This Bigfoot Problem

FarArcher

Hmmm ... if their eyes are conventional, just very sensitive, weapons-mounted strobe lights should mess up their night vision.   That would have a couple additional benefits including degrading their aim throwing stuff as well as impeding their ability to move quietly in cover. 

A lot depends on the details of the terrain and cover that I don't have.    There are pros and cons of night extraction vs waiting for daylight.    If you're waiting for daylight then "doing the deed" as close to daylight as possible to minimize the wait would be wise.   Can you approach the location undetected or will they know you're there in advance, just not know your intentions?  

Regarding bum-rush ... use terrain or other obstacles so they have to slow down to change direction rather than being able to come in full speed.    It's what I do with a bear charge, it's what I did when confronted with the "MIB" inspiring my screen name here.   Terrain and flora will determine what avenues of stealthy approach they have, too.   Perhaps rather than plugging the holes, you strengthen the already less useful approaches further limiting their choices.  

Given the costs of the equipment you've mentioned, I'd get the body out pronto, in the dark, via a long line from a chopper mounted with a strong pulsing strobe, then your team only has to worry about extracting themselves.    Might consider 2 or even 3 teams, one to maintain the exit and possibly one to secure the vehicle so you really do have an exit.

It's an interesting table-top exercise.   It's not one I've given any thought to regarding bigfoot but there are other situations I have planned for with some similarities.

MIB

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
16 hours ago, Twist said:

CM,

Pretty sure if someone saw a BF, as described by multiple witnesses, hanging in a cave, the comment would not be, "Gee that's a pretty big human you have hanging up in the cave"

I would imagine it would be closer to,  "holly crap what is that "thing" you have having up in that cave"    In which case, the response at that time is either, "I dont know yet" or "Some sort of bipedal ape"

A creature on 2 feet does not equal a human.

But it does (possibly) equal a human ancestor, so we are it but it is not we?

It is in our past but "we" are not in it's future of all possible futures.

The mutually exclusive exclusionary rule, which I just made up, as opposed to the mutually inclusionary rule.

You saw it on BFF first!!! :rock:

6 minutes ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

But it does (possibly) equal a human ancestor, so we are it but it is not we?

No, as-worded, that's kind of ... stupid.    We shared an ancestor, but for it to still be that ancestor, its evolution had to have stopped while ours continued.   Biology doesn't work that way.  Mutation, especially in mtDNA, happen at a pretty constant rate.  Whatever it is, it's had exactly the same amount of time to evolve from the split that we have had.  We **both** went our own separate way, nobody stopped.  That's an unavoidable truth.

MIB

Edited by MIB

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
7 minutes ago, MIB said:

No, as-worded, that's kind of ... stupid.    We shared an ancestor, but for it to still be that ancestor, its evolution had to have stopped while ours continued.   Biology doesn't work that way.  Mutation, especially in mtDNA, happen at a pretty constant rate.  Whatever it is, it's had exactly the same amount of time to evolve from the split that we have had.  We **both** went our own separate way, nobody stopped.  That's an unavoidable truth.

MIB

As usual you are misreading, reading into, and taking it wrong, but I like you anyway.

And no, it's not "stupid". Although that may be your opine (thanks anyway). :huh:

Depends which relative it is (say, Homo Habilis VS Boisei).

Who said stopped? It's called word play not argumentation and is the difference between taking humor seriously and not having a sense of humor.

What is implied is abstract, but thanks for trying to sum it up incorrectly for me.

Just say what you mean and not what you think I mean.

And go for a point by point rebuttal of actual arguments.

you create less hostility that way, unless that was your intent.

At any rate I'm not feeling hostile in response, lets just say argumentative and looking for the exit.

(oh wait! here it is) :offtopic: 

I think those that claim that bigfoot belongs to the genus Homo have a lot of explaining to do. I agree with CM.

Its us until that becomes inconvenient with the evidence or search practices and then people start associating a whole new tool box of non homo capabilities to it.

But somehow its still us.

3 hours ago, MIB said:

Hmmm ... if their eyes are conventional, just very sensitive, weapons-mounted strobe lights should mess up their night vision.   That would have a couple additional benefits including degrading their aim throwing stuff as well as impeding their ability to move quietly in cover. 

A lot depends on the details of the terrain and cover that I don't have.    There are pros and cons of night extraction vs waiting for daylight.    If you're waiting for daylight then "doing the deed" as close to daylight as possible to minimize the wait would be wise.   Can you approach the location undetected or will they know you're there in advance, just not know your intentions?  

Regarding bum-rush ... use terrain or other obstacles so they have to slow down to change direction rather than being able to come in full speed.    It's what I do with a bear charge, it's what I did when confronted with the "MIB" inspiring my screen name here.   Terrain and flora will determine what avenues of stealthy approach they have, too.   Perhaps rather than plugging the holes, you strengthen the already less useful approaches further limiting their choices.  

Given the costs of the equipment you've mentioned, I'd get the body out pronto, in the dark, via a long line from a chopper mounted with a strong pulsing strobe, then your team only has to worry about extracting themselves.    Might consider 2 or even 3 teams, one to maintain the exit and possibly one to secure the vehicle so you really do have an exit.

It's an interesting table-top exercise.   It's not one I've given any thought to regarding bigfoot but there are other situations I have planned for with some similarities.

MIB

MIB - aye.  Terrain means a lot, and you're understanding the potential threats and you've come up with some good counters.

Just to give you something else to consider, helicopter extractions?  You're exposed.  Very exposed.  To something that can throw a cannonball sized rock - like a cannon ball.  At night, it's even worse as you can't even see to duck.  So we'll hole up and wait for sunup before we expose ourselves.  Behind an RPG screen.

The egress is long and has many switchbacks as it's a relatively steep mountain, so having a team at the bottom won't do us any good.  We'll be on our own during egress, exposed to more thrown rocks and trees if they do like they've already done twice before.

Edited by FarArcher

You'll have to forgive me FA, but this whole thing is playing out as a B monster movie in my head.

Commandos hunting a superior beast on its terrain in the name of science.  Complete with high powered weapons, helo extraction and at least one scene where a commando is shaving his 5'oclock shadow with a big knife.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't thinking helicopter for the team, I was thinking helicopter extraction of the body.   Long line, maybe several hundred feet, as used in helicopter logging and a downward pointing strobe to befuddle the eyes of "anyone" trying to throw rocks upwards.   Preserve the body, have the team hunker down, exit in daylight or hike out to a vehicle in the dark.  However, if the terrain is very steep that won't work because a helicopter-mounted light won't be pointed where the rocks come from.  

Switchbacks are a real problem.  They reverse the roles having to slow down to change directions.   Bad, very bad. 

While I'm not supportive of what you're suggesting doing, I am morbidly curious from a tactics/strategy standpoint.   The image of the location I have based on what you've said reminds me of two places and both have bigfoots at least at times.   I hope it is neither.  

• Upvote 2

MIB, I guarantee this location is not where you're thinking.

The switchbacks worry me the most.  These things can push over trees to block the cuts, and have up there.  They can throw large rocks - and have up there.

While you're rolling down to the next switchback, they can run downhill a short distance and be ready to hit you over, and over, and over, and over.  For miles and miles.

Edited by FarArcher

Cool, that makes me feel better.  

The two places ... both creepy.    One is one of two places that are really creepy yet really feel welcome, like refuge, to me.   There "are eyes" all the time.   Yet ... not in a bad way, at least not for me.   Empathy perhaps?   It's hard to explain.  I just know those are my peeps ... or I'm their peep.  :) I would happily walk in the dark with them there, maybe already have.   The other is spooky in a different way.   It's the highest mountaintop around and it's been mined flat before the mine we bankrupt.   There's a feeling of extreme exposure to whatever is above.   I don't like it much, gives me vertigo.

The switchbacks on both of "my" mountains would kill you if you slip.   The one with the better road is still extremely steep, hard rock, very bumpy, with enough loose rolling rock to be treacherous.   You don't need "help", just losing your concentration would be enough.  

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 1

Bigfoot can huck a giant rock at you, but you can't get a bead on them?

Why not?

Where are these dangerous switchback roads?

Why would they build such dangerous roads?  Why did Bigfoot not destroy the roadbuilders by dropping trees on them and hucking boulders at them?

Huge mining trucks could make it up and down, but the Ol' Ford Ranger can't handle it?

I'm just trying to figure out where such dangerous places exist in the lower 48.  It seems like there might be some embellishment taking place here.

Can you point out where this place is?  

• Upvote 1

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
13 hours ago, Twist said:

You'll have to forgive me FA, but this whole thing is playing out as a B monster movie in my head.

Commandos hunting a superior beast on its terrain in the name of science.  Complete with high powered weapons, helo extraction and at least one scene where a commando is shaving his 5'oclock shadow with a big knife.

You need to surround your canyon with a box 400 people in driving lines that converge, driving the beast toward the opening to a trap.

Or you can use a squadron of black helicopters with FLIR and air to surface rocketry, the only problem then is you will only get chunks.

The third option is lighter than air craft that can remain stationary over canyonlands and high altitude terrain listening and looking with surveillance platforms to map locations and movement and behavior.

Or you can send in the recon teams cold camping on ridgelines with good optics and remaining quiet and surveilling and scoping with sniper rifles and sound sensor networks for enemy "er, cough*, ahem",  Bigfeets. Maybe you bag one, make a new friend and share your brownies, or get some good footage and natural observation.

The fifthe options is to randomly hike up high altitude canyonlands and ridgelines and hoping for happy accidents.