Parachuting In_Setting Compass Out

ShadowBorn

It's no coincidence that I have jumped three times, with everything time being in Iowa.. ;)

Those corn stalks could give you a "surprise" though.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I have thought about getting inserted into an area with a helicopter. The advantages of that are: You control where you actually end up (that was a real problem parachuting over France on D day), you can avoid a weeks worth of hiking to get into a truly remote area, you can bring a lot more food and gear with you than you can jump with, less chance of injury, and you can arrange a pick up on a particular day or have a satellite phone and call for early pickup. I have looked at buying a used helicopter but have no rating, not sure I could learn how to fly one at my age, and really do not need something else to maintain.

Jumping into forests with 100+ foot trees is very risky. Hit a tree, collapse your chute, and it is a long fall to the ground. Even smoke jumpers, jump into clear areas and hike the necessary distance to get to the fire. It can be miles from the jump zone to the fire. If anyone is ever at McCall Idaho, the smoke jumper station there will give you a tour, if you call the day before to arrange it.

I do think the idea of insertion into really remote areas not normally visited by humans has merit. You might not even have to look for BF, humans might be so rare in some places that they come and look for you. Set up camp, do day hikes, and wait for something to happen.

You could always just hike in.. ;)

Being that I jumped out of airplanes my entire military career...

that thought had occurred to me as well...

You would be a fool to parachute jump into thick canopy, even if you knew there were Bf in the area.

You probably would be severely injured during the attempted landing. Most jumpers, and I know many, make sure there is a clearing for the landing.

We liked to call them a "DZ"..

Contrary to what some may think, there are Bigfoot/Sasquatch subjects very close to certain populated areas across the U.S. For one, my first close encounter and a later visual sighting were no more than about 25-30 miles from the center of a major city. A substantial number of reported sightings back this up as well.

Where ever there is lasting water supply, food sources, cover and concealment, the chances are there could be activity in there. Not one behind every tree, but knowing what to look for and understanding their behavior can go a long, long way with having success without a huge effort.

Just my two cents from personal experience...

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

The were just saying the same thing on the I-5 bridge a few days ago to a guy threatening suicide. He shut down the interstate in Portland for a few hours. Those caught in traffic would have gladly thrown him off.

This is something that I personally have considered doing, but as age has caught up with a bit, it is likely that I wouldn't survive all the dangers that would be encountered. Using this technique as a means to get proof of bf existence would be very unlikely, but for me, their are many more reasons to consider it. The area that appeals to me is SE Alaska and gold prospecting, bf, and personal challenge are the things that would drive me. A general outline of what the costs, time, experience, training, and planning to give myself a decent chance of surviving simply are too steep at this point in my life.

To consider doing this as only a way of getting proof of bf seems a bit over the top and there are much less costly and dangerous ways of getting to remote areas. UPs

much faster if its remote.

smoke jumpers can be on a back counrty fire in a matter of hours.

Why don't just drive to the cabin that NAWAC uses if you want to see a BF (or shoot one).

Based on the analysis of SSR database for WA, my recollection is that in the Olympic Peninsula (a hot spot), most BF sightings (~19%) took place from a car on the road. 

Not sure you need to go deep into the wilderness, unless you know where they sleep.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Research is something that requires commitment. The NAWAC's visual sightings are about once every 6 weeks per person, with the average time being several seconds. I'd imagine it's even harder in other places. Parachuting just doesn't seem practical for anyone who's serious about this.

Jumping into an area where they are, would be a good way of making contact with them.   

See, there's the problem, aside from parachuting into the forest, determining where they might be.  You could make a guess by using data to determine what would be a likely spot, but what you are after tends to move a lot.  Besides, the jump would scare the living shite out of your dog.

• Upvote 2

I think its a good idea if you're trained to do that stuff. The main point of it would be so they have less a chance of hearing you coming, if any are there. Jump then hike a little instead of hiking a ton would equal less noise.

I'm not getting the whole "so they can't hear you thing." Hiking or riding in, setting up camp, getting firewood, talking, laughing, the noise you make around a camp, to me that would be like a magnet to draw in a curious critter...

Maybe it would draw certain bf in or drive others away. Id assume some are more curious while others are more cautious.