Thinker Thunker William Reeve Interview

BigTreeWalker

So we are saying that a professional stunt moped rider with special Tussock mound shocks was airlifted in and was poaching caribou, and was accidentally caught on camera by the Imax crew?

Yah, Wendijo, sometimes the alternatives and suggestions are harder to believe than the possibility that bigfoot exists.

• Upvote 2

I dont get it....why on earth does there have to be a unseen bicycle, moped, whatever?

Probably the most likely explanation, in my humble view.

If you saw a bike we wouldn't be having this discussion.

It's unseen if you don't see it.

There is a logical reason you can't see it if you are only seeing the chest arms and head of a human like creature (that may be human). The same reason you don't see a Bigfoots legs, if that is what it is.

Oh I think it's human or human like enough. That just doesn't rule out BF. I have the Great North film on Blue Ray. And can watch the whole film along with the whole scene in question. You cannot pinpoint the turn because the left arm leads the whole time. That means it's not a dude on a bike riding down and away from the viewer. I challenge you and any other viewer to show where the arms swap lead indicating the body turn.

You can't do what the creature is doing on a bike. If it was a guy on a bike you would have frames of the person in perfect side profile. Its not there. That means it is on foot and backed back down the hill.

That fits with the idea it was preying upon the caribou and keeping itself in position to pounce on the caribou as they entered that gulley, be it man or wildman.

As long as we are thinking logically, Mr Reeve has not shown any prior interest in bigfoot, and he seems like a man that would have immediately squashed the idea of this figure being anything but a crew member if he thought there was even a chance it was one of his guys. He knows he doesn't need the controversy surrounding his character.

• Upvote 3

Hey, you guys know me pretty well by now. You know I like to look at things from different angles and so I would present a thought here that may prove interesting:

SIZE. I've been watching where and at what estimated distance the figure is when just before ducking down behind the rise. The herd in front that's running along the water sees a group turn toward the rise where the figure has now ducked all the way down. As the herd gets closer to the spot the Caribou obviously seem to get smaller and smaller with distance. Almost at the rise they turn to the right. At that point one can somewhat judge the size of the guy-on-bike? IMO the figure is not small. I can only judge shoulder width and maybe head size but still....

Oh yeah, pick it apart because I wasn't there with a ruler ;)

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Oh I think it's human or human like enough. That just doesn't rule out BF. I have the Great North film on Blue Ray. And can watch the whole film along with the whole scene in question. You cannot pinpoint the turn because the left arm leads the whole time. That means it's not a dude on a bike riding down and away from the viewer. I challenge you and any other viewer to show where the arms swap lead indicating the body turn.

You can't do what the creature is doing on a bike. If it was a guy on a bike you would have frames of the person in perfect side profile. Its not there. That means it is on foot and backed back down the hill.

That fits with the idea it was preying upon the caribou and keeping itself in position to pounce on the caribou as they entered that gulley, be it man or wildman.

There were so many good posts directly preceding this one that I got carried away and used up a lot of upvotes. 

Would give you many hundreds for this one (and every other one you've ever made), if I could.  

Hey, you guys know me pretty well by now. You know I like to look at things from different angles and so I would present a thought here that may prove interesting:

SIZE. I've been watching where and at what estimated distance the figure is when just before ducking down behind the rise. The herd in front that's running along the water sees a group turn toward the rise where the figure has now ducked all the way down. As the herd gets closer to the spot the Caribou obviously seem to get smaller and smaller with distance. Almost at the rise they turn to the right. At that point one can somewhat judge the size of the guy-on-bike? IMO the figure is not small. I can only judge shoulder width and maybe head size but still....

Oh yeah, pick it apart because I wasn't there with a ruler ;)

Good point, hiflier! Most of us, I believe, instinctively recognize that what you say is true; but I think some of us have gotten so distracted by contending with the uninformed comments about the video that we've overlooked this very important point as the good argument it is (along with the many, many others) as to the authenticity of the video. Thanks for elevating this to consciousness! 

Thanks for the kind words LeafTalker. If I may elaborate on the point a bit? When the herd is in the foreground they demonstrate a certain general size. For an adult male and female height and weight ranges can be estimated here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribou

At distance maybe those size ranges can be used to better estimate the size of the figure in the video? Also even though movement appears to be left to right it more seems that the figure is not really moving parallel to the herd but instead is angling toward it as there is always a shoulder angle as opposed to only a side view. It looks like the angle of approach is at least at 25-30 degrees in it's advance toward the water/ land rise. We really do need a satellite view of this area with a topo overlay.

The habitat is not optimal for most humans, the adapted Inuit have done well through their reliance on caribou and sea mammals. Found a quote from the film in one review: "Over a million strong, the (caribou) herds of northern Quebec and Labrador are the largest assembly of migrating mammals on Earth."

I bought the dvd to see if any further information jumps out at me.

The film-maker said he sees two more, look for them.

I still think it was a local poaching and hid when he saw the film crew. See if there are any overhead helio camera shots.

There definitely is some over head helo shots in the film. Also the Inuit use motorcycles and helicopters at times to do their round ups and harvest of caribou. 

Here is some other observations of the scene in which the figure appears. 

1. At the beginning of the scene, there is a young white caribou that is running back from the gully towards the camera and opposite the direction of the migration and other groups that had made it through the gully. It looks like it is scared and going as fast as it can.

2. The herd had been broken up and various groups are going in different directions, as if something had definitely interfered with their intended coarse.

3. An adult caribou climbs out of the gully on the far side and stops , looks back towards the gully as if it is waiting on a calf perhaps. It finally turns and heads on. The Documentary does say that about 70% of the new born calves don't survive their first migration. Mostly due to predators like bears and wolves. Other scenes show that the new born calves stay right at the mothers side when they are on the move like this.

I think a poacher would have taken an adult, not a calf if some sort of kill happened. But a natural predator would have taken the smaller and slower ones.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

The habitat is not optimal for most humans, the adapted Inuit have done well through their reliance on caribou and sea mammals. Found a quote from the film in one review: "Over a million strong, the (caribou) herds of northern Quebec and Labrador are the largest assembly of migrating mammals on Earth."

I bought the dvd to see if any further information jumps out at me.

I still think it was a local poaching and hid when he saw the film crew. See if there are any overhead helio camera shots.

There definitely is some over head helo shots in the film. Also the Inuit use motorcycles and helicopters at times to do their round ups and harvest of caribou. 

1. At the beginning of the scene, there is a young white caribou that is running back from the gully towards the camera and opposite the direction of the migration and other groups that had made it through the gully. It looks like it is scared and going as fast as it can.

2. The herd had been broken up and various groups are going in different directions, as if something had definitely interfered with their intended coarse.

3. An adult caribou climbs out of the gully on the far side and stops , looks back towards the gully as if it is waiting on a calf perhaps. It finally turns and heads on. The Documentary does say that about 70% of the new born calves don't survive their first migration. Mostly due to predators like bears and wolves. Other scenes show that the new born calves stay right at the mothers side when they are on the move like this.

I think a poacher would have taken an adult, not a calf if some sort of kill happened. But a natural predator would have taken the smaller and slower ones.

Good observation, I was checking out the predator response of the herd as well.

I've been watching this short, clear version to see if I could find what the filmmaker said was two more in the distance moving in a similar manner to the subject in question, but I can't discern any.

I noticed that. At first, I thought it might be a wolf or coyote, but yeah, it appears to be a calf.

You can see some behind and in front of the figure scampering up and away from the gully. Something was definitely moving down that gully that spooked them.

I see what you are referring to. It came out of the gully too, so maybe it's waiting on the lone calf we see earlier. I notice once we see the figure in question, no more Caribou enter the gully and seem to make sure to avoid it.

I have no idea if a kill took place or not. If it is a poacher poking up and seeing the filmcrew, then hiding again, I highly doubt they took a shot.

Something I noticed in the youtube clip I included, early in you can see a close up shot of the herd. The filmmaker said they would never put someone in a position the possible bigfoot/poacher/biker is in as it would be too dangerous, but we see the closeup, very closeup of the herd. I suppose it could be a remote camera, even though it pans.

You can create closeups at least two different ways with a single camera. You either zoom in with a servo motor zoom, or you scale up a section of the frame during editing. An imax image, according to Reeve, has ten times the information in it that ordinary film has. This means you can scale up the image without any visible degradation of that image, creating the illusion that you have used two cameras to create the two different shots (the so-called wide shot and the close up).

I noticed the Someby, the natives that are herding the caribou wear very colorful clothing. Easily seen even at a distance. Their faces are light colored. Also easily seen at a distance. I also noticed the Someby wore colorful helmets when riding their motorcycles.

My son was able to use his computer to clearly zoom in on the movie. There is a face that pops up in the area the light colored caribou is running from. It's in the bushes. It's about 60 to 65 frames before the individual runs out of the gully.

The individual in the gully appears to be running and trying to retain his balance with his arms. Since his arms are waving about you can tell he's not hanging onto any handlebars. There is one frame where what looks like a couple small legs flip out away from the individual's back then back in again. The individual then turns directly away from the camera and appears to hunch down and just stop moving. The individual's shoulders lighten up slightly as it turns and the sun catches them. I noticed the caribou backs also lightened up as the sun shines on them.

About that time in the vicinity above the individual two more black somethings pop up and disappear back into the bushes. One after another.

These individuals are black but lighten up slightly in the sun.

Watching the film that way is better than anything I've seen offered on YouTube.

The individuals are humanlike, so that doesn't rule out humans or bigfoot. The problem I have is the same as Norseman's, I don't see how bigfoot would survive the winters in that country.

Some of the camera shots look close enough that the crew could have been sitting among the caribou while they were resting. It doesn't look that dangerous to be close and filming them, though if they were in a full run, and close together they might not see you before they run over you. Most of the time it looks like they do just steer away from people. I don't think I would deliberately hide in a gully directly in their path thinking I would just knock them down if they tried to run over me.

BigTreeWalker, tell your Son nice work. Interesting observations. I know there's no way to determine any sizes using objects on the ground but perhaps a size comparison to the Caribou themselves? It would only be comparative in the sense of "smaller than" or "as big as" or "bigger than" relative to members of the herd but it might help. The reason is that, Human or not, the shoulder width just before the individual ducks down is rather wide looking.

Also, when I was first looking at the video I saw what looked like a whitish area in the face area and thought it might be the eye opening slit in a guillie suit- even though a guillie suit is unlikely and as seen would stick out like a sore thumb. In other words, wrong camo for the environment. Your Son's observations though say it's sun reflection which shouldn't occur off of camo clothing?

Edited by hiflier

I thought about a size comparison. But looking at the depth of field in that shot I think it would be useless. Can't tell how close that gully is or how wide. Too two dimensional. The caribou in the background look like they're a mile away. If there was a caribou close to the edge of the gully then we could do a size comparison. But they are either in front or behind.

I mentioned the sun reflection because it seems to look the same on some of the darker caribou backs. So if it is the same we are comparing fur to fur or hair. But that is just a visual comparison only. It is just an observation.

I noticed the Someby, the natives that are herding the caribou wear very colorful clothing. Easily seen even at a distance. Their faces are light colored. Also easily seen at a distance. I also noticed the Someby wore colorful helmets when riding their motorcycles.

My son was able to use his computer to clearly zoom in on the movie. There is a face that pops up in the area the light colored caribou is running from. It's in the bushes. It's about 60 to 65 frames before the individual runs out of the gully.

The individual in the gully appears to be running and trying to retain his balance with his arms. Since his arms are waving about you can tell he's not hanging onto any handlebars. There is one frame where what looks like a couple small legs flip out away from the individual's back then back in again. The individual then turns directly away from the camera and appears to hunch down and just stop moving. The individual's shoulders lighten up slightly as it turns and the sun catches them. I noticed the caribou backs also lightened up as the sun shines on them.

About that time in the vicinity above the individual two more black somethings pop up and disappear back into the bushes. One after another.

These individuals are black but lighten up slightly in the sun.

Watching the film that way is better than anything I've seen offered on YouTube.

The individuals are humanlike, so that doesn't rule out humans or bigfoot. The problem I have is the same as Norseman's, I don't see how bigfoot would survive the winters in that country.

Well, they don't have to stay there. Laughing, but halfway serious. They could just be there for yummy calves, then back to the boreal forests.

I've only watched a bit on an old tv, will try your suggestion. I saw two? black heads popping up, also. One right as the big one crouches down again, they're close behind it and quick. I need to try to find where I noticed them in the close up.

I've been watching this short, clear version to see if I could find what the filmmaker said was two more in the distance moving in a similar manner to the subject in question, but I can't discern any.

-- In the comment section of ThinkerThinker's video, Reeve gives information about where the other subjects are (and you'll have to watch ThinkerThunker's version to follow the advice Reeve gives): 

“The other two BigFoots are positioned at time 0:08 where the upper left corner of letter  "N" in North points to a black spot. The Second BigFoot of the trio is positioned at time 0:10 just as the letter H in NORTH fades out; The black spot is indicated at the lower right corner of the letter H. Both objects are moving on their own and changing shape very slightly as if to be observing as the camera pans to right. They both have the same shade density of black as the hero BigFoot that we see clearly running. I believe these are the other Big Foots in the ambush."

Although JKH, you seem to have found still more of them!  

Something I noticed in the youtube clip I included, early in you can see a close up shot of the herd. The filmmaker said they would never put someone in a position the possible bigfoot/poacher/biker is in as it would be too dangerous, but we see the closeup, very closeup of the herd. I suppose it could be a remote camera, even though it pans.

Some of the camera shots look close enough that the crew could have been sitting among the caribou while they were resting. It doesn't look that dangerous to be close and filming them, though if they were in a full run, and close together they might not see you before they run over you. Most of the time it looks like they do just steer away from people. I don't think I would deliberately hide in a gully directly in their path thinking I would just knock them down if they tried to run over me.

Yeah, the close-up thing is puzzling. A zoom lens is critical for a documentary filmmaker, because of the flexibility it affords when capturing footage in unpredictable, uncontrolled shooting conditions like the ones Reeve faced here. A zoom lens allows you to switch between closeup and wide shots quickly, before the action passes completely, and you're no longer able to get the shots you want. And it would also allow the crew of this particular film to avoid getting trampled by the herd. 

But I'm not sure an iMAX camera offers the option of using a zoom lens, so I don't know what's up with that, unless they had a special lens made. 

But Reeve says this in the comments section of the video Rockape was looking at (not the ThinkerThunker video; the one called "Bigfoot in the iMAX movie Great North"):

“...try to get within 200 yards of a caribou on foot; their survival instinct is more intelligent than us humans.â€

So it sounds like a camera operator was never closer to the herd than 200 yards -- which again suggests either that a zoom lens was in use, or the camera was set up to run unattended for those shots that look like closeup shots. 

Edited by LeafTalker