Bigfoot's Food 9' Up Missing ............ Sardine Can Opened?

georgerm

I agree with you MIB. The nature of habituation does not lend itself to research. I have no fault for someone wanting to experience sasquatch. I know there are experiments that just the fact that an observation is taking place affects the results of the experiment. However, to call most habituation research is a real stretch. Because there is a lot of unsupported guess work going on. If BF is closer to human behavior than animal behavior I can definitely understand the problem. I suggested mink, because I am always surprised at what everyday animals can do. The wire is tied in the ring. Pull on the ring with a little weight and the lid will come off. For me trying to foil squirrels accessing bird feeders was a real eye opener. Bears are just as bad. I will always go to the usual first before going to the unusual. No matter how outlandish the usual would seem. With no evidence to support anything else that's the best course to take.

As an aside, I am in possession of a honey bottle from a supposed BF feeding site. I will be doing a review of it in the research section. But the final possessor of the bottle was a raccoon from the canine marks on it. But that doesn't answer for me what opened it and removed the seal without damage in the 1st place. Just more questions.

Randy, I don't carry casting materials with me either. They're to heavy. They are in my vehicle though. All the tracks I have found were days to weeks old. So didn't have to worry about the weather. One thing I am glad for is that Roger Patterson, Bob Gimlin, and Bob Titmus chose to cover what tracks they could so others had a chance to see them. I don't think even if BF sees us wiping their tracks out would make much difference. The fact that we are wiping them means we've already seen them. I couldn't say if it would be inferred by them that we are wiping the tracks so others won't see them.

Seems like a small mammal would pull the lid open just far enough to get the sardines to slide out. Bigfoot would probably pull the lid all the way off. At this point we don't know. I need to get out there and check soon.

Hi Georgerm,

A Western Spotted Skunk can and does climb trees, eat apples, and pull the lid all the way off of a sardine or cat food can. I have live trapped several spotted skunks here in Oregon using sardines and salmon flavored cat food. And they always pull the lid all the way off.

Here is a snapshot of a spotted skunk in my live trap with a can of salmon flavored cat food with the lid pulled all the way off.

BFF Patron

Well for sure casting destroys a footprint too.        Meldrum wanted one of my footprint finds but other than that,   right now I just want a nice one for my coffee table.   Nice ones are hard to find.    Best I can figure BF does not like muddy feet any more than we do.  

Thanks for that information CM. Could account for the skunk smell at times too.

Randy, yes casting does destroy tracks. In this area any good tracks are hard to come by. I don't think they like walking in snow either. Cold feet!? ;)

Seems like a small mammal would pull the lid open just far enough to get the sardines to slide out. Bigfoot would probably pull the lid all the way off. At this point we don't know. I need to get out there and check soon.

Hi Georgerm,

A Western Spotted Skunk can and does climb trees, eat apples, and pull the lid all the way off of a sardine or cat food can. I have live trapped several spotted skunks here in Oregon using sardines and salmon flavored cat food. And they always pull the lid all the way off.

Here is a snapshot of a spotted skunk in my live trap with a can of salmon flavored cat food with the lid pulled all the way off.

attachicon.gifSpottedSkunkandCan.jpg

Thanks for the reply, and this adds greatly to this field experiment. I suppose a skunk climbing a small tree, then coming down a short wire, grabbing the can, straightening out the wire hook with its weight, and dropping 8' to soft ground is possible.

I went back yesterday and the foods had not been touched. more later........... got to run

• 1 month later...

I went out yesterday to check 4 baits in the trees and 3 were down on the ground. The lids were not pulled off & the sardines were gone. The baits got soggy in the rain.

One bait was still in the tree.

While in the area, a long set of tree knocks started up.        amazing