Cascades Carnivore Project - How Do They Miss The Bigfoots?

kitakaze

Hi Saisquatch, I do understand what you are saying. My son, who is also the person I spend most of the time in the field with, just returned from a trip to London. He took a train ride to wherever the rail museum is. He commented on the flatness of the English countryside where he was traveling and how tame it looked. With the farmland and towns here and there. A big contrast with the PNW. We have our big cities but we also have immense wild country.

^^^One should note here that the pine marten and the American marten are different species:

http://www.arkive.org/pine-marten/martes-martes/  (pine)

http://www.arkive.org/american-marten/martes-americana/ (Amer.)

I not sure that the relation is between European and American species, but rather that an animal can remain hidden from experts and scientists in a somewhat comparable situation, in that we have no wilderness at all ( in fact no matter where you are in the British Isles are you no further than 17 miles from a road ) and do not record an animal of that size for over one hundred years and a certain other animal that is undiscovered in a country of many hundred square miles of wilderness.

Oh, I was just making a technical point, as it read as if the two species were considered the same which they aren't.

I certainly would argue that the pine marten going unconfirmed for that long in England should give us pause, particularly when in the case of the animal under discussion here there is not only a lot more wild country but total denial by the scientific mainstream that such an animal could even exist, both factors that contribute mightily - I might say mainly - to the situation with sasquatch.

BigTreeWalker - Your son is right most of the countryside in England is tame, especially the southeast. I'm lucky to live right on the edge of the Elenydd ( trans. deerland but known in English as the 'Desert of Wales' due to it's remoteness ) where I can walk all day and not meet a soul. That being said our biggest predator is the badger so still quite tame!

Hope your son enjoyed his trip.

DWA - I agree totally, my post was rather stating the obvious for the benefit of anyone reading the thread than a dig at you*. Although I should have added that an even better analogy here would be the British Big Cats.

* I mention this as my original post does seem glib.

On the subject of Wild Britain:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Old-Ways-Journey-Foot/dp/0147509793

Highly recommended. One particularly pertinent episode occurs when our humble narrator camps near an old stone ring/copse of ancient trees at a site reputed to be "haunted." A large, unseen animal (?) proceeds to launch itself from tree to tree overhead, emitting an otherworldly scream. All in all, exactly as I imagine a cougar would.

Saisquatch, he thoroughly enjoyed his trip. He brought back a lot of great photos. It sounds like your in an interesting area... Like to see that myself.

WSA - I've read Robert Macfarlanes 'The Wild Places' but not that one which is now on my Amazon list, thank you.

Regarding his experience camping, several years ago I found two places, some miles apart, that had sheep carcasses of various ages. The farmers wouldn't have dumped them in one spot because of the large fines. I then remembered the 'Beast of Bont' - a big cat released by a local farmer in the 70's. Not sure if big cats collect kills in one area I started carrying a big knife. A couple of years later an eagle was discovered to be residing in the area, not sure if eagles collect kills together either but would prefer an eagle to a big cat. If anyone has an idea or another suggestion I would be grateful to hear it.

I'd be surprised if an eagle could manage to take on a full grown ewe, and certainly not a ram. It would be lambs, younger the better, I imagine. As for cats, you'd know better than me.  Anywhere there are large piles of easy prey, predators will find them if at all possible. Most any shepherd (and I was one once) will keep a very close tally of his flock. If even one goes missing, it is not usually overlooked. Of course larger flocks present more challenges. Still, If there were, piles of carcasses seems like somebody would notice. That is to say, I'm thinking those were carcass dumps, legal or not.

Thanks for the reply WSA. Some of the carcasses were of quite large sheep so that would rule out an eagle. One dump was at 1,500 ft on a hill farm but on open access land and near a public right of way. The other dump was on lowland right on a permissive right of way, my daughter and I had to actually step over the remains to pass. The farmer was committing a criminal offense by not removing them, and if he was caught actually dumping them he would get a ban on keeping animals, possible custodial sentence and become a local outcast amongst his peers. Dumping carcasses does happen but these farmers were being idiotic if they gathered them together in the places they did. I'm going to see if they're still there and check for marks on the bones.

BTW I found a clump of black fur half a mile from the lowland dump a few weeks later. It was caught on bramble 12" above ground on a game trail in woodland. No tracks and there's a lot of dog walkers.

Any more findings I'll post in Cryptozoology.

Saisquatch....you got a real mystery there. These questions are interesting to ponder, especially when the easy, pat explanations don't hold up.

Yeah it's a mystery alright but big cat skulls have been found in the British countryside as well as tracks and sightings, but if you mention it to Joe public they look at you funny  or walk away shaking their heads even though there's evidence. This makes me wonder that even if there was solid physical evidence of bigfoot will it make a difference. My only interest in British big cats is that I often walk the hills and forests with my youngest daughter and my grandsons. I am far more interested in big hairy fella that you experience.

I am going out in the next two weeks to have a look at those bones. I'll let you know what I find. 

• 1 month later...
  • masterbarber locked this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic