Why The Criticism Of Todd Standing, But Others Get A Pass?

When ever there is a controversial subject throughout history, misinformation is always a key component........it would explain a whole bunch.

Bigtex, wish we could prove that paid to discredit claim. That has far reaching ramifications if true. It has always seemed very suspicious to me that some skeptics have the time and interest to spend as much time as they do on a website of something they do not believe in. And they are not just on one site either. Some are around on several. I am retired and I don't have time for more than one forum. Getting paid to spread skepticism would certainly explain that part of it.

To the casual surfer, the merits of their arguments may make some sense, but to those really interested in this subject all it takes is about a week or two before your alarms go off. I have always wondered about the same thing and other than being crushed at an early age by learning Santa Claus isn't real, it never made much sense to me. This does make sense and it really is sad if it is the motive behind some of the more active skeptics.

This is nothing more than a personal thought based on what I've seen and experienced with the 'supposed experts' in a certain field.

I've come to the summary conclusion that many engage in a particular field and are fairly virtuous and honorable in their pursuit of any said genre. But after awhile the need for either ego-driven ambitions or some other form of motivation takes over and what ever well-intended actions and/or directions they may have had initially goes to the way side. The taste of a bit of publicity and fame get in the way of 'the real pursuit'.

Although I still have a hard time believing that someone gets in and/or participates in any said genre with the initial intent to hoax an event. But I am also open to the possibilities that I am too trusting about mankind in whole and wanting to believe that "we" are for the most part 'good'.

I honestly could go with this; bigfoot skepticism must be getting funded.

Or it is one of the oddest mental conditions I have come across; and no, it has to be one or the other.

I definitely wanted to mention this, as I've heard rumors over the years about folks getting paid for hoaxing and misinformation. Some of the hoaxing is so obvious, you just scratch your head as to why someone would put their credibility in question.......guess there's a price for everything. Plus, since these folks are getting paid, that must give them the mindset that they are actually doing good.

^^^

Well that is a bit of fresh air and something that I’ve suggested since starting a thread about six months ago. It might sound laughable in some corners but if we could agree to move beyond that possibility to the next logical step in cadence might we ask ourself who has the resources to fund these things and who and would benefit the most? Why  would hoaxing be so important that someone would risk disclosure unless the reward was monetary in nature. Are the possibilities too far beyond comprehension to suggest some skeptics may indeed be instruments for the cause -albeit paid cause? While I firmly believe in some cases hoaxing very well may be driven by psychological deficiencies though others appear too choreographed and scripted and perfectly executed for a one person garage project. Stay curious be observant and ask questions.  - Just Saying  

Guest Curious Cat

Granted I am new to much of this, but as in all things, you have to follow the money. Who has it & who stands to gain if BF is constantly discredited as a hoax? Is it government, large corporations? They have the means to disseminate funds through difficult if not impossible to trace paths most of us do not have access to.

There are still a good percentage of hoaxing glory seekers, pranksters, self-promoters and those looking for easy street, just as you see in all walks of life. But there does seem to be a stream of funds from somewhere for concerted effort. I agree with SWW (for short?), am retired too and can't see how these folks can do all that, without staff that need paychecks...

@Curious Cat - When they’re not hoaxing I can presume some adopt the role of skeptic and they can be the loudest most vociferous among them or the quietest. If you were instructed to justify your worth where would you go, to a Sportsmen Forum or Bigfoot Forum? Take a moment and consider that question.

While many come here to inform themselves about a creature in the woods while some are here to misinform and plant seeds of doubt. Too many people all through centuries have encounters to tell to write it all off as a hoax. I for one have a greater faith in humankind than to excuse it all as a hoax. If you pose yourself as a formidable obstacle to their mission they gang post you meaning several will jump in and swarm you like angry bees and sting you with angry rebuke. They will attack you without regard for civil forum etiquette then turn around and accuse you of demeaning them which is all intended to shut up you up and close down any discussion of these creatures. They want no discussion of Bigfoot.

Their folly is that they are easily flushed out into the open light when you openly state what is already known about these things in the woods.  At some point you will identify them as they will identify themselves.

Be Vigilant, Ask Questions, Stay Curious and let your conscious be your guide and most importantly do your own due diligence.

Edited by Gumshoeye

Guest Curious Cat
Gumshoeye,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. There are too many encounters to ignore. Skeptics circle in all phases of life, well aware of that, appreciate your sage words.

Standing's error was short term gain vs. long term goals. Seeing his muppet video, they immediately struck me as not real. Anyone who watches animal movement studiously will see that.

He may have had real encounters, but they and future ones will now be tainted. He has put the fuel on the wrong fire.

Cat

Thank you for the comment CC, I agree unfortunately as it was demonstrated in the old Aesop’s Fairy Tales and Fables, you call wolf once or twice for a hoax, and the third time when you do have a legitimate claim nobody wants to hear it or believe you and that’s the crux of it.

Meanwhile, the cast of Finding Bigfoot has gotten rich knocking on trees..........

Wow. Yeah. I heard they had a combined wealth of 10 to 11 trillion dollars just from residuals alone.

I love coming back every once in a while for the comedy.

Gumshoeye,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. There are too many encounters to ignore. Skeptics circle in all phases of life, well aware of that, appreciate your sage words.

Standing's error was short term gain vs. long term goals. Seeing his muppet video, they immediately struck me as not real. Anyone who watches animal movement studiously will see that.

He may have had real encounters, but they and future ones will now be tainted. He has put the fuel on the wrong fire.

Cat

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes - The Beryl Coronet

^^^

Powerful stuff. I am very familiar with that and it is very appropriate for this thread. Thanks! Though only a character in pseudo-name, it was the fundamental principles used in that character behind the pen that lives on and practiced in modern law enforcement today.

Guest Curious Cat

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes - The Beryl Coronet

^^^

Powerful stuff. I am very familiar with that and it is very appropriate for this thread. Thanks! Though only a character in pseudo-name, it was the fundamental principles used in that character behind the pen that lives on and practiced in modern law enforcement today.

You're welcome. It applies to the search we are all on here, but to all research as well I believe. As you said, due diligence must be paid. Did this start in Scotland Yard then? May be a thread for general discussion so as not to derail the OP's thread...still have training wheels here and cannot start a thread yet.. ;)

You have a copy of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Baring-Gould then? There is a new annotated version out by Leslie Klinger. Hmm, there are some on Kindle too, will have to sort through them...

You're welcome. It applies to the search we are all on here, but to all research as well I believe. As you said, due diligence must be paid. Did this start in Scotland Yard then? May be a thread for general discussion so as not to derail the OP's thread...still have training wheels here and cannot start a thread yet.. ;)

You have a copy of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Baring-Gould then? There is a new annotated version out by Leslie Klinger. Hmm, there are some on Kindle too, will have to sort through them...

Hello C.C.  - Off topic a bit but I may be able to answer your questions in a Personal message (PM).

You’re more than welcome to ask any questions in Personal Message: Use the upper right hand corner task bar find the letter icon open it, click comprise new message type my name and state your comments or questions, send it or post it and I’ll get right back to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me or do others find it hard to judge and keep track of which Sasquatch researchers are "safe" to believe and accept their theories of these days? I mean is there an active list a person can follow along with, or is it kind of a flavour of the month kind of thing? Not defending anyone (seriously I am not) but who can we trust in the Sasquatch community? We got a great list of NO's but the list of PRO's seems kind of thin (with a lot of people crossing the floor). My view on Todd something feels off. Maybe that is because of the words of a few people here, maybe because some of his stuff looks like a muppet that the dog took out behind the wood shed. Though some stuff he has found or theorized kind of makes sense. Still I lean towards the muppet master category.  

It is incredibly difficult to keep track of valid reports and there is noway to verify any evidence presented.  There are many web sites riveted to every scrap of BF news that emerges, all with junior grade analysis and a ceaseless barrage of peanut gallery comments .  The BF community is a mob mentality that piles on the negative end of popular opinion at every opportunity.

The difference with some hoaxers is they try to monetize their involvement.  Clever hoaxers like Standing and Dyer are very deliberate in their approach being able to bait and hook to draw an audience.   If you get media publicity through whatever means, it makes you a temporary celebrity in the BF fishbowl.  Very few of these celebrities are able to have anything to show for their efforts.