Bigfoot Dna

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think a more likely scenario is that they might be one version of the conglomeration of inbreeding between hominid lines over time. They haven't found the fossil evidence but they have found genetic evidence that other lineages existed.

I would go with this but add hominin with hominid and interbreed instead of inbreeding considering todays technical terminology.

We aren't a pure breed ourselves, so I consider BF as a likely hybridized species, especially if they have identical mtDNA to modern humans.

BigTreeWalker, if you mean this quote below, I think one current theory in using your example is that BF would be a population mules or hinnys that are fertile and only rarely cross with a horse (the modern human female). This would be a hybridized species that posesses the mtDNA of a horse but isn't 100% horse.

Is a horse a hybrid because it has a mule or a hinny for an offspring?

Edited by southernyahoo

True. The question would be whether the mules could go start a new breed and become isolated while retaining the horse mtDNA.

BFF Patron

We are hybrids, at least some of us. About 20% of Western Europeans have Neanderthal DNA. With BF being significantly different than human or Neanderthal I would think a human BF hybrid would be very different. Perhaps that was what Zana was?

Guest Divergent1

The sasquatch Sasfooty talks to said we are the GMO's. Now there's a curve ball for you, Ontario, we're the mutants.  Evidently The People, as they call themselves,think they are original to the planet and we are the altered late comers. It makes sense if you think about it, we aren't very well adapted to live on the planet without a lot of "stuff".

Divergent, Another way of looking at this;  we are supremely well adapted to live on the planet because our intelligence and manual dexterity allows us to create a lot of "stuff." Where as other species have gone the way of the Dodo.

Guest Divergent1

But if civilization collapses, we might have a pocket here and there of humans that survive, but we will never have the high tech we have now because all of the surface metals are used up. It requires deep mining to get what we need, give it a few generations after the collapse and even that will be forgotten.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think your going to have to explain that reasoning to me.

Is a horse a hybrid because it has a mule or a hinny for an offspring?

If donkeys and horses were in the same range and had a large population of non-sterile offspring, both horses and donkeys would probably mix to the point where you only have mules. 

In the case of Sasquatch, we don't have any evidence for a non-human ape that supposedly interbred with humans. If the hybrid idea were true, one would expect to see Native Americans that display Sasquatch-like characteristics. 

Guest Divergent1

That would depend on social factors, wouldn't you think? If this truly happened with human females, it might result in the mother abandoning the child. That would prevent any interbreeding back into the human population assuming any of the offspring were viable.

Seems like we'd have stories about this though, if it happened enough times to generate a hybrid species, wouldn't the Native American legends talk more about the giant rapist monster and the hairy babies that were never kept?

Guest OntarioSquatch

The hair sample from Walla walla Washington which was analyzed by Brian Sykes was determined to have come from a feral person with an ancestry from Uzbekistan. Pretty strange don't you think? You would expect Native American DNA if they were the result of hybridization.

Another issue is that Sasquatch avoid people like the plague. That shouldn't be the case if they are hybridized so well.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Guest Divergent1

What if it was just a Russian fisherman or a mail order bride over here out for a hike?

Guest OntarioSquatch

That's possible, but it would mean they've never shaved. With hair samples you can rule out Sasquatch if the end of the hair is cut, but if the end tapers off like you would expect from a feral person, you can at the very least determine that the person hasn't shaved.

Guest Divergent1

I don't think that's right. I have new hair popping up all the time that has never been cut. When I lose a hair, another grows back in to take it's place. I only get the ends trimmed so the scissors would miss the newer hair growing back in.