Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

Quite the impressive plea to authority you've got going there.

Still using "plea" and "pleading" to belittle proponents I see. I think you can do better than stoop to such tactics Crow. Could be a good time to perhaps raise your personal bar?

Bigfoot skepticism is, in its entirety, a plea to authority.  You guys always point to people who bluster and dismiss and puff:  I AM A SCIENTIST!  That's the classic plea to authority.

The people proponents appeal to have applied science to the evidence.

See the difference?  Why do I already know the answer to my own question?

Remember:  we know.  You don't.  And all we're doing is stomping on you in glee.  We know you aren't someone we need to convince.  We know that no one who disagrees with us is a person we need to convince.

Edited by DWA

Today in Bigfoot History | JAN 05 | 5 Primatologist Advocate Bigfoot

Posted by Guy Edwards

http://www.bigfootlunchclub.com/2009/01/today-in-bf-history-jan-05.html

THE SCIENTISTS:JANE GOODALL A world-famous primate researcher and author, she revealed, in studies of chimpanzees in Tanzania’s Gombe National Park, surprising behaviors in humanity’s closest living relative. Goodall has won numerous international awards for her contributions to conservation, anthropology and animal welfare. Currently affiliated with Cornell University, she serves as the National Geographic Society’s explorer-in-residence.GEORGE SCHALLER

International science director for the Wildlife Conservation Society. His pioneering field studies of mountain gorillas set the research standard later adopted by Goodall and gorilla researcher Dian Fosse. Schaller’s 1963 book, “The Year of the Gorilla,†debunked popular perceptions of the great ape and reintroduced “King Kong†as a shy, social vegetarian.

Schaller’s studies of tigers, lions, snow leopards and pandas also advanced the knowledge of those endangered mammals.

In 1973, he won the National Book Award for “The Serengeti Lion: A Study of Predator-Prey Relations,†and in 1980 was awarded the World Wildlife Fund Gold Medal for his contributions to the understanding and conservation of endangered species.During the past decade, he has focused on the little-known wildlife of Mongolia, Laos and the Tibetan Plateau.RUSSELL MITTERMEIER

A trained primatologist, herpetologist and biologicalanthropologist, he has discovered five new species of monkey,including two last year. Mittermeier has conducted fieldwork in more than 20 countries around the tropical world, with special emphasis on Brazil, Guyana and Madagascar.

Since 1989, Mittermeier has served as president of Conservation International, which has become one of the most aggressive and effective conservation organizations in the world during the last decade. His publications include 10 books and more than 300 scientific papers and popular articles.DARIS SWINDLER

Emeritus professor of anthropology at the University of Washington, Swindler is a leading expert on living and fossil primate teeth and one of the top primate anatomists in general.His book, “An Atlas of Primate Gross Anatomy,†has become a standard reference in the field. A forensic anthropologist, Swindler worked on the Ted Bundy and Green River murder cases along with hundreds of others.ESTEBAN SARMIENTO

A functional anatomist affiliated with the American Museum of Natural History, Sarmiento focuses on the skeletons of hominids.In 2001, he participated with George Schaller in a search forCongo’s Bili ape, a possible species super-chimp reported by natives but unknown to Western science. Sarmiento has also studied the Cross River gorilla, a critically endangered subspecies on the Nigeria-Cameroon border whose population is thought to be numbered in the hundreds. He has taught in the U.S., South Africa and Uganda.

It's not a "plea to authority" logical fallacy....your twisting it.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/21/Appeal_to_Authority

It's a real list of five real scientists whose expertise is pertinent to the existence of an unknown hominid. Why are they on the list?

Because they all have spoken favorably about the possible existence of Sasquatch.

You may find the possibility ludicris? But they keep an open mind and would be willing to look at further evidence.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Most of the list are in their 80s or dead.    While they might have gone so far out on the limb to suggest further study,  they are still skeptical for the most part.   If they claimed tomorrow that BF existed, the scientific community would probably just snicker and think they are going senile.   I think a list of more capable and younger scientists willing to fight for their beliefs would be a lot stronger.   Proof of existence will not be an easy process taking on the scientific establishment.  

SSR Team

Even if bigfoot science stalls in the USA, will other countries such as Russia, China, or Canada reach ultimate proof first. Why?

Do they have more bigfoots?

Is their government funding research such as with paid field workers or DNA testing.

Does the public take BF seriously.

A Bigfoot only exists on this continent would be my assertion (true or not).

Other animals have a high likely hood of being significantly different unless you think Almasty is Bigfoot.

It seems there are 2 types of yeti but are they truly similar to a Bigfoot; if so, which one and why?

It seems that the Yowie would be most similar. (but why would that be?)

Ironically there is not much to compare as regards photographs or other evidence (for whatever reasons)

Would you think a Sasquatch Alaska and a Sasquatch type animal in Kamatchka would be the same animal or not ? If not, why not ?

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Even if bigfoot science stalls in the USA, will other countries such as Russia, China, or Canada reach ultimate proof first. Why?

Do they have more bigfoots?

Is their government funding research such as with paid field workers or DNA testing.

Does the public take BF seriously.

A Bigfoot only exists on this continent would be my assertion (true or not).

Other animals have a high likely hood of being significantly different unless you think Almasty is Bigfoot.

It seems there are 2 types of yeti but are they truly similar to a Bigfoot; if so, which one and why?

It seems that the Yowie would be most similar. (but why would that be?)

Ironically there is not much to compare as regards photographs or other evidence (for whatever reasons)

Would you think a Sasquatch Alaska and a Sasquatch type animal in Kamatchka would be the same animal or not ? If not, why not ?

That was what I was asking a theoretical questioner.

My take is not necessarily so, separate in time and space.

The land bridge is a good explanation for human migration but it is not known how long ago a Bigfoot migration to the Americas would have been or if the hybridization that led to Bigfoot occured primarily in the PNW and if migration then happened in reverse (after the original migration theorized from Africa). Gigantism in Australopithecines may have only occured once or multiple times in multiple places, another unknown. Of course the hybridization I'm referring to is gigantism as that is the primary difference between Bigfoot and an Australopithecine, Afarensis, or Homo Habilis type individual (absent skeletal or other evidence).

The Almasty video that everyone seems to believe is CGI indicates a highly similar individual (I don't though, too hard to fake CGI with a foreground obscuring vegetation and background obscured by the subject of interest.

It would seem an Almasty is capable of incredible athletic feats which witnesses often report for bigfoot as well. (in the video you see repeated standing broad jumps from a stationary position of 20 or 30 feet, hopping over wind fallen trees).

I'm not aware of a lot of Almasty descriptions but I assume it is pretty similar.

Habitats are pretty different so the common denominator is that they are very remote and not subject to human interlopers allowing cryptic populations to reside covertly in heavy forest cover.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Guest Crowlogic

^When you know for sure how hoaxing Yeren is dealt with in China lets us know.  Until then speculation you're waving.

Have you ever lived out of New York state?      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China   Now tell me again how likely Chinese people are to lie to their government?     

Now then does that mean fake Yeren report can't happen.  It can happen for the same reason all bigfoot things happen $$$$.  Village/villager claims sighting attention and $$$ flows into town, Happens all the time.  Bigfoot like creatures are impossible to prove or even disprove so faking a simple bigfoot report is about the safest thing a person and lie about.  Can you come up with a single instance where the Russians and Chinese have arrested anyone on such hoaxing?

Now then does that mean fake Yeren report can't happen.

Can you explain, in terms of basic logic, how you can jump from a thing being possible to it being the mandatory explanation for all occurrences?    Have you become a disciple of Giorgio Tsoukalos?   "Could it be that ..." etc.

If that's not your logic, please explain yourself 'cause that's the closest (such as it is) to sense you make.

MIB

How about applying some scientific thinking to the "Huckleberries" thread? Just because science has stalled doesn't mean you have to be. Too much negativity does little to push the subject forward.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

^When you know for sure how hoaxing Yeren is dealt with in China lets us know.  Until then speculation you're waving.

Have you ever lived out of New York state?      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China   Now tell me again how likely Chinese people are to lie to their government?     

Now then does that mean fake Yeren report can't happen.  It can happen for the same reason all bigfoot things happen $$$$.  Village/villager claims sighting attention and $$$ flows into town, Happens all the time.  Bigfoot like creatures are impossible to prove or even disprove so faking a simple bigfoot report is about the safest thing a person and lie about.  Can you come up with a single instance where the Russians and Chinese have arrested anyone on such hoaxing?

You sure stepped in this one.    China has banned April fools day with the threat of criminal prosecution yet you claim the government would be tolerant of hoaxing?.   Three years in prison for even stating something untrue on the internet.   I suggest you avoid travel to China.      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/01/no-joke-april-fools-day-has-been-banned-in-china/    What does the Russian government have to do with the Yeren?   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT
  • Upvote 1

Guest Crowlogic

Now then does that mean fake Yeren report can't happen.

Can you explain, in terms of basic logic, how you can jump from a thing being possible to it being the mandatory explanation for all occurrences?    Have you become a disciple of Giorgio Tsoukalos?   "Could it be that ..." etc.

If that's not your logic, please explain yourself 'cause that's the closest (such as it is) to sense you make.

MIB

Not sure what you mean.  IDoyou mean in the overall bigfoot picture where I became a non believer or in the context of the Yeren and the Chinese law enforcement system?  As a person who no longer believes in bigfoot and it's relatives the only possible reports are either manufactured or mis identification.  In the overall picture much the same applies.  I no longer maintain a belief in such beings.  I

Scientist in Russia are not afraid to put their reputations on the line in search of the Almasty.  With all the attention, it's a matter of time before a body is recovered. Yes, it's frustrating, but science is patient and confident. We should not loose determination, since proof will come forward by the efforts of those here or abroad.

Being a skeptic and giving up is natural when faced with such slippery animal but the determined will put this issue to rest once and for all. When the going gets tough, the determined get going.  

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/russian.htm     read it all ................

The Soviet Academy of Sciences mounted an expedition in 1958, but failed to find its quarry. It did, however, stimulate the curiosity of Marie-Jeanne Koffmann, a French-born surgeon and mountaineer, who had served as an army officer in the Caucasus during the Second World War. She set off to the Caucasus on her own, returning with 40 eyewitness accounts, a fascination with cryptozoology (the study of unknown animal species) and a determination to settle the issue once and for all. With Sylvain Pallix, a journalist and film producer, Dr Koffmann has at last been given her chance. At the age of 72 she is to lead a team of ten Russian and four French scientists.

Mr. Pallix will record their achievements - and, he hopes, their quarry - on film. Their aim is to get close enough to an Almasty to be able to anaesthetize it and take skin, blood, and saliva samples. They also hope to fit their guest with a radio-transmitting bracelet to track its movements. Skeptics fear Dr Koffmann may be disappointed. They point out that, although molds of what is claimed to be an Almasty foot print have been taken, no corpses or skeletons have ever been found. And not all that the locals say about the beast is entirely convincing: glowing eyes, for instance, are rare among primates. Besides, even if the Almasty did exist, it might be on the verge of extinction. Sightings, once fairly frequent, are now rare. The most recent was claimed in August last year by Gregory Pantchenko, a Russian zoologist and one of the expedition's members. He says he watched an Almasty for a minute and a half from about 4 meters away one moonlit night. Unfortunately - you guessed - his camera had no flash. Credit: Paul Cropper

Edited by georgerm

Crow -

I'm already aware of your denialist rhetoric and expect it.   No, I was asking about the tautologically invalid argument you presented which followed Giorgio's normal format.   Sorry if the irony went over your head.

MIB

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic