Screams, Howls, Cries And Other Sounds.

Woodslore

LOL!

Randy, that brought an incident to mind while we were out elk hunting last month. My hunting partner and I were headed out in the early morning to check out another area. We were in the old growth timber and I started hearing a NA flute playing. It sounded like it was ahead of us. My friend had a puzzled look on his face and I'm saying, what the heck. Listened for a little while and I realized I recognized the tune. It was me! I had slipped my recorder in my pocket and it had turned on. I play the flute in camp sometimes. It fits the forest so well with it eerie echos through the forest. Thinking something might show some interest someday. Anyway I had gotten it on my recorder one night. We sure got a big laugh out of that. :D

Edited by BigTreeWalker

According to the BFRO website, Moneymaker's 1994 Ohio Howl "has consistently stumped animal sound experts. All scientific analysis has concluded that it was not a mechanical device nor was it the vocalization of any known animal."

Does anyone know specifically which 'animal sound experts' it has stumped?

Does anyone know specifically what 'scientific analysis' it has undergone?

If yes, has anyone submitted their own recordings to the same 'experts / scientific analysis' ?

What are people's opinions of it and why?

You might consider Dr. Robert Benson of Texas A&M University and or an Associate Dr. Joe Fox from Texas A&M Corpus Christi , both of whom I think have analysed the Ohio Howl. I'd say it stumps all of them until someone can produce the animal on film making the sound. :cool:

Would you understand an analysis of the sounds if you read one?

SY,

My point was that the quote on the BFRO page infers that repeated scientific analysis has been carried out on the Ohio moan, and that all of it thus far has definitively shown that it cannot have been produced by any known animal. If this is indeed the case, then I would very much like to read the scientific analysis that was performed on it (yes, I would understand it). I have googled the two names you provided above and have not come across any analysis of the moan attributed to them. Are you (or anyone) able to point me in the direction of it?

And moreover, if there was an analysis that could definitively prove that a recording of a sound could not have been produced by any known animal, surely it would therefore be a simple matter to subject all such recordings to this analysis.

I have no idea whether the Ohio Moan is of a Bigfoot or another animal. But if someone states that it has been definitively shown that it is not any known animal, then show me the definitive analysis!

By the way, I am currently reading through the report on the Sasquatch vocalisations link you posted...

Edited by the parkie

For me personally I feel as though a large scope of Sasquatch sounds can be and are known animals, just people want them to be something more. There are some that I am left wondering what on earth made that sound. Good example the "talking" or "murmuring" sounds. I have been in the woods hunting with my Father and heard similar sounds and known we are the only people out there. Heard some and had my Father look at me, cold as stone, and say keep your rifle ready. Though some of the whoops. and howls I have heard on forums, documentaries, and Finding Bigfoot I am left wondering how could they not tell that is a known animal? I'm interested in this whole idea of sound as in nature so many animals can sound alike. We have where I live this little bird that sounds just like a squirrel. If you didn't see the little bird sings its heart out you'd swear its a squirrel chattering away. Seen and heard deer make a sound that almost, almost sounds like a dogs "warm up" to a bark. Heard woodcock that laugh and sound like a witch on halloween. So sound is interesting to me.

P.S. I have not been able to get a clear recording of the sound from around my house. I have tried but when it starts the dog goes in full growl and kind of muffles it. Tough now he blocks you from going towards the sound. Kind of plasters himself to your side.

For me personally I feel as though a large scope of Sasquatch sounds can be and are known animals, just people want them to be something more. There are some that I am left wondering what on earth made that sound. Good example the "talking" or "murmuring" sounds.

If you listen to my recording in the post at #158 you will find that the recording I made of a wolf call is so similar to the Ohio howl/moan (minus the baking dog) that my impression is that the recording from Ohio has to be a wolf.  I am not a scientist nor an expert in audio analysis.  I don't know how common wolves are in Ohio, but I have heard these wolf calls on many occasions and they are sometimes accompanied by other howling wolves.  My recording was made in northern MN where there are several thousand wolves.  I have found wolf scat and deer remains on our Superior Nat'l Forest property, so I know they are always nearby. 

The sounds that I am more interested in are the whoops and howls that don't sound like any canine or large cat and also the knocks i capture on the recorders.  I continue to leave audio recorders out every night that I am at the northern property.  Many nights I capture the same animal sounds and frequently hear rock clacks and tree knocks.  These knocks I can't explain. They are often one to three loud knocks fairly close immediately followed by the same number of knocks off in the distance.  This series is sometimes repeated a short time later.  They might also be something easily explainable, but I haven't discovered what it is so I am not ruling out the possibility that it could be a bf since the close knocks would take a great deal of force to produce the sound.

As for the rock clacks, we recently discovered pieces of smashed crayfish and fish scales on our dock and shoreline and our minnow bucket completely emptied two nights in a row.  We learned there are river otters that were seen in the area.  They do use rocks as tools to smash open crayfish shells and I just learned they have been known to open minnow buckets of other property owners on the lake.

• Upvote 1

See that's what I mean! not everything screams bigfoot out in the woods. But if you stop and listen closely you begin to understand nature and that they do not live by our rules. Wolves have no boundaries  so they are free to travel where ever their legs will carry them, A wild animal shelter is not the same as ours. Unless you have these creatures in front of your view any sounds that come from the forest can be from any animal.

Parkie, an analysis will likely only tell you what known the sounds are most like. The most compelling ones to me ofcoarse are like a human but also acompanied by outliers or circumstances that suggest a nonhuman behavioral profile.