Winter - Where Do They Go

SSR Team

We got 136/288 actual visual reports from the winter coming from witnesses who have been driving (47%) which is of course very high.

The reports from witnesses from their own property jumps up considerably in the winter too, I'll give you example in a second.

Winter constitutes 16% of all reports in IL, but where Winter reports from people on their own property is concerned in winter, that number jumps to 24%.

In WA those respective numbers go from 13% to 29%.

Admin

I wonder what the average altitude is for sightings in winter....  if its lower elevations, they may simply descend to a less hostile environment.

SSR Team

In MN those respective numbers go from 9% to 13%.

Being in the south I never really gave much thought about migration as the bigfoot here, along with all the other larger animals don't migrate. Even so, it always occurred to me in the more northwest and other northern states going into Canada where they migrate due to more extreme cold weather, that their migration would seriously mess up the sightings and population number guesses. They would be moving out of their normal places and traveling and being seen in numerous counties and states in which they don't  live as they are migrating. This would account for higher population in some areas where thy shouldn't belong. And then seen a few months later on their way back home by even more different people than those that saw them on the way in. I bet this alone counts for some of the more densely populated known areas out that way.

Admin

Plotting the average altitude of summer vs winter reports for WA in the SSR  is interesting...  (y axis is altitude in feet)

wa-alt-avrg-summer.PNG

wa-alt-avrg-winter.PNG

45 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Plotting the average altitude of summer vs winter reports for WA in the SSR  is interesting...  (y axis is altitude in feet)

wa-alt-avrg-summer.PNG

wa-alt-avrg-winter.PNG

G what I see there are sightings above pass elevations in the summer and at or below in the winter. But unless skiers are having sightings, there are fewer people above pass levels in the winter. That might be the difference. 

Admin

Are you trying to claim that the Bigfeet sighted at high elevations during the summer, stay at high elevations during the winter?  :biggrin:

Bigfoots do not all do the same thing.   It's not like there is just one bigfoot and many clones.    In many cases, what one person is asserting is true, what another asserts to disprove it is also true, what is NOT true is the strength of the assumed connection between the two.  

In my region, the SW quarter of Oregon, about 200 miles E-W and 150 miles N-S, there are two separate patterns I've noticed so far.    There's a fairly constant year around "background noise" level of reports and there is are local, brief, repeating seasonal spikes of activity.      Normally I focus on those spikes because they occur in places, at times, where I'm interested in being, not just for bigfoot search / research.   Those probably represent "migratory" groups or local groups shifting into a particular part of their locale for seasonal use.   However, looking at the reverse, removing those spikes, something is real clear: there are bigfoots year around in some places that have particularly inhospitable weather which could migrate out to much more pleasant conditions somewhat easily but don't.

Looking at BFRO reports, I see reports from Dec - Feb where the temperatures are in single digits F.    A 40 - 60 mile walk, something easy enough to do just moseying along with the tail end of summer "vittles", would put them in locations that stay don't often freeze.   Yet ... there are the reports, sightings, howls/screams, tracks, etc.  

Still, I think there should be more reports than there are.   Most of the best (weather-wise) locations in winter have concentrations of human population.   I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle, some food source, some kind of behavior, or maybe failing to recognize some topographical features that are right under our noses here, something that skews the picture away from what we expect it to be.   I think there is an "ah-hah" moment lurking, that we have all the information, we just haven't seen the connection that brings it into focus.

MIB

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MIB said:

I think there is an "ah-hah" moment lurking, that we have all the information, we just haven't seen the connection that brings it into focus

I also think this is so true. We have the pieces. We have discussed nearly all angles of this particular conundrum from cave use and beyond. These creatures are hardy like all animals are but like you say MIB, there's something we are missing. Is it a subterranean aspect like some NA Native peoples say? Is it utilizing South facing slopes to keep out of the harsh winter winds when they blow and so keep to the sunny side of mountain peaks? Do they even need to be inside somewhere or follow that premise?

Yes, I do think there is some piece of this missing regarding how they manage winters. And not just in the PACNW either. We're not seeing the pattern for what it is. That great graphs from the SSR (thanks g.) are pointing to something. But if we end up seeing it then what's up with the rest of the time? An answer to winter may solve  lot of what we can only guess at during the other eight months of the year. And I still think a procreation cycle is a good chunk of that answer.

4 hours ago, gigantor said:

Are you trying to claim that the Bigfeet sighted at high elevations during the summer, stay at high elevations during the winter?  :biggrin:

Not claiming anything. But it's been said many times...  You have to have people to have sightings. Really I can't see how they could survive the years with record breaking snowfall like this winter is turning out to have. Where's the food? What would they eat? Everything is buried under many feet of snow or has moved to lower elevations. Unless we could connect specific weather conditions with sighting reports, which wouldn't be easy because conditions can change on the edges of snowfall week to week or even day to day in some areas, we really would have a hard time interpreting what is going on. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, gigantor said:

Cool!  But how much trouble to change the x axis to average daily temperature, or total daylight hours, or snow depth at some altitude (for all these using some fixed location in WA as opposed to per sighting values).  The number representing day of year does not have any mathematical meaning.  

Then plot the entire year together and lets see what the correlation is then...

Admin
1 hour ago, BigTreeWalker said:

Not claiming anything. But it's been said many times...  You have to have people to have sightings.

I was trying to be sarcastic, but it didn't come out that way, sorry.

6 minutes ago, 1980squatch said:

The number representing day of year does not have any mathematical meaning.

It does, It represents time.

8 minutes ago, 1980squatch said:

But how much trouble to change the x axis to average daily temperature, or total daylight hours, or snow depth at some altitude (for all these using some fixed location in WA as opposed to per sighting values).

Trivial.

But what will it show unless it is in fact a per sighting, fairly accurate value (non-existing data)?

1 hour ago, BigTreeWalker said:

What would they eat? Everything is buried under many feet of snow or has moved to lower elevations

It means a couple of things. The Sasquatch population concentrations at those lower levels is greater. More competition for food and animals that might be more skiddish with any heightened activity. More competition for safe, secure, remote winter shelter. More pressure to perhaps force risky behavior like increased exposure to Humans. And probably many other ideas regarding the Sasquatch transition toward areas already claimed.

In a way it's the same dynamic that a forest fire would have as far as forcing populations of animals into ever tighter environments as the snows creep lower in the colder months. Both could create opportunities for track finds as well as increased sightings along roads aound the perimeters of the affected areas..

Edited by hiflier

2 minutes ago, gigantor said:

It does, It represents time.

Trivial.

But what will it show unless it is in fact a per sighting, fairly accurate value (non-existing data)?

Well, I'm just thinking of the research question at hand, which is how does BF elevation vary with season.  And season can by quantified daily with some of those data items I mentioned.  You don't want the temperature at the sighting - that can vary by 30 degrees per day depending on the hour, and another 30 degrees due to weather fronts from one day to the next.  If the BF has changed elevation due to season, you want the average temp of the day as the variable.  

And temperature may not even be the best one to use since it is not even a ratio number (at least not in F or C), where the snow depth and daylight hours are...

Admin

Oh, I see what you mean.

yeah, as long as I have the dataset for the x-axis, it's nothing.

The problem with daylight hours is that the reports are not that accurate, some are, but most are not. I guess snow depth data is available somewhere, but which location do we use?