The Shape Of A Face

hiflier

Honeslty it makes sense to me that they vary just as much as we do. Think about the differences between you and your cousins. I am easily the largest person in my family at 6'1" and knocking around 265 lbs. One cousin, granted she is female, is 5'and sopping wet with rocks in her pocket might weigh 110 lbs. Her brother is 5'8" and weighs probably 300 lbs, most of his is in the mid section. My brother, while being similar in stature to, slightly smaller, looks very little like me. Or I like him rather, he is older. Different hair in every aspect of hair. So perhaps they ar varied just like us. Sure there are families that have many similarites, but also probably families that are different.

Hello H22826,

True enough. Those comments like you have your father's eyes or your mother's chin or your great grandfather's hair are not uncommon. So far no one has said to me, "Did you know you look just like a Marine Iguana?" LOL.

Hello Hx22826,

There's a member here who has mentioned that Sasquatch is three different species. And anciently hails from three different continents. Europe, Africa and Asia. Different hair color etc. and that grey hair, like Humans is a sign of age. We've had some interesting talks but I've never thought to ask about face shapes and if they are a distinctive to the three species as hair color and texture, length etc.. I gotta tell ya, it's an enormous amount of stuff to keep track of and try to gain a leg up on the big picture when it comes to patterns and styles. 

Edited by hiflier

Hello Hx22826,

There's a member here who has mentioned that Sasquatch is three different species. And anciently hails from three different continents. Europe, Africa and Asia. Different hair color etc. and that grey hair, like Humans is a sign of age. We've had some interesting talks but I've never thought to ask about face shapes and if they are a distinctive to the three species as hair color and texture, length etc.. I gotta tell ya, it's an enormous amount of stuff to keep track of and try to gain a leg up on the big picture when it comes to patterns and styles.

I would be curious to find oUT what this member based this off of. Seeing as how the species in general isn't officially recognized.

Hello HX22826,

No it isn't officially recognized. And the info would be interesting to me as well. It would be just as interesting though to hear which species sports Ape-like faces or canines if there are those kinds of distinctions that separate the species. It could be an avenue to shed some light on whether or not the three populate areas that overlap and so face shapes vary inside any given region.

Looks like some research might be in order.

I know this has been said here but:  I'd expect a lot of variance.  Think of us.

When something is pretty much unchallenged in the food web - and no, when you're in denial that something is real, it pretty much doesn't have to worry about you - appearance (primarily from a functional standpoint) becomes less important.  When something is highly intelligent, and can use attributes other than size and form to attract mates (um...think Bill Gates), even less important.  One chimp, one gorilla, varies from another a lot more than one buck, or one bull, does from another for these reasons.  So do we.

For what it's worth:  The Canadian artist Robert Bateman made his sasquatch, facially, a gorilla, particularly the nose:

http://www.artcountrycanada.com/images/bateman-sasquatch-cropped.jpg

Don't know what his sources were.  But at the 2009 Texas Bigfoot Conference I told Bindernagel that there are a lot of reports of human-shaped noses, only broader and flatter.  He was surprised.

Hiflier,

Yeah I'm curious as well. I've always questioned the dog faced ones. Something just doesn't sit right about those. But yes, very interested to see the results of this.

Hello DWA,

DWA said: "When something is pretty much unchallenged in the food web - and no, when you're in denial...."

Please don't bring the denial rhetoric here. Other than that your input is good on this. I'd like to hear more about your talk with Bindernagel as well regarding his reaction to facial differences like the nose.

The previous post was strange because it didn't capture the whole post. This one does. 

Edited by hiflier

What I read in the witness accounts, over, and over, and over...is "it looked like a human face", or a similar description emphasizing the similarities to a human face, not the differences. This, coupled with mostly a lack of any specifics about the nose, leads me to conclude your typical Sasquatch has a human-like honker. The artist recreations most usually include a hooded nostril, with no noticeable flattening. This fact also leads me to believe these are not created hoaxes as the hoaxer, we would predict, is going to opt for the most fearsome feature possible...a flattened and flared primate nose. Some of the artist depictions look like a homeless guy after a particularly bad night, nothing very pongid about them, particularly.

And then there is Patty, or Type Specimen...nothing particularly aberrant about her schnoz either.

I think the appearance of the average Sasquatch is currently the strongest evidence running against the argument these are great apes, and not a species of Hominid.

Do gotta say that descriptions of the face seem to diverge rather markedly from the known pongids, even as other characters seem to run with them.  (Even bipedality is more prevalent among known apes than a lot of people think.)

It'll be a matter for taxonomy.  I'm prepared for a branch separate from both the great apes and us, possibly extending an "extinct" line into the present.

Maybe.  And I am not sure that is what it will be.  Could be the robust australopithecines; could be a line for which no fossils have yet been found.