Encounters That Are Never Reported...

Northfork, my reply dealt with sightings on public lands. Another consideration is private property owners. Owners do not want to have their areas over-run with crazies, lunatic fringe, hunter/trackers and info-tainment types. Their areas would be destroyed.

• Upvote 1

I have been thinking a lot lately about this as I've tried to read BFRO and other reports.

I know from my experience in law enforcement that there are lots of crimes that never get reported. It is human nature that we place a high priority on the impact making a crime report might have on one's family, one's friends and social relationships, one's job...you name it if a person can think of a way making a report will impact their life in a negative way they absolutely weigh that impact against the perceived value of making the report. They then weigh it against any moral foundation, or compass (if they have one, believe me when I tell you some folks don't) before making a decision to step up and call the cops.

These are the Joe Average reports I wonder about.

I wonder how many there are.

I wonder.

Am I crazy?

What do you think?

What can we do about it?

Seems to me to be a well thought-out piece. There are lots of encouters not being reported in my neck of the woods, if I remember what Bindernagle was saying correctly.

Edited by MikeZimmer

Guest lightheart

I too appreciate the thoughtful discussion on this thread.

Northfork IMHO the number of unreported experiences would be mind boggling. When I did some in depth research I discovered that there were " numerous unreported BFRO reports " in my area that don't show up in the data base according to this poster on an outdoor forum. Add to that the incidents that are never reported and you probably have a number that would seem unbelievable to most.

Contrary to the current trend I think that they are living and thriving in close proximity to us with few negative consequences to either group. Here in my state there are huges tracks of land being set aside to preserve water quality for residents and travel corridors for bear and panthers and other wildlife. To me this is a win- win for them and for us. In Florida thousands of people camp, fish, hunt, kayak, hike, bike etc. every weekend with few negative outcomes. Some are probably getting the shock of there lives when brought face to face with the reality that they do exist. As long as they are not chased or harassed they seem to just want to go about their lives and remain unseen. For my part, I think that if there is a plan in place it is pretty much working. There is far more danger from unbalanced humans than from them.

Notebooks: I use 'Reporter's Notebooks'. 4" X 8", fits my hand well, plenty of space for words and drawings and easy to carry around.

Similar.   Usually a 3x5.   I jot down comments about times I pass landmarks, critter activity.  I also document with pictures and try to write the photo number along with the notes and sometimes GPS location.

I didn't used to do this.   Something happened which I blocked out.   Something happened that would be of high interest to my check-in person.  I was out of cell range.   In the 2-3 hour time between "the event" and calling to check in, I blocked out the event.  It took grilling, near interrogation, from the check in person to drag it back up.    The event was creepy.   The blockage was creepy.  Her intuition (?) that there was something to dig for was creepy.   

I wonder how many other things I've "forgotten."   Now I take notes.

MIB

Thank you Northfork, I sincerely appreciate your comment,( the comment that has 3 positive points), and one of those points is from me.

If I should ever have an encounter or another sighting, I will absolutely follow your advice, and record *everything* immediately.

Thank you:)

Contrary to the current trend I think that they are living and thriving in close proximity to us with few negative consequences to either group. Here in my state there are huges tracks of land being set aside to preserve water quality for residents and travel corridors for bear and panthers and other wildlife. To me this is a win- win for them and for us. In Florida thousands of people camp, fish, hunt, kayak, hike, bike etc. every weekend with few negative outcomes. Some are probably getting the shock of there lives when brought face to face with the reality that they do exist. As long as they are not chased or harassed they seem to just want to go about their lives and remain unseen. For my part, I think that if there is a plan in place it is pretty much working. There is far more danger from unbalanced humans than from them.

Here on Vancouver Island, BC, we have a lot of logging, but except for loggers, people don't venture that far from the roads and trails. The bush can be pretty thick and hard to get through in many places, with a lot of up and down.

You would expect that loggers, and logging truck drivers would be having sightings. I have a lot of in-laws in that business, but have been reluctant to ask them, since I don't want to get a reputation as a flake - of course, I may have that rep. anyway.

The brother in law of my sister in law (why the heck don't we have a common word for that?), a Coast Salish guy, drove logging trucks for years. He thinks that Sasquatch are completely likely, but I have not asked him outright if he ever saw one. Maybe time to get his stories, if he has any.

Regards

Why don't we notice our tpying mistakes until after the edit time-window cloeses?

Similar.   Usually a 3x5.   I jot down comments about times I pass landmarks, critter activity.  I also document with pictures and try to write the photo number along with the notes and sometimes GPS location.

I didn't used to do this.   Something happened which I blocked out.   Something happened that would be of high interest to my check-in person.  I was out of cell range.   In the 2-3 hour time between "the event" and calling to check in, I blocked out the event.  It took grilling, near interrogation, from the check in person to drag it back up.    The event was creepy.   The blockage was creepy.  Her intuition (?) that there was something to dig for was creepy.   

I wonder how many other things I've "forgotten."   Now I take notes.

MIB

Whoever this person is, I  am thankful that she is a part of your research. Someone with that type of intuition is a keeper. I am really thankful that you are okay because it seems that you were really in a potentially dangerous situation. I'm glad that you are here to tell us about it! Yikes Twice..

Another consideration is private property owners. Owners do not want to have their areas over-run with crazies, lunatic fringe, hunter/trackers and info-tainment types. Their areas would be destroyed.

this, exactly.

tbh, if I had BF eating apples in the backyard every day at supper time ( I don't, btw )I doubt i'd ever say a word to anyone about it and the reasons listed would be why.

and not only their areas, but any shred of privacy would be gone unless you hired a lot of security to keep the rubber neckers and loonie tunes at bay.

I agree with the private property analysis as well. I own a little rural property and the general attitude around here is that folks do their best to avoid having the .gov paying visits of any kind. Their is a feeling that once you let them on they never really go away, LOL.

Stories of misery relating to stuff like this are legend around here.

Reporting a potential endangered species brings down the rath...

A BF??? For real?

I cannot imagine...

Northfork, there is another factor for not reporting sightings. This thread has listed the human side. It is 50/50, Human/Sasquatch. Reporting an incident/sighting increases the probability that seekers will bring large caliber weapons to the location with one purpose in mind. Anyone in the area is at risk. I am surprised that no one has been shot. Years ago, I had lead winging by me in total darkness. Those people were booted out of the National Forest by LE.

The popularity of roving groups of heavily armed seekers goes in cycles. Washington State has 2 counties that have passed Ordinances to protect Sasquatch.

This is a very good point.  I do a lot of night audio recordings but have not ventured out at night to investigate.  Every night recording has several gun/rifle shots (most likely poachers) and some are fairly close.  So my investigating is limited to the immediate area around my cabin.

Just last week I purchased an orange hunting vest to wear on my daytime walks because of recent shots that were fired while I was out walking.  We have a cabin in a national forest that has very few roads through it.  There is also no hunting allowed in our area, but that doesn't stop people from coming down a private road onto private property at night or during the day to hunt.

Also, I posted on another thread that I had no one to discuss my interest in possible sasquatch activity except this site.  Recently there was a TV program that certain relatives were making fun of - except for 2 who voiced the opinion that they were open to the possibility.  One even confided in me privately that they may have had an encounter.

If it had not been for the program and the negative comments I would never have known about it.  You just never know how many people (even relatives) that have had experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the unreported reports could be as high as five times the number reported BFRO. I use BFRO as example only because thus far they seated themselves as the longest most consistent quasi-official apparatus of gathering Bigfoot information thus far. It could well be this forum could exceed them in a few short years but that is my opinion. Nevertheless, I am speculating that if for example BFRO is holder of 7,000 reports and I simply don’t know if that greater or less, the actual number of reports including non-reported reports are around 35,000.  

You're off by a ways.   BFRO just published their report #45666.   If their sequence generator produces no gaps and your 5:1 ratio is anywhere in the ballpark, there are a LOT more than 35K reports.    My personal estimate has been that among all the organizations taking reports there are probably a total in the 125,000 to 140,000 range based on information I have access to but I may be a lot low.    Apply that 5:1 ratio to 125,000 reports filed.   That's using fairly conservative numbers x fairly conservative numbers, in other words, probably a considerably low-balled guestimate.

There are a **lot** of these "events" happening, I mean a **LOT**.  

MIB

You're off by a ways.   BFRO just published their report #45666.   If their sequence generator produces no gaps and your 5:1 ratio is anywhere in the ballpark, there are a LOT more than 35K reports.    My personal estimate has been that among all the organizations taking reports there are probably a total in the 125,000 to 140,000 range based on information I have access to but I may be a lot low.    Apply that 5:1 ratio to 125,000 reports filed.   That's using fairly conservative numbers x fairly conservative numbers, in other words, probably a considerably low-balled guestimate.

There are a **lot** of these "events" happening, I mean a **LOT**.  

MIB

My figure was example intended interest of creating discussion not as empirical science but thanks for clarifying the figures. The figures are very disturbing and, frankly, it remains something far beyond fables and fairytales of beauty and the beast or Aesop's Fables of the boy who cried wolf, and the role of skeptics gets just a little harder.

Applying that 5:1 ratio to 125,000 is huge.

Consider each of those 125,000 sharing their experiences to just two closest members of their lives and you’re looking at a quarter million people. I have to believe sightings unreported are not static rather perpetual. From there you can compound that figure and see how the Bigfoot sightings go beyond our current level of understanding, including mine.

Edited by Gumshoeye