Need Some "wood Knocking" Help And Some Personal Experiences

Xion Comrade

2 2x4s with hinge. 2.5 ft in length. Moneymaker made one, makes loud knocks, but he doesn't seem to carry it along.

Sas Chronicles guys are saying woodknocking info started with Moneymaker and BFRO, (He did introduce it) and that it is all bull, that before Moneymaker, no reports of wood-knocking existed (in conjunction with BF sightings, etc.)

That is because the Sas Chronicles guys are pretty cruddy researchers themselves...Anyone knows that you aren't going to realize the knocks are bigfoot related until you either 1. Witness proof that they are yourself, 2. Get to know someone very well who says they witnessed that it is....Same thing goes for the different funny animal imitations the bigfoot do...

Hinged blocks of wood is a pretty great idea though! That may be the route I take

Edited by Xion Comrade
  • Upvote 1

but fwiw, the thump I refer too isn't a series of quick pops but a single or double note "thump - pause - thump"  .

the closest thing ive heard to compare was from a zoo gorilla that stood and hit its chest once with a closed hand... it gave me pause and instant flashback to  when I heard the thump in that dark creek bottom early one AM.....chalk it up to one of those " I don't know " moments I suppose.

I experienced this once, for about 30 minutes off and on. I was in camp alone, planning on staying up as long as I could, then hunkering down in the front seat of the suburban for the rest of the night. I was parked in our camp area with my truck facing toward the corn field maybe 75' away [east]. I kept hearing what "sounded like" someone dropping a very large (volleyball/basketball) sized rock onto HARD soil.... but it was coming from inSIDE the corn and kept moving around, never coming from the same place each time. I eventually heard rustling in the corn over to my 10 o'clock position maybe 125+ feet away and lit it up with a bright spotlight just in time to see "something" very dark lowering down from the tassle level several rows back in. (maybe 3 or 4?)

I wasn't processing it very well for some reason, then about 15 minutes later, I heard a series of 5 or 6 classic vocals moving south on the other side of the river to my back. [west] It only took a couple seconds, then the realization of the "thumps" and the tall dark object lowering itself out of view hit me. I wound up leaving the camp a short time later and spent the night somewhere else. It freaked me out.

The soil is typically sandy soil for this area, and the tassle height was on average 7 to 8' high after about 3 rows in. So, I can only surmise these deep, deep thumps were coming from one of "them", but how I don't know. I assumed hitting the chest, but I couldn't prove it if I had to.

As for the OP, I would say "Don't". If you know you have Squatch in the area, you don't NEED to call or wood knock. They're not going to fall for it. Just set up camp. Do normal and abnormal things to stimulate their curiosity. If they're curious, they'll come check you out.

• Upvote 1

Recording of wood knocks are definitely ambiguous at best, I included

three of mine in the last post, check it out and let me know if those

are similar to ones you have heard or recorded. The circumstances are

kind of interesting in two cases something responds. So if it is a

method of getting things to respond, either wolf or fox, or whatever,

then I would think they are hunting for them, or possibly in tandem

with them, if these were human in origin I do not think there would

be any response.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Recording of wood knocks are definitely ambiguous at best, I included

three of mine in the last post, check it out and let me know if those

are similar to ones you have heard or recorded. The circumstances are

kind of interesting in two cases something responds. So if it is a

method of getting things to respond, either wolf or fox, or whatever,

then I would think they are hunting for them, or possibly in tandem

with them, if these were human in origin I do not think there would

be any response.

Some recordings are ambiguous, some are plainly obvious but it IS one of the easiest things to hoax with enough work.

What I hear is more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDn3FmxHnPw

The knocks that Start around :40, some are as loud as gunfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J255_mC7Wpk

At 6:45 is EXACTLY what I heard on the 19th and was in response to one of my own knocks, as soon as I knocked a pretty eerie call started up around the hill out of view and started moving in my direction, then the knocks started. First it was just one, then a second, then the place just erupted. Didn't take but a meer 10-15 seconds after my own knock for the area to just blow up. It occurred down in a marshy sort of area near on a knob across from me where I believe they spend alot of time, I entered the area and eventually found a 4 inch wide crystal clear heel print and heard more knocks pretty close to me. The "Firing Range" I experienced was a little longer than the one he experienced.

http://youtu.be/Bo5pxJTCnKA

At 5:40 you hear what is gunfire, I hear this sometimes too but coming from areas I know for a fact do not have people/hunters in them and probably rarely ever do.

http://www.stancourtney.com/sounds/bigfoot/2010.11.28_01_Troll_wood_knocks.mp3

This is somewhat similar to what I have heard sometimes, I rarely ever so much hear a "Impact" I guess is how to put it, but the sound usually happens a good ways away from me and just travels a long way.

http://www.stancourtney.com/sounds/bigfoot/2012.04.12_Wood_knocks_08.mp3

Another good example, that deep thud. The first knocks I got this winter about 3 or 4 weeks ago after following a "Crow/frog" croaking sound were real echoey(Scientific term!) like these, they sounded as though you took a huge 100lbs boulder and dropped it down a stone well, tons of echo, sound was traveling around a small valley with a creek in the middle which wrapped around the hills I was on to the right going out of sight.

http://www.stancourtney.com/sounds/bigfoot/2011.06.18_Wood_Knocks_07.mp3

I will hear this alot, but often only one knock. Makes it hard to tell that way what it is imho unless it is in pretty direct response to one of my own knocks, I think hearing it when there is no snow on the trees also raises SOME suspicion that it could be a big fury guy(Weight of the snow can break things off of the trees and what not)

Edited by Xion Comrade

I experienced this once, for about 30 minutes off and on. I was in camp alone, planning on staying up as long as I could, then hunkering down in the front seat of the suburban for the rest of the night. I was parked in our camp area with my truck facing toward the corn field maybe 75' away [east]. I kept hearing what "sounded like" someone dropping a very large (volleyball/basketball) sized rock onto HARD soil.... but it was coming from inSIDE the corn and kept moving around, never coming from the same place each time. I eventually heard rustling in the corn over to my 10 o'clock position maybe 125+ feet away and lit it up with a bright spotlight just in time to see "something" very dark lowering down from the tassle level several rows back in. (maybe 3 or 4?)

I wasn't processing it very well for some reason, then about 15 minutes later, I heard a series of 5 or 6 classic vocals moving south on the other side of the river to my back. [west] It only took a couple seconds, then the realization of the "thumps" and the tall dark object lowering itself out of view hit me. I wound up leaving the camp a short time later and spent the night somewhere else. It freaked me out.

The soil is typically sandy soil for this area, and the tassle height was on average 7 to 8' high after about 3 rows in. So, I can only surmise these deep, deep thumps were coming from one of "them", but how I don't know. I assumed hitting the chest, but I couldn't prove it if I had to.

As for the OP, I would say "Don't". If you know you have Squatch in the area, you don't NEED to call or wood knock. They're not going to fall for it. Just set up camp. Do normal and abnormal things to stimulate their curiosity. If they're curious, they'll come check you out.

I think sometimes I do get the jump on them when I knock(Don't really want to do that, disrupts their daily routine imo), I figure they must use it sometimes as a signal for danger to help get the others in their group aware so they can all move out, so when you do it you will get some responses but they are leaving the area for whatever reason. Most of the time though I think the knocks are just them messing around with me, they do work pretty well with the ones in my area. The area I am in is pretty vast considering that it is in the southeast, I would say I have a 12 mile stretch along which I could figure out pretty much anywhere to sleep, so knocking simply to get a response is a necessity imo because I don't see them walking very far just to check out some lone camper, knocking may also cue them in to knowing that I know about them pretty well too.

My goal is to get a up close and personal daytime sighting, face to face, knocking tells me where they are(And tells them where I am) when it happens back and forth. The alternative is to walk myself to death in this place until I just bump into one.

First experience I ever had with a bigfoot that is exactly what happened, I just set up camp and went to sleep, didn't take but a few hours before one walked right up to me, thank God I am a light sleeper is all I can say! That was back in early spring.

Edited by Xion Comrade

I have heard single lone knocks when I enter the area, or stay in the area

for a while. Otherwise I have only heard them in the recordings. As far

as faking audio, well that is not in doubt. Those who know me, well at least

have followed my threads, know that I have no interest in faking anything, so

rest assured my recordings are of something real and not contrived, whether or

not they are Sasquatch remains to be proven, but it is either a Sasquatch, or

another neighbor who knows they are present and is conducting his own research.

I have yet to rule that out 100%, right now I am 90% sure.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

If you agree that a chest beat could be described as a "thump" there are lots within reports in various databases.

Yes a chest beat could be a thump, I know of reports of thumps , like something hitting the ground. Some thumps might be knocks on tree roots that just don't have the same ring to them also. Some people describe a sound like a hard heavy stomp like what GII mentioned above.

I've also heard a heavy drumming in one recording that would probably be best duplicated by beating on a big 55 gallon plastic drum if you can imagine that with lots of low frequency echo. 

I have recorded faint knocks on different occasions both around 3:00 am, don't remember the moonphase. My recordings are ambiguous and could be other things so  I don't really have any real things to add to that part of this discussion. I do however, know what you mean by the sheer power of whatever makes some of those sounds. The vocals I heard could be reproduced, I suppose. . Using a high quality, high power P.A. system, you could get vocals that you can feel 'thump' you in the chest. You could find a man, I suppose with the pipes to make that range of sounds. However, I find it very, very unlikely that someone with the world class vocal talent of whomever you feel has the strongest voice in music, was making ungodly super sounds into a really good pa system with really good speakers costing thousands of dollars just inside the woodline in my front yard. I wish I had been able to record the vocals. I guess that is everyones lament lol. Story would be a lot more interesting if one could hear that screaming and whooping so clear and loud it would probably have distorted the audio from my porch, but like a lot or most of this subject, I am left with a story without accompaning evidence and some 'wished I had"s and "almost" es, and the frustration of imparting the sheer wonder at the power and clearness, and awe and even a little fear of what I heard, even by those who want to believe me. But, I get the 'power' part of what you say . lol

I use a red jam block percussion instrument and a small metal hammer. I can muffle the sound, change the pitch, etc by sticking my fingers into the sound opening or use my knuckles to wrap it. If I strike it with the hammer as hard as I can it can be heard about 350 yards away. It makes a very distinctive higher-pitched knock which I've had mimicked back to me multiple times. You can find the block at any music store and online.

interesting on the corn field encounter Guy, I can understand being freaked out.

did you go back and check between the rows for tracks later ?  to find some would've been a great follow up, but i'd be looking for those in the daylight .

I don't use them much anymore but I cut a scrap 2x4 into two 8 inch pieces. I don't have a hinge on them but do stack them and open one end to about 50 degrees then slam closed. It makes a nice sound and is easy to carry. The hinge isn't a bad idea but 2 at 2.5 feet each is too much. I use mine now for making light taps occasionally and don't go around loud knocking. I tend to clack rocks these days..

interesting on the corn field encounter Guy, I can understand being freaked out.

did you go back and check between the rows for tracks later ?  to find some would've been a great follow up, but i'd be looking for those in the daylight .

Didn't find any definative tracks at the time, but did measure the corn stalks 3 rows in (in daylight), so I knew the rough height of what I saw "drop down".

Found a good convenient woodknocker finally, the flat end of my Estwing Axe, plently loud and useful with other things!