David Paulides (411) On Coast To Coast Monday!~

This is something some of our ex law enforcement people could probably clear up a bit for us.    As I understand it, most departments have a blotter by the phone where they record incoming reports and stuff.    In old times, paper, probably today some kind of electronic file.  That means the high profile / high anxiety stuff gets recorded.   What I was told is that in both cases, the missing person didn't know they were missing, turned out to be sort of a non-event when they turned up ok, so probably the blotter was not updated.   If David P. didn't do very thorough research, if he only read the initial reports and didn't dig .. which might have required going to the station .. he might not have had access to the resolution to the case.

I don't want to overly fault him, I just want people to be cautious in assessing how thorough the information he provides is.  

If a particular case piques your curiosity or resonates in some way, investigate it yourself.   The internet is a pretty wonderful thing for such activities.  If you can't find the specific information you should at least be able to find out who to contact.

MIB

Edited by MIB

This is something some of our ex law enforcement people could probably clear up a bit for us.    As I understand it, most departments have a blotter by the phone where they record incoming reports and stuff.    In old times, paper, probably today some kind of electronic file.  That means the high profile / high anxiety stuff gets recorded.   What I was told is that in both cases, the missing person didn't know they were missing, turned out to be sort of a non-event when they turned up ok, so probably the blotter was not updated.   If David P. didn't do very thorough research, if he only read the initial reports and didn't dig .. which might have required going to the station .. he might not have had access to the resolution to the case.

I don't want to overly fault him, I just want people to be cautious in assessing how thorough the information he provides is.  

If a particular case piques your curiosity or resonates in some way, investigate it yourself.   The internet is a pretty wonderful thing for such activities.  If you can't find the specific information you should at least be able to find out who to contact.

MIB

That’s a pretty fair summation MIB. Each agency differs in procedure and policy but incoming calls are logged manually or electronically by computer. Those report stats are categorized and filed by date and time, types of reports or open and closed. Some of those reports may be received central dispatchers or received over the counter by lobby walk-ins. Missing Persons reports in particular fall into gray areas meaning there is great latitude given by the official taking the report and whether or not it a missing person is infirmary or a child or an adult. From there is its often left up to the person taking the report to determine between a child lost by a negligent or lazy parent or a child taken against its will. Whether a missing adult is a cheating spouse or one that disappeared under circumstances of genuine foul play where blood or something else may be present and whether or not a missing elderly adult is missing due to Alzheimer or something else.  That said, each agency is territorial and jealously safeguards reports within their own jurisdiction which public may or may not ever know about unless public outcry dictates.

This is an oldie but a good, a believer's review of Paulides work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrI8oYmkMDc

Bodhi, I agree with Ontariosquatch who replied to this review of Paulides you called an oldie but a goodie saying, "That wasn't exactly a good review."

It was a hit piece on David Paulides.  I would say you have your cross hairs on him.

Finally listened to the show. More of the same "sloppy" research. The most recent Squatchers Lounge Podcast addressed the nonsense that is Paulides claims. They do so in their news section at the beginning of  their show.

Bodhi, I have the same question as TedSallis, "Care to offer some explanation or proof that his methods are sloppy?"  I see MIB saying he doesn't do good follow up to see if the people were ever found.  I think the longer a person is missing in a wilderness area the less likely they will ever turn up.  Is Paulides really that negligent, or is he just someone being targeted? looking for something on him?  He catalogs disappearances in parks and has a difficult investigation, having to cross hurdles to dig up this stuff.

David Paulides will be on Sasquatch Chronicles later this month.

Edited by jayjeti

• 9 months later...
;;;;If a particular case piques your curiosity or resonates in some way, investigate it yourself.   The internet is a pretty wonderful thing for such activities.  If you can't find the specific information you should at least be able to find out who to contact.MIB

Good advice. But you may be in for a surprise when you start paying attention and then discover more incidents that fit the pattern Paulides' describes, barely hit the media for a day or two and then are completely forgotten. And I'm talking about disappearances that aren't in the 411 Missing series.

• 2 months later...
Admin

Paulides is going to be on Coast To Coast this coming Sunday night/Monday morning (31 July/1 August). From what they teased, he has a new 411 book coming out.