Project Grendel Winter Time Tactics Thread

norseman

Thanks bud.

Just got a stream light for my guide gun. 400 lumen.

I also joined the backcountry horseman last weekend. Good cause and hopefully may get a few leads thar way too.

It's snowing tonight I have my fingers crossed.

Hi Norseman,

Are any of your friend's sightings nearby? That you could stakeout, try your predator calls, look for tracks, etc? Those areas may be a good starting point. Or go back to your old grand dads cabin. I think areas that have had a sighting or activity are good areas to keep checking on. Unless the area has been too disturbed or clearcutted.

Yes but nothing recent. And the old grand dads cabin area is in the frank church wilderness in central idaho. I only have been there in

Summer and Fall. But it's not accessible in winter other than with skis or snow shoes(maybe). About 50 miles from the trailhead.

If you have google earth, type in "cold meadows airstrip" it's about 15 miles north of there along the rim of the Salmon river.

I checked out the airstrip. And I found a Sheepeater Mtn and Sheepeater Lake off to the WNW of the airstrip. They sound interesting. Have you ever been there?

No that is way west of where we usually hunted. Named after the Sheepeater Indians, a hillbilly band of Shoshone that fought a war with the US. The area I was talking about is between Cabin mountain and hungry creek point.

• 7 months later...

I have taken the liberty of forecasting the progress of "Project Grendel" for the next 100 years. I used a sophisticated modeling technique that would take too long to explain here so you'll have to trust that is 100% correct.  See below for the results.

SSR Team

Bore off wingman.

You're not funny or constructive.

Small update on Op Futility - I'll be near West Virginia next week and while the area where we're staying doesn't have a lot of recorded activity, I'm lining up some hiking at the Dolly Sods wildlife area in Pendleton County.  In the realm of statistically unusual events, I think I'd take a visual encounter over winning the lottery, so keep your fingers crossed. 

SSR Team

Good luck Trog, enjoy..

Hello Trogluddite,

If you're on a trail and you see a crowd of people running your way just turn and stay ahead of them and you'll be fine ;)