Reasons To Be Doubtful

Lake County Bigfooot

Well I've always said I get my best ideas from other people LCB, lol Yes, I've seen the teepee type structure in your avatar on a number of occasions. The one that got me was the arch. It was a living tree that was about 13ft tall and the top had been pruned and stuck into the ground. It looked like a mini St.Louis Arch at only 6ft. tall at it's apex. If that wasn't enough, a dead tree rested on top of it, going uphill, that had moss growing on the trunk. At that point I was like...  really?

Edited by WesT

Guest Crowlogic

When considering wood knocking the question needs to be asked how prevalent was it in the pre bigfoot consciousness days.  There is BTW a vocalization chipmunks  make that is a dead ringer for a wood knock.  In any event the modality and nature of "bigfoot research"  is as mired in the need to produce results/evidence as any other research pursuit.  In my own field research I was directed to make observations of and collect samples of the subject under the umbrella of the  research grant making it possible.  My field notes and observations were critical but without the samples they were hollow.   

Bigfoot research has faced the perennial problem of not being able to directly produce a sample from the subject of the research.  However in these times with so many bigfoot researchers out there on the internet we need something to entice the watcher of the video or listener to the podcast to act as a surrogate draw for the actual research subject.  So enter the wood knock, rock and pine cone tossing and now there's a physical  aspect to the intangible  beast.  The advantage the bigfoot researcher has using these modern parlor tricks is that they're easy to do.  

Any father's son or daughter can go out to the woods with dad and dad can tell them OK sweetie you stay right here and and I'll go off a little ways and when you hear me knock I want you to knock on the tree just like I told you to.  Dad rolls the go pro recorder pans the woods and hey we got wood knocks and they sounded pretty close by.  Now change the wood knocking to pine cones and the same scenario is played out.  Ever wonder why we don't get videos of real boulders and tree trunks hurled at the researchers in spite of bigfoot said to be doing that stuff?  Well humans really can't hurl those things very convincingly.  Hmmm maybe a trebuchet is needed to really make it convincing.  Make noises and toss things and you won't need to make a suit or tracks either.

Southernyahoo,

Are you speaking of actual events that have led to the belief that it is avoiding cams or describing a "what if" scenario? I just want to be clear.

I'm not familiar with what people are using to record audio, are they totally silent when capturing audio or do they emit electronic static of some sort?

In my case, and my group, the experiment described is ongoing and we have had the result of having no visits with cameras attending the audio recorders and with visits to the others unattended. Also have had the result of no pics  when the bait has been taken and the visitor recorded on audio. Sometimes you can blame the camera for not triggering or one could conclude there was something odd about the visitor, espescially when it triggers on people the next morning.

The digital audio recorders don't seem to emit any frequency nor do they smell any different from a camera. (plastics and circuit boards)

.  There is BTW a vocalization chipmunks  make that is a dead ringer for a wood knock. 

And you can also mistake a bigwheel for a harley if you never go outside and only had one described to you.

What kind of bait was taken? Was it right in front of the camera? Is it possible a bird of prey could have swooped in and taken it?

Little smokey sausage links on one occasion was taken right in front of the camera. The audio indicated something on the ground. Large heavy steps on leaf litter doesn't strike me as avian.

response to Crowlogic, agreed it is very easy to hoax woodknocks, you just have to take me at my word that I did not
hoax my recordings, and I think it is very apparent from them it is wood on wood, not only that but they correspond to
vocalizations, firstly to the siren then the coyotes, also to that moaning sound I presented at the outset of the thread.
I do not suggest that it has to be Sasquatch, but I have to date not been able to pin it on my neighbors. It certainly is
possible that a human is involved, but when I look at the time of the events, and how the events correlate to other wildlife
I certainly have to wonder why someone is out there doing it, and why animals seem to respond or not care about it.

The rock throwing or tree crashing down, who knows maybe it was circumstantial, I do not need to explain those, but

the whoops and the woodknocking defy my logic. It might be logical if I could figure out the culprit by prints or by finding

an audio recording that matches what I heard being identified with another animal or bird, so far that is not the case.

Have you listened to the whoops #1 & #3 at Stan Courtneys Bigfoot sounds, that is the best recording of what I heard,

both a higher whoooop and a lower whoooo. It would be a relief if someone could tell me this is a known specie.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

An alleged bigfoot wood knock sounds too flat? No problem. Bigfoot now use their hands to create flat sounding wood knocks. Of course, why wouldn't they? Urban legends and myths morph to resist the intrusion of reality. Awesome, I love stuff like this.
". . .  but this is what has been observed, a researcher knocks, the responses come back rather quickly, more quickly than would be suggested by the necessity to find a likely stick, find a likely tree and hit it. The logical conclusion to that is that a creature is making it with a part of their body that is permanently on hand. "

Flashman, I returned alone to a wilderness area with casting material to cast some 17 inch bare footprints I had found earlier.  I wasn't sure if I could find it again, but I parked at the right depression along the unpaved forest road and headed in and found it.  On my way in I heard two wood knocks from the direction of my vehicle.  After I poured some casts I attempted two wood knocks, but the stick broke on the second swing and really made no noise.  Within about a second after that I heard a single wood knock. 

It was like you're saying and many have reported, that the return knocks seem to come too quickly for one to find a good stick and hit a tree, and some theorize they can make that sound themselves somehow to explain this phenomenon.  Where I made the casts seems to maybe be a regular route due to many stick formations, arches, and I found a blind made of all broken branches in that same general area.

To those who think its so easy to hoax wood knocks, there was absolutely no one out there in this wilderness area when I received an immediate return knock.  To hoax that someone would need to be standing at the ready with a stick with the anticipation that someone might make a wood knock that they could immediately return.

Edited by jayjeti

Agreed, my point exactly previously. It does not make sense that someone is sitting for hours and days waiting to chime in that way, whether responding to humans or in my recordings case to coyotes. Has anyone heard of them wood banging like in my recordings, hard slams in response to coyotes, granted we do not have much hard wood on the edge of the marsh here, so it sounds a bit more rotten wood like. Check out the strange holler, I looped it 10 times, sounds more primate than canid, hard to reconcile this one as the pitch is so clear and high, try to imitate it, not that easy.....LAST TWO ARE LOUD SO BE CAREFUL

sirens coyotes tree knocks.mp3

five wood knocks.mp3

Banging Moan Howl.mp3

hollering call loop.mp3

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

DWA, could you please link to some of these reports where people claim to witness a bigfoot doing the wood knock?  Thanks.

Here is a sighting from Florida, with Bigfoot seen striking a tree with a long stick.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=37275

After about 300 yards, near a small clearing, he could see what he thought was a large man in a ghillie hunting suit, banging a large pine tree with a 3' to 4' stick/branch. Quickly he realized this was far too big to be a man, and the ghillie suit was actually hair. He described the animal as appx 8 feet tall, reddish brown in color with some grey, massive chest and arm muscles, longer than a normal torso and shorter, tough and powerful legs. The face was flat, a slight peak at the top of the head, long arms, and the hair was shorter on its back, calves, and face. It would strike the tree with the stick that it held in one hand.

southernyahoo I have heard such hollering recorded in the PNW at the Browns property,

It could simply be a vocally talented human, but again the time of night I am recording

this stuff and the inflection, pitch, and tonal quality strike me as unusual. If coyotes

can make that sort of hollering vocal I have not heard it before. This recording did occur

around the same time coyotes were vocalizing in the area, but I had some other strange

sounds that day, this was the one I isolated because it stood out as non canid.

Personally, I thought the Jacobs' photo was compelling.

This GIF shows the creature approaching the bait, the same creature bending down to smell the bait, and a bear cub that also came by to investigate the bait.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=jacobs+creature+photos&view=detailv2&&id=162BE2D0A3AC2F5DB208DE6B2D85F8482CBC751D&selectedIndex=0&ccid=MfU32LhX&simid=608048223216600916&thid=OIP.M31f537d8b8571219cda904bde130a53cH0&ajaxhist=0

Really, that surprises me. I subscribed to the mangy bear theory.

LCB , I have an exact match to that hollering call loop.  I likewise don't feel it is a coyote or owl and is more like a person.

attachicon.gifSTMN whooo call.wav

Those calls sound very similar.  Without sophisticated voice analysis I couldn't say they were identical, but they sure are close. 

On the topic of wood knocks; in my case I think it would be very difficult to see what is doing the knocking as it occurs at night in a very heavily wooded forest/swamp area.  This would also make it very difficult to find tracks or other signs.  There are literally millions of acres of woods that border or are near the property where I have recorded knocks.  Most of the area is national forest lands or Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.  I highly doubt there is someone out there with a child coaxing them to knock on trees at 2:00 a.m.  The mosquitoes would devour them.

As far as wood knocking reports being more recent, it might be people are more detailed in their descriptions of more recent encounters.  The internet has not only been a way to make people more aware of sightings, but it also has provided a way for people to report incidents that are fresh in their memories and include more details.