"bigfoot On The Brain"

MNskeptic

It is not a illness but a state of mind that one has when looking for Bigfoot, a regular person who has no contact what so ever of these creatures . Who has never read a book or even seen one .Nor do they have this creature on their brain at all. They will never encounter this BOTB since it has not been programmed into them.

This only happens to those who have already programed them selves to encounter a creature. There fore believe that every noise ,rock throw or what ever other encounter must be Bigfoot with out further investigating it. A Regular person would just blow it off as just being normal until they see some thing contrary to their beliefs. Then it becomes BOTB all the time until they have assed the information and made sense of the situation. 

Researchers seem to get use to after awhile and the BOTB goes away. Just what Gigantor has said.

I get it, and understand exactly how you would like to interpret that but let me share the sheer genius of this OP:

Shadow Owl please allow me to make a point, are you suffering from a disease? No? Neither am I. Are you willing to say on this forum that stays forever and ever after you leave you had some psychological disorder? I don’t have any psychological problems but nor would I say that either … This business of a skeptic connecting the two entirely interpretations with very real meanings into something proponents of the opposite end of the spectrum claim is an act of genius and problematic.

Syndrome - A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition. - thefreedictionary.com

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/syndrome

Who present here understands they are freely admitting to issues that has a potential for far reaching problems beyond this forum? Anyone? 

Let me make it simple by offering this example: If you own weapons now or in the future you cannot by law if you are mentally unfit,  and I don't care if you do or not, and if somebody wants to determine if you or (anyone in general) are mentally unstable every social media and blog, forum you ever entered will be scoured to substantiate or deny your claim or use this frivolous well-meaning comment to find just cause. Do you understand this?

Exaggeration? Who's exaggerating? Seems to Misleading is OP word.

The opening statement could have been more reflective of the fact that it was discussing differences in individual sensory perception and uses thereof but it did not. It clearly chose to label it something associating people with psychosis.  It said quote: “BFOTB is a real syndrome for those of us who are open to the existence of this creature. I know BFOTB is a real syndrome 'cause I had it and still fight the tendency to this day.†   

Here's the genius of the opening statement, and why I find it so reprehensible:

If you claim to had an experience something like this and many have in reading the postings, well then the opening point admits quite candidly quote, “BFOTB syndrome is not rational and causes us to reach conclusions about things which are attributed to BF circumstantially, with the dismissal of far more plausible explanations," if you think your rational and admit to this I suppose you’re not rational according to the OP, and its exactly what meaning of syndrome is ... good luck with that.  

Edited by Gumshoeye

I get it, and understand exactly how you would like to interpret that but let me share the sheer genius of this OP:

Shadow Owl please allow me to make a point, are you suffering from a disease? No? Neither am I. Are you willing to say on this forum that stays forever and ever after you leave you had some psychological disorder? I don’t have any psychological problems but nor would I say that either … This business of a skeptic connecting the two entirely interpretations with very real meanings into something proponents of the opposite end of the spectrum claim is an act of genius and problematic.

Syndrome - A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition. - thefreedictionary.com

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/syndrome

Who present here understands they are freely admitting to issues that has a potential for far reaching problems beyond this forum? Anyone? 

Let me make it simple by offering this example: If you own weapons now or in the future you cannot by law if you are mentally unfit,  and I don't care if you do or not, and if somebody wants to determine if you or (anyone in general) are mentally unstable every social media and blog, forum you ever entered will be scoured to substantiate or deny your claim or use this frivolous well-meaning comment to find just cause. Do you understand this?

Exaggeration? Who's exaggerating? Seems to Misleading is OP word.

The opening statement could have been more reflective of the fact that it was discussing differences in individual sensory perception and uses thereof but it did not. It clearly chose to label it something associating people with psychosis.  It said quote: “BFOTB is a real syndrome for those of us who are open to the existence of this creature. I know BFOTB is a real syndrome 'cause I had it and still fight the tendency to this day.†   

Here's the genius of the opening statement, and why I find it so reprehensible:

If you claim to had an experience something like this and many have in reading the postings, well then the opening point admits quite candidly quote, “BFOTB syndrome is not rational and causes us to reach conclusions about things which are attributed to BF circumstantially, with the dismissal of far more plausible explanations," if you think your rational and admit to this I suppose you’re not rational according to the OP, and its exactly what meaning of syndrome is ... good luck with that.  

Not to argue but to debate this issue . I still stand with my statement. It is like you have said that BFTOB syndrome is not in the medical books so this would be a non issue. The way that you have stated this make this op sound like a way of entrapment of some sort. That is why I had change my statement from syndrome to just being BFOTB. It is not illness nor will it ever be considered one. We all have fears and we all deal with our fears in our own way. BFOTB is just a state of mind that one gets when they are searching for these giant creatures. It happens to every one who ventures into this field or is just willing to find the truth. As time passes the issue with this phenomena fades. If it was not a part of Bigfooting then this issue would not have been brought up. But like you said it was an op, an op for info I am not sure and do not care. But I believe I have held My ground here since 2000 on this forum. I just believe that people who have had encounters are acceptable to this BFTOB and can effect them of having a second or third encounter. If only they learn to tune in to the environment like we did when we were hunters of the past.

Good grief. No one said it is an actual disease. I fully understand the OP and I imagine most do. All it is saying is that we can slip into thinking any noise or strange event is caused by bigfoot. That is not how to stay objective, it how we end up with any story, no matter how unsubstantiated and unbelievable, being accepted as authentic by many people. And that itself, is how we end up with a mountain of crap that constitues what many call evidence.

• Upvote 1

Guest OntarioSquatch

In my opinion, most of the crap evidence out there (mostly on YouTube) is due to hoaxing, not "Bigfoot on the brain syndrome". It's one thing to constantly have Bigfoot on your mind, but posting blobs and Mike Patterson type stuff as actual evidence is a whole different issue. 

^^^

Rather than mislead anyone on the meaning of some syndrome that supposedly exists, how about pointing out where in PDR (Physician Desk Reference) I might find Bigfoot on the Brain (BFOTB) …   

Please show exactly where the OP said that it was a medical illness.  Better yet, don't because that's a strawman that you created.  "Syndrome" is commonly used to indicate a problem in some system, such as "there are several key indicators that nations display with the onset of failed state syndrome."    

I think what is being exaggerated here is the "danger" of a misidentification. There is no danger involved. 

In some cases, there isn't any danger.  In many cases in which there is no visual sighting, there is a substantial danger of miss-identification.  For example, hearing a tree falling in the woods somewhere in the distant dark woods, then declaring that to be unequivocally a Bigfoot, is a sample of BOTB (syndrome). 

... are you suffering from a disease? 

Again, no one in any post suggested that someone who claims to have seen, heard, smelled, or mind-melded with Bigfoot was suffering from any illness, state of mental unfitness, or mental disability.  

Protesting disproportionately to a position on an issue that is different from that which one holds is something else in addition to BOTB (syndrome). 

Please show exactly where the OP said that it was a medical illness.  Better yet, don't because that's a strawman that you created.  "Syndrome" is commonly used to indicate a problem in some system, such as "there are several key indicators that nations display with the onset of failed state syndrome."    

In some cases, there isn't any danger.  In many cases in which there is no visual sighting, there is a substantial danger of miss-identification.  For example, hearing a tree falling in the woods somewhere in the distant dark woods, then declaring that to be unequivocally a Bigfoot, is a sample of BOTB (syndrome). 

Again, no one in any post suggested that someone who claims to have seen, heard, smelled, or mind-melded with Bigfoot was suffering from any illness, state of mental unfitness, or mental disability.  

Protesting disproportionately to a position on an issue that is different from that which one holds is something else in addition to BOTB (syndrome). 

I have no disagreement with the idea that people have different experiences but to refer to this as a syndrome - and I know full well the meaning of that word - is more than I can let slide without some resistance.  You know that is false and misleading, call it exaggeration or Strawman or anything you like but look it up before you start labeling words and names. You seem rather quick to criticize, doubt and second guess people and their encounters and reports on the most smallest of details and yet, this seems impervious to you?  Got you figured out.

^^^

Are we talking about Bigfoot or Nations?

^^^

Pointless .... Absolutely

^^^

Misleading and false! There is no BTOB syndrome it's all in your head.

Edited by Gumshoeye

Trogluddite, on 18 Jul 2015 - 7:33 PM, said:snapback.png

^^^

Are we talking about Bigfoot or Nations?  I'm discussing the word syndrome - I can't help you sort out what you are talking about. 

^^^

Pointless .... Absolutely  If so, then why write 9 paragraphs above disclaiming about people falsely accusing others of having, or admitting to having, a mental illness?  Neither the original poster nor those pointing out that BOTB (syndrome) is a risk to be guarded against introduced the mental health issue.  Others did.  Others who immediately protested that it was mean to claim that they had a mental illness. 

^^^

Misleading and false! There is no BTOB syndrome it's all in your head.   Well, everyone else is discussing Bigfoot on the Brain, not sure what BTOB is.  Are you a licensed clinical psychologist?  Have you conducted a full analysis of the people who mentioned BOTB in sufficient detail to make a medical determination that their concerns are "all in their heads?" Seems like that's accusing them of having some sort of mental illness.  Does the PDR list "BOTBOTB" (a syndrome in which people deny the existence of Bigfoot by claiming that all evidence of Bigfoot is simply a misunderstanding of naturally occurring events)?  If not, its not a real syndrome and you shouldn't be telling people that it's "all in their head."    

Trogluddite, on 18 Jul 2015 - 7:33 PM, said:snapback.png

You can call a zebra a horse too, but that doesn’t make it so either. It’s all in the context you choose. Words are powerful and meaningful. To define that word used as syndrome any other way when you know better is still disingenuous and misleading.

Guest DTRobers

Not speaking for any of the other posters on this thread; what I am saying is that identical sensory input can produce different conclusions in different individuals depending on past experience and current mindset. For example, if I hear a series of percussive noises as I am walking down the sidewalk I am likely to think "backfire" or "fireworks". As a former LEO Gumshoeye may think "gunfire". His response is obviously the prudent one, whereas in many situations mine will get me injured or killed. But neither of these responses can be turned on or off at will.

I also think that of the three senses most often stimulated in a BF encounter (sight, hearing, smell) sight is the least likely to fall victim to this mindset bias. We are primarily sight and touch oriented, so what we may hear or scent needs to be evaluated with some suspicion.

Gumshoeye, being the second poster on this thread I believe you are trying to convince me that I have a psychological problem. :-)

However there is another definition of 'syndrome' we should consider - a characteristic combination of opinions, emotions, or behavior. Plus the root words are 'together + to run'. LMAO!

Which by the way makes complete sense when I consider the OP. There is an excellent example of this effecting the BF community. Consider the Chehalis howls. Until Thomas Steenburg discovered it was a coyote making those howls how many assumed or were sure it was something else? Classic example BOTB syndrome.

Guest diana swampbooger

Is this something like in high school Boyfriend On The Brain/Girlfriend On The Brain?.... know what I mean

or

Bring Your Own Bottle?

or

Gambling...Shopping...Overeating........some addiction or another?

a series of percussive noises as I am walking down the sidewalk 

That's a good example and it illustrates the problem nicely.  

Gumshoeye, being the second poster on this thread I believe you are trying to convince me that I have a psychological problem. :-)

However there is another definition of 'syndrome' we should consider - a characteristic combination of opinions, emotions, or behavior. Plus the root words are 'together + to run'. LMAO!

Which by the way makes complete sense when I consider the OP. There is an excellent example of this effecting the BF community. Consider the Chehalis howls. Until Thomas Steenburg discovered it was a coyote making those howls how many assumed or were sure it was something else? Classic example BOTB syndrome.

I’m not trying to convince you of anything. Is that all you got out of this whole point? People want to define themselves like that understanding their written words live far beyond this present day go for it.

Not speaking for any of the other posters on this thread; what I am saying is that identical sensory input can produce different conclusions in different individuals depending on past experience and current mindset. For example, if I hear a series of percussive noises as I am walking down the sidewalk I am likely to think "backfire" or "fireworks". As a former LEO Gumshoeye may think "gunfire". His response is obviously the prudent one, whereas in many situations mine will get me injured or killed. But neither of these responses can be turned on or off at will.

I also think that of the three senses most often stimulated in a BF encounter (sight, hearing, smell) sight is the least likely to fall victim to this mindset bias. We are primarily sight and touch oriented, so what we may hear or scent needs to be evaluated with some suspicion.

I understand your meaning and your explanation perfectly well and have so all along. I agree and understand people experience symptoms such as you described are common to sensory biases and all is good. However, in the realm of Bigfoot/ Sasquatch where ridicule and mockery does exist and is a very real obstacle every day where everything  debunked and scrutinized I simply do not understand how this word, this term "BOTB Syndrome" used to define very real symptoms in my opinion is beyond me.  You done a very exceptional job of describing symptoms not the syndrome as most have.

Two very different meanings: Symptom and Syndrome

BOTB  (the word, term) is found nowhere within the annals of medicine and does not exist, and you cannot find that word with or without syndrome that defines your explanation in an dictionary.  You do understand this correct? 

Syndrome (the word, term) defined connects medical and psychological issues and it's the negative connotation of the word term that presents the problem with me people!

Once again, I am not arguing the symptoms aren't real the  "BOTB Syndrome" word is false. The person who started this thread claimed unique knowledge of this syndrome and before the opening point concludes they admit they no special knowledge to it. So which is it?

Edited by Gumshoeye

Is this something like in high school Boyfriend On The Brain/Girlfriend On The Brain?.... know what I mean

or

Bring Your Own Bottle?

or

Gambling...Shopping...Overeating........some addiction or another?

Diana gets it.

I’m not trying to convince you of anything. Is that all you got out of this whole point? People want to define themselves like that understanding their written words live far beyond this present day go for it.

Not merely pegging, but breaking, the irony meter. (P.S. don't go to the Rigid Tools website looking for an irony meter - they don't really exist.) 

Once again, I am not arguing the symptoms aren't real the  "BOTB Syndrome" word is false.  Symptoms are, according to the free online dictionary,  a physical or mental feature that is regarded as indicating a condition of disease, particularly such a feature that is apparent to the patient.  So you're saying that you can't find BOTB Syndrom in the Physicians Desk Reference, but you'll find a page which lists the symptoms of it?  Which is it?