Collection Of Voucher Specimens

norseman

^^^ If...you lived a primitive lifestyle and saw little if any benefit in interaction with smaller but much more violent and dangerous two-legged critters, wouldn't you want to keep on the down-low?  Especially, with the pale ones that showed up a few hundred years ago and after observing what they did to the red ones.

Edited by Yuchi1

Why would a creature that can chase down a deer need a spear? Humans use spears and other hand launched missiles because we cannot outrun a deer or elk. In a heavily wooded environment dragging a spear around in one hand would slow you down. Then there is the fabrication, and maintenance issues which BF may or may not be capable of.

This is not entirely accurate.  One of the most primitive forms of hunting is based on endurance, still seen today by the Kalahari bushmen of Africa.  They exhuast the animal by running and then use the spear.

While an ungulate can outsprint a human, they lack endurance and the ability to regulate body tempurature -- which humans excel at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think it's important to look at it from an evolutionary perspective, but evolution just doesn't seem to completely support this animal. How could they be both at the top of the food chain and still be so non-direct in their way of dealing with things. It's almost as if their behaviour of being non-confrontational is there for the sole purpose of staying safe from human beings. Did we really play such an important part in their evolution?

Overall, there are a lot of things about this animal that just don't make sense in my opinion. If someone can manage to get a body, I think DNA analysis would shed light on certain things in regards to why these animals are the way they are. Knowing what they are would be a major step forward in understanding this animal.

Hasn't evolution been shown to not be linear rather, to have run flat for extended periods of time and then make significant leaps forward?

BFF Patron

I just don't follow the picnic basket argument or some of the logic given by Norseman. Norseman claims them to be dumb apes yet suggests rightly that an animal like a grizzly would come take your picnic basket to eat your chicken. BF does just the opposite. Why? Certainly like a grizzly, unless you are well armed, BF could do the same thing. BF systematically knocks off animal feed in farms, food in deer feeders, raids outdoor freezers on farms, etc, which are the equivalent for them of a Tasty Freeze for us in town. Not sure what the difference is other that it is unlikely BF go into town to find food. Bears go into town all the time, get tranquilized and hauled out into the forest. So is bigfoot smarter than a bear and that is why it avoids doing that? If so, how much smarter? Places with lots of apes or monkeys like some places in Africa and India are overrun with them. They are all over towns and can be hazardous to humans. How can we assume that apes or monkeys are always reclusive and that is the reason BF is reclusive when there is considerable evidence that suggests that the opposite can be true about apes or monkeys? I know a pilot that was bitten by a monkey on the street in Deli India. I recall several reports of monkeys or apes stealing babies from homes someplace.

I don't know how smart BF is but I really do not follow some of this logic.

They superficially look like us, but are not human, about as smart as a chimp or gorilla, and do not occupy the same niche as us therefore avoiding conflict and contact with us while being driven ever increasingly into smaller pockets as urban sprawl climbs.

Chimps and Gorillas aren't smart enough to hide from us and avoid lengthy video sessions by researchers. We should have this if bigfoot were no smarter and just didn't care if we are watching them, but they do.  Superficial just doesn't cut it when you factor in the reported speech, tactical maneuvering , and knocking in some sort of covert communications.   There's more levels of intelligence at work here.

In their "world", and the knowledge they use to survive there, they are a lot smarter than us. Otherwise the pro-kill folks would have made the deadlines a long time ago. Thank goodness they have never tried to actually study the BF's trait and habits or peacefully interact with them before committing themselves to "putting one on the slab for science. (Of course if they  had done that work, no rational person would even consider killing one.) 

Neither science nor the government need or want any more "voucher specimens"; 

Edited by Branco
  • Upvote 3

SSR Team

I'm surprised by Norseman saying that these things are about as smart as Chimpsa and Gorillas etc and I've said it many times before that I think people grossly underestimate the intelligence of these things.

IMO of course they're smarter that other higher primates like Chimps and Orangs etc.

Look at us being here writing what we do every day and the existence of this forum for proof.

If they did have regular animal intelligence, or even higher primate intelligence like Chimps etc, this subject would have been nailed a long time ago.

These animals utilise their environment to their benefit like no other animal on earth, clearly.

Edited by BobbyO
  • Upvote 4

Chimps and Gorillas aren't smart enough to hide from us and avoid lengthy video sessions by researchers. We should have this if bigfoot were no smarter and just didn't care if we are watching them, but they do. Superficial just doesn't cut it when you factor in the reported speech, tactical maneuvering , and knocking in some sort of covert communications. There's more levels of intelligence at work here.

Neither are Guinea or Amazon lost tribes...... We observe them all the time.

But a Cougar? Without dogs isn't nearly as easy.

Which leads me to believe being sneaky and being smart are not necessarily inclusive of each other.

If we were shooting at lost tribes regularly they'd make themselves harder to find as well. It is interesting to note that those Guinea tribes announce themselves entering each others territory with a whoop-like vocalization so as not to cause alarm when they walk into another tribes camp. I also had a prokill property owner and witness from East Texas tell me that one of the BF he saw looked like an Aborigine person this past weekend and his neigboring property owner calls them "River People".

Curiously enough? They do get shot at by resource based industries. So the government tries to go in and document the tribe and protect while attempting to leave them in a natural state.

Neither are Guinea or Amazon lost tribes...... We observe them all the time.

But a Cougar? Without dogs isn't nearly as easy.

Which leads me to believe being sneaky and being smart are not necessarily inclusive of each other.

You are certainly right about that last one. (Dogs won't help with BF, being sneaky won't either, and outsmarting one seems to be your only option, except blind luck. Oh well, as they say, "an old blind hog sometimes finds and acorn".

Norseman,

You may call it "hippie jibberish" but I call it "seeing the forest for the trees."  Have you not heard how we have a water problem in California???  We have raped and pillaged this planet for so long that we may be nearing a point of no return.  Out of the last 16 yrs or so, the last 14 were the hottest years on record.   Whatever you want to call this situation, we have a problem.  The hairy guys in the woods IMO know that they have to have water to sustain themselves.  They will chase you away from a creek or a lake that they perceive to be their property.   It's obvious to those who are dependent on water.  In almost every state we are talking about "water" and how to keep it healthy (in my state we have had town hall type meetings).  The one I attended was very seriously saying that the "talking" is just about over...we need to do stuff and NOW!

We waste so much of "everything" but from what I've seen and heard the hairy guys only take what is needed.  They take a things from our gardens, they eat some corn every now and then, they carry off one pig a year, and so I do not find it necessary to hunt them down and kill them????

Curiously enough? They do get shot at by resource based industries. So the government tries to go in and document the tribe and protect while attempting to leave them in a natural state.

And that is exactly is EXACTLY what at least five branches of the federal government - with the cooperation of most pertinent state agencies - have been doing for BF for about 150 years, and it has worked pretty dang well. The two reoccurring problems are rouge BF that have to be taken care of, and dealing with folks that believe - and once in a great while - succeed in putting "one on the slab for science". (Their system of taking care of this last problem is a life changing experience for those folks with good - but naive and ill-founded - opinions about the the government's ignorance of BF and what they actually are.)

At some time the government will have to lay it all out for the public, but it won't be because another BF, or a portion thereof, is collected as another "voucher specimen" by some hapless hunter seeking fame and/or fortune.  

Edited by Branco