Sasquatch Odor Trap?

hiflier

Hello All,

Most of you know that threads that I initiate are typically geared toward ways to produce a BF in some fashion or another. This thread is no exception. Tree knocking, call blasting, howling ala Bobo, and other methods of trying to elicit a BF response have been methods normally tried. But what about scent?

Hunters that use scent products to cover their own Human scent range from deer urine to skunk odors. It makes me wonder about hunters that have encounters and whether or not those few incidents were a result of using a Human scent-masking product. In following that idea since strong, rather unpleasant odors have been detected in the woods- sometimes even during encounters by non-hunters- does anyone think that a product that imitates the described complex odor of a Sasquatch would draw one in?

Hunters use aroma products not only to mask their own scent but also use scent lures to draw in their quarry. Studies conducted by researchers using bears in captivity made different concoctions to see how bears would respond. Thedifferent ingredients were added to logs with one log untreated as a control. The bears were let out to see what their responses were.

Amazingly enough it was discovered that the logs treated with "Eau de Skunk" elicited a rolling response in which the bears simply dropped and rolled on the treated logs. What would this say about reports of BF's smelling like skunk and/or mixtures of other odors like old socks, musty smells, feces like dirty diapers etc..

Could a concoction of such odors, light or heavy be a better attractanct to a Sasquatch than any mechanical, or Human-produced sounds? One would think that aromas would have a more powerful effect downwind from a hunter/researcher than anything else. Thoughts?

Hello Old Dog,

Aw yeah man, shop that job out for sure! Leave it to you to see the practical side of things ;)

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

A couple of things to consider about the complexity of the odor. For one thing apparently a lot of predators use a skunk odor as a method of reducing the alert levels of prey and I think most of you can reason out why. So what happened to a BF who smells like that? Did an omnivore, who was an opportunistic hunter perhaps in a state of hunger, see a skunk and pounce on it with the expected results? Or did it stumble onto a dead skunk killed by maybe a coyote and roll on the carcass? It would pick up not only the skunk's defensive spray, which would be everywhere, but also maybe it's feces, and the musty dead leaves and dead vegetation of the forest floor.

I can see where this would be a reason for the complicated "aroma" reported by witnesses. If it was a result from actually attacking and killing the skunk itself then rolling around to get rid of the worst of the scent could have the same odorous result. It begs the next question then of whether or not the BF did anything on purpose: killed the skunk and got the odor, killed the skunk to GET the odor (and lunch), or found the skunk and took the natural route of simply rolling on it.

In either case It wouldn't seem that the ploy was to hunt the witness as much as a hunt may have been interrupted by the witness. Or that the BF thought the witness was something else until it saw the witness. If that was the situation then one would think that a smelly BF is perhaps a hungry BF? Doesn't sound like a safe position to be in if you ask me. In fact, even if it isn't a BF, a skunk smell in the wild wouldn't seem to be a safe situation at all.

Edited by hiflier

There are two classes of odor.  Those you can consciously smell with your nose, generally the byproducts of bodily functions; and pheromones, chemicals specifically evolved to carry a message, which you subconsciously pick up and respond to via the auxiliary vameronasal organ in your nose.

Many people feel that the vameronasal organ is actually the more powerful of the two.  It certainly facilitates many of the most primal functions, such as the attraction of viable mates and the order of dominance between members of the same gender.  Pheromones are so powerful that they elicit actual physical responses in people and animals.  Attraction, arousal, avoidance, etc.  When women live in close proximity to each other, the cycles of the less dominant women actually shift to coincide with that of the most dominant woman.

With regard to attraction, a study was done quite a while ago in a dentist's waiting room.  Patients were scheduled so that only one would be present in the waiting room at a time.  A single chair was sprayed with Adrostenone, the male pheromone that causes more dominant males to bristle and less dominant males to behave deferentially.  It is also the pheromone that attracts females most strongly.  During the test, every man who entered the waiting room sat as far away from the sprayed chair as possible.  Every woman who entered the room chose to sit in the chair that was sprayed with Androstenone.

The female equivalent is Androstenol, but there is a subclass of female pheromones called copulins, which are primarily produced during periods of fertility.

Pheromones are conveyed mostly in our sweat and in the urine and body oils of humans and other animals as well.  This is why some animal rub against surfaces to leave their scents and others urinate to mark a spot.  There are a few reports of male bigfoot acting aggressively when a human has urinated on something.  One where a guy was urinating in a clump of bushes and the bigfoot hiding there stood up and swatted him - another where a guy had urinated in a particular spot before going to sleep and woke up to a bigfoot urinating on him.

Bottom line is that I would procure some male and female pheromones and use the male ones to elicit a competitive male response and the female ones (a blend of androstenol and copulins) as an attractant for the males.  You'll want to use the purer, more concentrated versions without added fragrances.

Hiflier

Are you familiar with the Don Young story with him spending all night in a tree...? It's in the 'Scariest Stories' thread. I'll bump it back up, as it's a great thread...

Hello JDL,

Good info, thanks for taking the time. With Sasquatch though there can only be guesswork. But since it lives in the wild I think it OK to assume it acts like an animal and learns from animals. It wouldn't last long, nor would any other creature, if it wasn't observant and couldn't learn the best techniques for survival in order to feed itself and it's close relations. That said the skunk roll could be seen as a more universal odor to incorporate whereas the world of pheromones is more selective between species.

In other words, I see skunk (or skunk cabbage!) rolling as an active method of predation. In saying that I can see a certain elevated risk involved regarding the researcher in that a territorial alpha male may smell it and thing another has encroached on it's territory for the purposes of hunting. Might not be too good for the researcher. BUT! it could be good for the hunter.

@ the parkie,

Hey, that would be great as I'm not familiar at all with the thread. Thanks.

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

So. Odor trap. Think skunk. Think road kill.

A plan: Scoop up a dead skunk off the road with a flat shovel and shove it into a airtight bag. Take it into the woods and dump the carcass about 20 feet out in front of a trail cam. It'll mask the supposed plastic smell of the trail cam that everyone complains about. It may then become a spot where creatures come to roll on it, Including Ol' Stinky who, if not stinky before the rolling will DEFINITELY be stinky afterwards! Then if one wishes to check the cam go in when the wind is blowing at one's back. If there is a skunky smell on the way to the camera then you're being followed.

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

The flip side to this is that Sasquatch simply got a face full of something it hates. Smelling like a skunk could be the LAST thing it wants which would mean it tripped over one at night and swore it's fool head off- after it picked up the skunk by the tail and pummeled it into the nearest tree  trunk that is.... ;)

Admin

So. Odor trap. Think skunk. Think road kill.

How about just a stink bomb?

Y'all may want to rethink this "draw them in w/a smell" idea.  From the scariest Bigfoot stories thread:

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

My vote definitely goes to the poor fellow who spent a night up a tree soiling his drawers after dragging pheromone chips and a used tampon around a pond to "try and draw them in".

You can read the rest over there! :)
Edited by Trogluddite

HIflier, there have been scent and pheromone traps used in the past by researchers and they have produced really lack luster results.  Maybe they just haven't hit upon the right combo of materials to lure the big guy to the spot they need them to be, or perhaps there was no subject in the area.  I would imagine that the terrain and wind direction would have a lot to do with one's results with this bait method.  I imagine one would need a way to determine how far the scent would carry and in what directions it would flow to be effective as a lure.  Plus, if there is no Sasquatch close enough to smell it, you're not going to get any results and would therefore figure the experiment a failure.  This is something that has to be carefully thought out and planned, then executed on a basis that can be duplicated over and over to determine results.  Good luck with your venture and keep us posted as to results.

Hello Old Dog,

MY venture!! I don't own guns. There is no way I'd attempt this without being adequately armed to kill. This proposal is a pro-kill set up and a very risky one at that. I say this just so anyone who may have thought this a frivolous idea could perhaps think differently? Even just getting the "package" into the woods for a trail cam shot is fraught with danger. 

Edited by hiflier

You're not proposing that you get yourself sprayed by a skunk, put yourself out there as bait, and then shoot the Squatch when it tries to eat you?

If you are, can I watch?