Hmm, I Wonder What It Was..

NCBFr

Not enough information in the article but it doesn't sound like a possible squatch to me. I know if I were in their position I would be freaked out by every little sound in the woods.

Guest ChasingRabbits

So do squirrels.  If these women had no experience with wildlife it could have been anything.  Saying it could have been a bf is pretty silly and shows you just how one track minds work.

t.

Yes, especially when bears are on the suspect list and they only beginning to come out of hibernation. ;-)

Possible suspects in no particular order:

deer

squirrel

wolf

coyote

cats

people

bear

Edited by ChasingRabbits

One sister is from Nebraska, so the story was on the news here quite a bit. Good to see they made it back alive.

And, for the record, bears can be up and moving any time of the year.  Just so happens that the vast majority stay put for most of the winter.

Very fortunate to be alive. 2 weeks is a long time to be out there in the dingweeds when you weren't prepared to be there.

Moral of the story in these situations is stay with the car, stay with the car, stay with the car.

It'll likely be awhile before they've had a chance to reflect and understand just how fortunate they were to come out of there alive.

Guest ChasingRabbits

Very fortunate to be alive. 2 weeks is a long time to be out there in the dingweeds when you weren't prepared to be there.

Moral of the story in these situations is stay with the car, stay with the car, stay with the car.

It'll likely be awhile before they've had a chance to reflect and understand just how fortunate they were to come out of there alive.

Another moral is to have food and water in the car if you are traveling a considerable distance. They probably didn't think so when they bought the Girls Scout cookies from their relatives, but they were probably happy they did when they were stuck out there for two weeks.

Was the ''bear print'' really a bear, or was it more ....hand like... :fan:

A squatch print could be mistaken or ignored to be a bear print. And ...they did hear something crunching around in the woods.....ohhhhhhhhh

Edited by Wag

Guest JiggyPotamus

Of course I would have to agree that the non-bigfoot explanations are much more plausible, but that is not to say the bigfoot explanation is impossible. I think that before we could even debate the issue we would have to have a very detailed description of what was actually heard. I think that would narrow down the possibilities considerably. Smaller animals are not going to make as much noise as larger animals most of the time. For instance, a deer walking through snow is not likely to make as much noise as a bear, as the bear has a greater mass and will compact the snow more than the deer, which the way I see it would create more crunching. Whether or not it is even possible to distinguish such sounds I cannot say, because I have very little experience with snow in general. The snow we get in my part of Texas only comes every 7 or 8 years, and it is really wet, not a dry snow like up north, thus walking in it produces a different sound. The only time I've spent winter months up north was in NYC, and obviously there are not many animals traipsing around there. Therefore given my limited experience, I admit I might be wrong. I saw some squirrels in the park, but I don't remember them making sounds in the snow. I saw a white squirrel too. I dubbed it the snow squirrel. I saw a naked guy running through the snow as well. Don't ask me why because I don't know. I was not really paying attention to the sounds his footsteps made. Edit to add: Don't take that the wrong way.

Edited by JiggyPotamus

Umm, you owe me 997 better possibilities than BF.  I buy in to deer, hunters, and bear in that order.  You promised me 1,000 better possibilities.  I doubt you can come up with 1% of your commitment.

Deerhunter owes me a link as well as I have a really really hard time believing there is a bear print on the car's door.

OK, I might have exaggerated a bit on the number, but there are plenty of explanations, and it looks like bear is it in this case.