.

But you've just demonstrated hiflier that some can be proven a likely fabrication, and nice work. So, how about posting some about those you consider much more trustworthy and can't rule out? The way I see it, if you want to swing one way you better be prepared to swing the other way. What do you call those you can't rule out, eh? We call those, "evidence that needs to be pursued" don't we? We do. Only a few thousand more to go, I'd say.

Hiflier, your investigative skills are certainly appreciated by me, excellent stuff. There are so many claims and stories, not just within this topic, that need this sort of digging to verify what is factual. 

Keep up the good work.

Well yeah, very good detective work. Sure, I realize it is more probable than not that his credibility is not of the highest level. As for greater implications? Not sure there are any for me, I have to say.

I'm not a big follower of Bigfoot "Personalities", like this guy. I can't say I even had read a single word he'd written or heard a single word he's spoken before now. My BS meter spikes when I see somebody with funny headgear, weird hairstyle or quirky clothing making claims and pitching their latest investment/membership opportunities or book, much like He Who Can't Be Mentioned Here. 

It doesn't bother you that Dr.Meldrum sells books, casts and whatnot at comic conventions?

SSR Team

I don't even know who Don Keating is..

But good digging anyway H.

Without having to spend the best part of half an hour reading it all though ( excuse me, just don't have the time ) what's the possibility that he was just genuinely mistaken ?

How long was the report reported after the actual incident ?

People do make mistakes and aren't always outright lying because of them neither.

I'm just throwing that out there, I have no clue who Don Keating is anyway so have no real thoughts either way.

Is this it ? is this the mystery ? Is this all of it ? It's good work but nowhere near bringing the whole stand of grapefruit down. Nowhere close. I assume he had a database of sightings he kept from other people. Did you verify that those sightings were false ? Even if they were. He's one tiny fish in an ocean.

Hello sheri,

With all due respect a twenty year leader/organizer of a major Bigfot Conference isn't a tiny fish. In a field where hoaxers get the silent treatment once found out, like those two not allowed to be mentioned that we know, Mr. Keating was allowed to roll on. And on. And on. It would seem the vetting of his 1985 report was never done? Of course it was. But the results never made it to the light of day until 2010. Time went by, over four years, and it still never came out. I've been on this Forum a year and a half. Came in cold off the street and guess what? I saw the discrepancy before the end of my first year.

This Forum tore apart the Brown.s Thermal six ways to Sunday attempting to either prove or disprove the video report. There has been other investigative work and some really fine work it is. But I haven't seen anyone dare touch the Conferences whether it be Meldrum, Bindernagel, Thom Powell, Gimlin, or anyone else who roams the "circuit" with books, replicas of artifacts, mugs, t-shirts, tours, expeditions, hotel packages....you get the idea.

Yeah, WSA. You wanted to know where this was going? Well, now you know. Don Keating was the lynch pin to the whole thing....the grapefruit pulled from the bottom of the pile. I'm going to guess that Mr. Moneymaker knew as there has been a BFRO presence in Ohio for a long time. But then Mr. Keating was never a BFRO investigator, or so he says. So here's what I really think:

Conjecture:
Damage control wasn't working after the Bigfootery Inquiry came out with the Moon/lie thing in 2010. As a result things got a bit warm and Mr. Keating was asked to leave the BF scene and pressure to step down was growing. By 2012 a "handpicked" successor was put in charge to give a sense of continuity/business-as-usual feel to the Community as well as to those who speak on the circuit.

Bottom line here? Everybody knew...except for the attendees who paid the money to be there (don't forget the surcharge for reserved seating) to the venue, the hotels, and the vendors. But everything is so hopelessly intertwined, being the house of cards that it is, the only answer was to get rid of Keating. And now....he's gone.
End Of Conjecture

I'm more than disappointed here. This should have come to everyone's attention long before now. One has to ask one's self why it didn't. It isn't because of the BFF. It's because of a cadre of individuals outside the Forum who sought to keep it hidden from the Community. Shame on them.

All from one measly little report on Mr. Green's database...........amazing.

Edited by hiflier

No hiflier. This didn't take down anything. Everyone who has seen a bigfoot has still seen a bigfoot. Everyone who has other forms of encounters with them still have their encounter. It doesn't change anything. All it does is possibly show this man wasn't totally honest or he made an honest mistake. Thats all it shows. There have always been people from what i have read that have hoaxed, and been dishonest. It doesn't change anything except people trusting him. That's all.

• Upvote 1

Hello sheri,

And you don't think I know this how? For one thing "taking down" is a figure of speech. What? You thought I was singlehandedly trying to close down conferences or something. Destroy the circuit perhaps? Put the vendors out of business? I'm a nobody, just like you said. Nope, I want Don Keating to make a public apology. That's all.

And all of this was to put the pressure on everything he was ever involved with, to include all his heavy hitting speakers, in order to make that happen. The "industry" needs an example held up to show what happens to those who would deceive............and he's it.

Dmaker....sure, i suppose. There are degrees of hucksterism though, and he decidedly is on the low end. I have a low gag point for anyone with an "action" pose photo in their press kit.

As i said hiflier...that ain't my scene to begin with. Quite the opposite. So, a takedown of a guy like that gets a shrug from me, at the most. Still, nice research. Will you share with us some that you find compelling as well?

I just went by your word's hiflier. You were making a big deal as if you had the holy grail. How basically DWA didn't know anything and wasn't vetting report's. This is one man. He's not as big as you think. Did he organize conferences ? So what. Where all the speaker's hoaxer's. The thing is, you made a huge deal out of this and was slamming DWA for not vetting. Maybe he didn't even follow Mr. Keating. I know I didn't and others on here have said the same thing. It was still good work.

Guest Divergent1

To be fair Hilfer, I think anyone should stay clear of those selling a dream, whether that be bigfoot, ghost tours, retreats that promise personal improvement, or infomercials, etc....

I have never purchased a product that actually worked as the commercial described or attended a conference that was something I couldn't have figured out for myself using a little common sense.

The world is full of gullible people and those that make a living feeding off their gullibilities, it's not limited to the bigfoot world. I'm not ready to tar and feather the entire database just yet but I do think better data could be obtained if we didn't pick and choose what we wanted to believe.

Hello WSA,

Yes, I will. And thank you for the compliments.

First one? Even though he's part and parcel lumped in with rest? Bob Gimlin for the PGF. He's my number one guy after John Green who was the one who plucked Keating's report off of the newsletter to begin with shortly before he stopped work on his database in 2000.