Screams, Howls, Cries And Other Sounds.

Woodslore

SSR Team

You mean like this ShadowBorn ?

This is all of the reports we have on vocalizations on the OlympicPeninsula in WA State, divided by season.

http://cdb.io/1GmvlhZ 

You can play around with the layers via the box in the top right corner and make a specific season visible or not however you wish, and you can zoom in or out as you wish too.

Edited by BobbyO

SY

Are you speculating that all these calls that fall on certain nights or moon phases might be related to mating? It makes sense ! Just like deer or any other animal it goes through it's heated Phase. But then it could be a time of month for them.

I would be looking for a repeated vowel syllable sequence for the long distance calls. This already exists in the recordings, it would just be further affirming to see it consistently described in the reports. Like this........WhooOOP.........YAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOO.............whooOOP..

SSR Team

You need to speak to member "galahad" SY, he's your man where this is concerned, undoubtedly...;)

You mean like this ShadowBorn ?

This is all of the reports we have on vocalizations on the OlympicPeninsula in WA State, divided by season.

http://cdb.io/1GmvlhZ 

You can play around with the layers via the box in the top right corner and make a specific season visible or not however you wish, and you can zoom in or out as you wish too.

Is it possible on this database to compare dates and times and see if there are  other vocalizations ? That will match up that were done in one part of the state and another vocalization on another part of the state.  The times and dates have to match up on both locations.

You can set up a data base for different vocals and see how any times the whoop and yahoo come up. You can see how the whoop and yahoo was used or for what ever vocalization you want to study. 

if all the reports are on one data base I think that you can also have the data base look for what you want it to look for. You might even be able to write a script that searches for date and time. Then you can just weed out what you do not want. Data bases can be used as a scientific instrument if you know how to work them.

BobbyO

I really like your data base, real nice with the map function and all. It would be nice to click on the map and place your mouse on those little dots and see the date and time and event in a given area. Or is this already set on another data base?

SSR Team

Everything that you've asked there is possible and done already, it's just about having the time to present it.

I only really quickly knocked that map up for you with the data, in literally 5 mins,

Like I said previously though, the only separation in different vocalisations we have are growls and whistles with everything else grouped collectively under "vocalisations".

My personally belief is that sighting reports will be too subjective to start dividing up whoop's and sirens and howls etc etc.

One mans siren is another mans howl etc.

We don't have the ability now to split our reports in that way now and are going ahead with the three different search parameters which are whistles, growling and vocalisations.

What if these whoops and sirens or vocalizations that are not being split on the data base are a clue to some thing deeper. Like low frequency or even ultra high frequency of communication of long distance. What if there is a correlation between the time and dates to the sounds of whoops and those long howls,  just like there is to the whistles and growls.

Just like statistical data  can give you a prediction.  You can use it just like this and say that on this time and date the probability of there having a sighting in this general area are 100%. Well maybe not 100% that's just too sure for you science folks so lets put it at 98% or do you think lower?

SSR Team

Well for correlations of anything I'm absolutely sure I'll find them when the data input is done and the analysis starts, long time away yet though.

This specific split of vocalisations though that you're talking about could be a future project and IMO, a project that would have to be done via logged first hand experiences as opposed to the sighting reports that we already have out there.

There is just this nagging feeling I have though of inaccuracy where unqualified people are concerned in describing strange sounds and the possibility of error and inaccuracy is much larger that actual visual sightings.

Although I would never dismiss vocalisations reports completely, I don't personally give them anywhere near as much credit as I do actual visual sightings with a lot of research I do because I just think the possibility of inaccuracy is much greater due to the subjectivity of the descriptions.

BFF Patron

Related to the validity of vocalization reports I would probably discount everything after the start of the Finding Bigfoot Series.      That show put hundreds of people in the woods making their own vocalizations.   Similarly knocking is suspect unless you are fairly certain there are no other humans in the area.      While in my mind there is no confusing a genuine Ohio type howl (heard that twice, once in Oregon and once in Washington),   one cannot be sure that someone is not call blasting authentic howls.      The volume and dynamics of the real thing is something a human could never produce.     Much of the purported BF vocalization recordings I hear are nothing more than coyotes.    Someone on a BFF thread recently mentioned there are no coyotes in his region.     I find that hard to believe as they seem to be everywhere, including urban areas.    If not coyotes then in most areas there are wild dogs.    I have a neighbors dog that really can put on a performance when she is alone at home.    Vocalizations are similar to human sized footprints.      Unless you see what produced them you cannot be absolutely sure that a human is not involved. 

But you can count on old reports since there has been nothing there to influence them. Having a data base by certain vocals  using old reports set within the data base so that it could be searched on. Maybe some vocals will tell us that they are used for mating or maybe some may be used for long distance communication.

SSR Team

The database is being/will be used to look for patterns and trends in behaviour, no doubt about that.

I'm sure that vocalizations "mean" things and i'm convinced they are used for communications, but i am just ultra wary of how they're interpreted by unqualified people even in their description of them as, as i've said prior, the margin for error is pretty great and the possibility of skewing data because of that is very possible too.

We then add to what i've wrote above with the very valid points that SWWA makes above and there are potential issues in vocalisation reports.

But you can count on old reports since there has been nothing there to influence them. Having a data base by certain vocals  using old reports set within the data base so that it could be searched on. Maybe some vocals will tell us that they are used for mating or maybe some may be used for long distance communication.

I think the long distance calls would be less varied since you can't communicate with as much complexity as with close quarters speech/ chatter etc. I agree on the older reports being less influenced by today's information network.

I would like to understand why they would use these long loud drawn out calls. If those are not long distance calls then why use them as a tactic as way to see if they are around. See it would be these statistics in a data base that would be help full in pin pointing ideas on better communication be sides other un-worldly ideas. sure going over hundreds or maybe even thousands of old reports might be a pain and having to add them to a new data base would be a pain. But there would be so much statistical data that could be gathered that could give you a good profile and prediction of where and how to encounter them.

We would have knowledge that there were this many growls or this many whoops or what ever vocals. Know and say that when we hear this then we know that they are real communicating with each other. We might even start to see a language that we did not even know existed and be able to us it to our advantage.

I mean like the whoop call, we have all used that call many times in the field. But that call seems to attract males but not females lets say. Could we have learned this from our data base, that the whoop call was more of a call to attract young males? I do not know. but then again maybe.

SSR Team

I would like to understand why they would use these long loud drawn out calls. If those are not long distance calls then why use them as a tactic as way to see if they are around. See it would be these statistics in a data base that would be help full in pin pointing ideas on better communication be sides other un-worldly ideas. sure going over hundreds or maybe even thousands of old reports might be a pain and having to add them to a new data base would be a pain. But there would be so much statistical data that could be gathered that could give you a good profile and prediction of where and how to encounter them.

We would have knowledge that there were this many growls or this many whoops or what ever vocals. Know and say that when we hear this then we know that they are real communicating with each other. We might even start to see a language that we did not even know existed and be able to us it to our advantage.

I mean like the whoop call, we have all used that call many times in the field. But that call seems to attract males but not females lets say. Could we have learned this from our data base, that the whoop call was more of a call to attract young males? I do not know. but then again maybe.

WA is the State with the most reports and it so far has a total of 25 growling reports, 17 whistle reports and 202 other vocalization reports going back to 1952 with 88% of them coming before the Finding Bigfoot show first aired in May 2011.

BFF Patron

As far as meaning, I think a growl has a universal meaning.    Many species use it to express displeasure or warning.   My experience with back and forth whooping in the context I observed it, was two BF were out of each others sight and I interpreted it as a means for them to stay aware of each other position as they moved through the woods out of each others sight.  The huge volume howl is puzzling to me in that it violates BF protocol of stealth and revealing location.     Whatever the purpose is,  it has to be important enough at the moment to give away their location.   It could be similar to canine howling which is in some ways a performance or something totally different related to territory.     Of course it is rare enough that it might be a sign of mourning.      I wonder if we will ever know the purpose of some of these things.  

WA is the State with the most reports and it so far has a total of 25 growling reports, 17 whistle reports and 202 other vocalization reports going back to 1952 with 88% of them coming before the Finding Bigfoot show first aired in May 2011.

Ok ,so out of the 25 growls that were encountered can you exclude bear. Can you understand that with the data that is given can you explain what occurred prior to the growl. Then add that to your data base and then add the area, time, and date.  Your data might show that at the time of the growl the intruder might have walked on a hunt, maybe getting to close to a shelter or what ever the data will spit out at you.

The sounds that they make and understanding them may help those that want to get close. But they lack understanding of some of these calls and what they might mean, but building a data base based on calls might give more understanding ,maybe fooling them once we know what the calls are used for. But the only way to do this is to have a data base on just calls ,having the calls  correlated with their prospective reports.